New coral help please

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my parents just picked up some mushrooms, gsp, xenia and the guy at the store threw in a candycane coral as a freebie. So my first question is how do I aclimate them? Also I want to know if the candy cane coral is toxic and if I need to take any precautions when handling it.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would float bags in tank for roughly 15 mins then I drip acclimate for roughly additional 25-30 mins. I would just put them in with my hands but can’t hurt to use a glove it you want. Make sure to to not put any water from bags into your tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would float bags in tank for roughly 15 mins then I drop acclimate for roughly additional 25-30 mins. I would just put them in with my hands but can’t hurt to use a glove it you want. Make sure to to not put any water from bags into your tank.
I just wanted to make sure its was not some kind of paly andhad paly toxin. I am a total newby to corals.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would float bags in tank for roughly 15 mins then I drop acclimate for roughly additional 25-30 mins. I would just put them in with my hands but can’t hurt to use a glove it you want. Make sure to to not put any water from bags into your tank.
But these ones are not toxic, right? So there should be no worry about palytoxins?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
I have a serious problem with worrying, and did not think getting zoas would ease my anixety so I was trying to stay away from toxic corals.
I touch zoas/palys with my hand, not sure if that’s a smart idea but I haven’t seen a problem yet. But better safe than sorry!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Candy cane non toxic and hardy. feed it 2-3X per week.
These all require moderate light and water flow and a little iron in the water. As for acclimation. for coral, I typically float bags in the tank or sump and then release everything into a clean bucket. Grab a cup of water from tank and add to bucket every 15 mins 6 times, then do a quick dip and rinse in RO water and introduce into the tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I touch zoas/palys with my hand, not sure if that’s a smart idea but I haven’t seen a problem yet. But better safe than sorry!
All good- Just wash Covid Style for two minutes. Dont touch your eye with those fingers.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy cane non toxic and hardy. feed it 2-3X per week.
These all require moderate light and water flow and a little iron in the water. As for acclimation. for coral, I typically float bags in the tank or sump and then release everything into a clean bucket. Grab a cup of water from tank and add to bucket every 15 mins 6 times, then do a quick dip and rinse in RO water and introduce into the tank
So I just dip em real quik with r/o water then rinse with saltwater?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So I just dip em real quik with r/o water then rinse with saltwater?
Dip them in solution such as (seachem DIP, CoralRX or similar), then rinse in RO, Then add to tank

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I don't have any of those and I would have to wait a week becuase I have to order that stuff online. Whay exactly is the reason for dipping?
Many reefers as a substitute use Bayer insect control as a dip. It seems to work, but i prefer reff chemical version

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The place where you parents got the corals may also have the Seachem Reef Dip. Hopefully it is close or that you are close to a Petco, they carry it also.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dips are to remove pests. Examine each coral really well. Pull of/ scrape off anything that is not part of the coral. I also cut each coral from the frag plug. Those often have algae on them. You can use wire cutters if you have them.

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dips are to remove pests. Examine each coral really well. Pull of/ scrape off anything that is not part of the coral. I also cut each coral from the frag plug. Those often have algae on them. You can use wire cutters if you have them.
Cutting them off the frag plugs seems pretty intimidating.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back