New Clownfish aggressively swimming in QT, not eating

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

My new 75 gallon + 25 gallon sump has been running for two months but without fish. I have some trochus snails and small blue leg hermits that have been in there for about 3 weeks. I cycled the tank with Dr.Tim's and pure ammonia for a fishless cycle. I added copepods a month in and have been dosing 15ml of phytoplankton daily. I also on occasion (2-3 times a week) ghost feed a pinch frozen food. I kept a sponge (rated for 30 gallons) inside of the sump for those two months with the intention of using it to quarantine my first fish.

7 days ago I purchased two small (about 1.5"-1.75") tank-raised clownfish. And because of brookynella that killed a clownfish in my first reef 7 years ago, I always try to prophylactically treat for it. I acclimated the fish in a bucket down to the 1.020 SG of my QT and had another bucket ready with the Ruby Reef Rally. I kept them in the bath for 90 minutes and transferred them to the QT with a pre-dosed copper level of 1.0 using Copper Power and a Hanna Checker. The QT is a 15 gallon acrylic aquarium (30" long) with two large pieces of PVC, a sponge filter (from my sump), and a powerhead. Obviously the first day they were super stressed and I left the light off and let them settle down. The second day I tried feeding some frozen mix that they would bite but spit out. I also started dosing the metroplex, and dosed Aquaforest BioS. Third day I tried to feed again and they refused, so went out and got some Omega enriched frozen brine with some garlic power. One of them ate a couple of those the other seemed to ignore it. The one that ignored it seemed to be staying in the heavy current area. But I suspected it was just still stress.

I out of town for a day. I came back and tried to feed them but neither would eat. My seachem ammonia alert still registered "safe ammonia", but I tested with my Tropic Marine kit and it might have registered some ammonia 0.02, but that is the lowest it will show. Regardless I did a 33% waterchange just in case. My first mistake was that I didn't re-elevate the copper till the next day. Yesterday, still no luck with eating and the fish that likes the flow is still frantically swimming into the flow (seems to never stop). I did another waterchange, this time making sure I brought the copper back level up with it.

I can understand if the fish are going on food strike for a while (I've had some go almost two weeks without eating), but the one fish that is constantly swimming into the flow is concerning me. I hope it's not something like velvet. It doesn't show any physical signs outside of maybe some faded color. Breathing is elevated, but maybe because of all of the swimming. It could have also been ammonia poisoning, though I'm doing my best to make sure ammonia isn't an issue with waterchanges and bateria dosing. Is there a way to distinguish between ammonia poisoning and velvet? I have all of the medications/equipment that I need to handle either scenario, but I'd rather not put the fish through any additional stress if I don't need to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply
No, no signs, and nothing physical. However, per this thread by @Humblefish, which I totally agree with, they should be treated chemoprophylactically. They were tank raised (and from SeaAndReef) but they were held at my local LFS for about a week with the other fish.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. I just wonder if you threw much at them all at the same time? During the QT process for us, we observe them and treat when neccessary. Just the way we do it though. I have learned in thos hobby that what works for person may not work for the next person

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.0ppm seems high to start a copper treatment at. You should be gradually increasing to this level over several days. How is your water chemistry now No2 etc?

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. I just wonder if you threw much at them all at the same time? During the QT process for us, we observe them and treat when neccessary. Just the way we do it though. I have learned in thos hobby that what works for person may not work for the next person
There is a chance I threw too much at them, but was based on careful research especially from this section of R2R. I appreciate your input. And you are right it's person to person. For me personally, I try my best to be as cautious as possible when it comes to what goes into the DT. And I make sure that I try to do the research beforehand.

1.0ppm seems high to start a copper treatment at. You should be gradually increasing to this level over several days. How is your water chemistry now No2 etc?

The 1.0ppm copper treatment initially was based on this thread.

I just did another test for parameters.
Ammonia is at <=0.2 (aka lowest level measurable with Tropic Marin kit)
Nitrite is undetectable
Nitrate between 0.5ppm and 1ppm

Which makes some sense since I did two 33% WCs the past two days.

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance I threw too much at them, but was based on careful research especially from this section of R2R. I appreciate your input. And you are right it's person to person. For me personally, I try my best to be as cautious as possible when it comes to what goes into the DT. And I make sure that I try to do the research beforehand.

The 1.0ppm copper treatment initially was based on this thread.

I just did another test for parameters.
Ammonia is at <=0.2 (aka lowest level measurable with Tropic Marin kit)
Nitrite is undetectable
Nitrate between 0.5ppm and 1ppm

Which makes some sense since I did two 33% WCs the past two days.
Aim to completely remove all trace of ammonia, Copper will deplete your numbers of beneficial bacteria. Stop trying to feed them until ammonia is in check.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recommend more WCs or some other way of reducing ammonia?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you tried cubed chopped squid (Hikari)

mine wouldn't eat anything either until i tried squid. that opened the doors to other foods and now fat and happy.

i tried rods, garlic soaked Mysis, brine, live blood worms, black worms and pretty much everything else. Had a few old cubes still left in freezer so figured what the heck. mine goes berserk as soon as squid hits the water.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump and update. The clownfish that I'm talking about is literally still swimming in the same spot for the past 24 hours, right in front of the powerhead. It's hard to tell if one of its eyes is cloudy or not. Still, neither is eating. Looking for advice on if I should try FW dip, Methylene Blue bath, Reef Rally bath, or nothing. Still pretty worried.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful clownfish. It doesn't appear that he is breathing heavy or anything like that from what I can see. The coloring doesn't look washed out or anything either. Clownfish sometimes present what we would consider strange behavior by us, but they are perfectly alright.

I would suggest focusing on getting the ammonia under control, and continue to monitor him. Sea and Reef usually only ship out healthy fish. He could have picked up something at the LFS. Did any of the fish at the LFS display any signs of internal or external parasites or disease?

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassurance. I will continue to monitor. The LFS did have some dead chromis and damsels in the other tanks. I believe all share the same water supply.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassurance. I will continue to monitor. The LFS did have some dead chromis and damsels in the other tanks. I believe all share the same water supply.
Ok, I see why you are being so cautious now. If this is a common thing for that LFS, I would try and talk to the manager and have them order what you want. It shouldn't cost anything extra, and I would ask them not to take the fish out of the bag. I have done this in the past, and it worked out quite well for me.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny that you mention that. I did order the fish, but they didn't come the day I expected. And so I had to wait another week, in the meantime I was out of town for a couple of days when the fish made it to the store, I picked them up two days later.

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish seems to have taken a turn for the worse. Now it's very lethargic and staying in a corner. Will do some more water changes? Should I keep the copper level up? I'm using Copper Power at 1.94

OP
OP
javisaman

javisaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish passed today :(. I actually suspect it was being aggressively harassed by the other clownfish. Though I'm surprised the aggression got to that extreme.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back