New clownfish not eating.

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, i bought 2 frosbite clowns, from DR reef, they are around 3”. Fat healthy fish. Quarantines for a month. And i don’t see any weird behavior from them.

They are not eating 3 days old in my tank, they avoid food. They are not scaring from me, very active. I tried bunch of frozen food, and life spectrum that has garlic. Nothing. I also tried flakes. They spit it out, inlcuding the pellets.

Ph:8.04
Temp is 77F.
Nitrate 16.8
Alk 7.8

IMG_4976.jpeg IMG_4957.jpeg

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you spot feeding them ? If not I would try that. Also, you should ask the seller what they were fed, and give them the exact same thing.

Often fish will only eat what they are used to for the first few days. Then they get more comfortable and bold and will try new stuff.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some PE mysis in garlic, thats how I get my finicky fish to eat! And add some algae with it. Or reef frenzy is also good.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some PE mysis in garlic, thats how I get my finicky fish to eat! And add some algae with it. Or reef frenzy is also good.
Are you spot feeding them ? If not I would try that. Also, you should ask the seller what they were fed, and give them the exact same thing.

Often fish will only eat what they are used to for the first few days. Then they get more comfortable and bold and will try new stuff.
Dr reef said he mix the frozen in selcon, and garlic extract. So i ordered selcon, and seachem garlic. Arriving tomorrow. I dont know how selcon would boost their appetite if they are not eating to begin with

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr reef said he mix the frozen in selcon, and garlic extract. So i ordered selcon, and seachem garlic. Arriving tomorrow. I dont know how selcon would boost their appetite if they are not eating to begin with
Okay. Is your frozen food the same brand and type Dr Reef is using ? Frozen foods don’t taste the same even if they contain the same ingredients.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. Is your frozen food the same brand and type Dr Reef is using ? Frozen foods don’t taste the same even if they contain the same ingredients.
Thats true. Im going to email him, and ask him he didn’t specify the brand, but he kept repeating the need to get selcon and garlic and report back

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats true. Im going to email him, and ask him he didn’t specify the brand, but he kept repeating the need to get selcon and garlic and report back
I just got a new fish myself and tried 8 different foods. He wouldn’t eat. I went back to the store and got the exact same thing he ate there. He ate immediately, and everytime I fed.

That‘s what I’ve been doing for the last few years and it really helps.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a new fish myself and tried 8 different foods. He wouldn’t eat. I went back to the store and got the exact same thing he ate there. He ate immediately, and everytime I fed.

That‘s what I’ve been doing for the last few years and it really helps.
I emailed him hope he tells me

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually give my new fish a wide range of frozen foods mixed together and with garlic and see what they like. I usually have them start eating the mix as they find pieces they like and grow accustomed to the food. I always start with freshwater PE mysis, fish go nuts for them and its good food for them to eat

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! I usually get the pallet version if thats available cause you get more in there vs the cubes but its the same brand
Before I buy more stuff because im already at 3-4 different variety of frozen with hikari, and pellets, and i also ordered garlic by seachem and selcon. let see me what i can do tomorrow.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I buy more stuff because im already at 3-4 different variety of frozen with hikari, and pellets, and i also ordered garlic by seachem and selcon. let see me what i can do tomorrow.
Sounds good! This is how I got my powder blue tang eating was this mixed with algae, it got my regal eating mixed with algae and sponge, and my new harlequin tusk I just acclimated to my QT went nuts for the food!

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! This is how I got my powder blue tang eating was this mixed with algae, it got my regal eating mixed with algae and sponge, and my new harlequin tusk I just acclimated to my QT went nuts for the food!
Do you think mixing their hikari brian shrimp with garlic would do the trick? I hope so without spending more money haha.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think mixing their hikari brian shrimp with garlic would do the trick? I hope so without spending more money haha.
Possibly, Ive heard mysis has more nutrition and the freshwater mysis is loaded with stuff for their diet as well as seems to have a smell in the water they cant resist in my experiance

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back