New clam receded mantle

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New clam has been in the tank about 12 hours. It's probably 4-5 inches long. Picked it up at a drag swap yesterday and it had quite the long ride to get home. When I got home it was pretty closed up and pulled into itself. It doesn't really seem to be filling back up so I'm starting to wonder if the trip did it in. He's in a 90 gallon that has been set up over a year. Reef breeder lights that are growing some SPS and it's currently placed on the sand bed.

60b65d3ba4d04edc841eedceaadd5454.jpg

OP
OP
Kentech5

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New clam has been in the tank about 12 hours. It's probably 4-5 inches long. Picked it up at a drag swap yesterday and it had quite the long ride to get home. When I got home it was pretty closed up and pulled into itself. It doesn't really seem to be filling back up so I'm starting to wonder if the trip did it in. He's in a 90 gallon that has been set up over a year. Reef breeder lights that are growing some SPS and it's currently placed on the sand bed.

60b65d3ba4d04edc841eedceaadd5454.jpg

The more I look at it the more I think this guys a goner. It's a shame it looked great at the swap but it has looked rough since it came out of the bag. Clean up crew isn't going after it yet so I'll let it be just in case.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I would say it's a goner as well. Looks like a Derasa, a fairly hardy clam. Must have been transport and acclimation stress.

OP
OP
Kentech5

Kentech5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been checking it through the webcam on the tank since last night so I knew it wasn't doing well. I think it was done before I even tried acclimating. Ah well I'll try again eventually. Hopefully I can find a decent price close by so the drive doesn't add all that stress.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back