New coral dying in a matter of hours.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But isnt it true that that only helps keep CA in solution - it doesnt affect anything - if the Mg its low Ca will precipitate.
My understanding of it is that the higher the magnesium level is the more calcium can be held in solution. I'm definitely not a chemist so there is a possibility I'm not understanding it correctly

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also the closest LFS is about an hour and a half away so it will be a while before I can get over there to test it.
One thing I forgot to ask and of high importance- did you acclimate and how did you acclimate, if you did. Sps mainly should be by drip OR water added to bucket over a 1-2 hr time span

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I forgot to ask and of high importance- did you acclimate and how did you acclimate, if you did. Sps mainly should be by drip OR water added to bucket over a 1-2 hr time span
I did a temp acclimate but I should have done a drip but I just added some water to the bag every few minutes.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zoanthids growing high and low in my biocube. The ones higher up took a little time to adjust to the light but they have done just fine
The zoanthids are towards the bottom so I don't believe it is just the light that is effecting them.

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a drastic change in water parameters that has them upset
Hopefully the zoanthids make it I don't have much hope for the other one. I will order some calibration fluid for the refractometer. If it still shows that it is 1.025 how should I lower the calcium and magnesium?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully the zoanthids make it I don't have much hope for the other one. I will order some calibration fluid for the refractometer. If it still shows that it is 1.025 how should I lower the calcium and magnesium?
It will be consumed by the tank inhabitants and drop, in your case probably very slowly since you don't have much in there to use it right now. A very important thing to keep in mind is patience, if you try to make rapid changes to your water chemistry you'll likely kill everybody in your tank. Even when everything is far from ideal your tank needs stability so make small, slow changes. Now that you have your new test kits definitely test a fresh batch of saltwater to see what you're actually putting in your tank, you may find that a change in brands of salt will help a lot. I use Tropic Marin pro reef salt and have had very good luck with it. It's not likely that your refractometer is off by a huge amount but the calibration solution is the most accurate way to set it.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% water change would be all I could think of.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50% water change would be all I could think of.
Since his tank is only two months old and he hasn't been dosing anything I'm thinking the salt mix is to blame for the high numbers. The only other thing I can think of is if his refractometer is way off for some reason and the salinity is crazy high then he'd need to slowly dilute the water with fresh water to bring things in line

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since his tank is only two months old and he hasn't been dosing anything I'm thinking the salt mix is to blame for the high numbers. The only other thing I can think of is if his refractometer is way off for some reason and the salinity is crazy high then he'd need to slowly dilute the water with fresh water to bring things in line
If the refractometer is off and the salinity is really high wouldn't kill the hermit crabs and snails?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the refractometer is off and the salinity is really high wouldn't kill the hermit crabs and snails?
My inverts and coral have survived some accidental 1.031 times. They weren’t happy, but they survived.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get 100 different opinions here on this subject but I really would recommend the Tropic Marin salt, it uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients and I've never had any inconsistencies from one bucket to the next. If you do change brands I'd personally change out 2 to 3 gallons of water a day until things are within normal ranges so it's a slow change and doesn't crash your tank

OP
OP
Aidanwolf

Aidanwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get 100 different opinions here on this subject but I really would recommend the Tropic Marin salt, it uses pharmaceutical grade ingredients and I've never had any inconsistencies from one bucket to the next. If you do change brands I'd personally change out 2 to 3 gallons of water a day until things are within normal ranges so it's a slow change and doesn't crash your tank
Wow Tropic Marin is double the price of the coralife salt lol.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back