New comer to saltwater

Rjhall4191

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 17, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Location
Kannapolis
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a 90g setup the other day, and though it came with a used sump, I recently bought a 20g tank and a protein skimmer that I don't want to see the money go wasted. My questions are:

1. How do I set the protein skimmer up to the tank, and how does it operate?

2. How do I create a refugium inside the sump?
 
Creating a fuge is done by making compartments in the sump. Many divide them into two or three parts. Two would be drain/return area. Three could be drain/fuge/return area or drain/return/fuge area. Fuge are generally low flow to give pods and algae a spot to grow.

You could also use a remote fuge with a separate pump and have it gravity feed or pump back into your return.

Set your slimmer in your drain or return area. It should work at a certain water height, manufacturer will tell you. Many desperate them from the return to keep bubbles from getting into the display though.
 
Welcome home!

You'll love it here!
 
Welcome to R2R!

welcom.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new