New coral help please

ThatPhillyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.
I have a serious problem with worrying, and did not think getting zoas would ease my anixety so I was trying to stay away from toxic corals.
I was afraid of getting Zoas at first but trust me if you get them you will love them. They grow rapidly and colors are stunning. Even tho it releases a toxin as long as your not manhandling, fragging obnoxiously, and boil your rock, you should be good.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of fast growers there. They will fill the tank pretty quickly (especially the gsp and xenia)
Give them as much room as you can, but I like corals so I tend to fill in the spaces then trim them

OP
OP
Clownshow

Clownshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot of fast growers there. They will fill the tank pretty quickly (especially the gsp and xenia)
Give them as much room as you can, but I like corals so I tend to fill in the spaces then trim them
Is it possible to move a mushroom if it is getting to close to another coral?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to move a mushroom if it is getting to close to another coral?
Yes and no. In general you need to cut them off the rock once attached. Then put it in a container with a mesh lid so it gets flow, with lots of little rock pieces so it can reattach to one. You often end up with two mushrooms - one also growing from the cut foot.

But I don't think you need to move it at all. Mushrooms can detach whenever they want, so if its getting bothered by another coral it will detach and float around until it finds a new spot.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I never knew about those toxins when I started this hobby and got bad at never wearing any gloves had no issues I think it’s more if your just allergic so you’ll find out soom

Nothing to do with being allergic. Palytoxin is one of the most powerful poisons out there.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to acclimate Mushrooms you can just transfer if you have a healthy tank. Those things are super hardy compared to most other coral.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much space should I leave bettween the corals to grow?

I have found different corals tolerate each other more than others. Zoas seem to do fine with leathers and shrooms. More so with leathers (lobophytum, sarcophyton, sinulara, etc. Mushrooms seem to do fine with those leathers as well. However nephtheidea species they will burn. Zoas seem to be okay with. Litophyton will burn toad stools, but don't seem to harm other nephtheidea species. Gorgs hate everyone. As long as they don't touch anyone they seem okay. Sponges I am up in the air about honestly. I have sponges that grow naturally in my tank, but I have no idea just how toxic they are. New data suggests they are not a good thing to have with corals. IDK. I don't have any hard corals or LPS, but when I did, the LPS were quite aggressive. Torches, frogspawn, hammer, could extend sweeper tentacles three to four times the size of the normal tentacle or even longer to get rid of near by corals. I have found most LPS to be highly aggressive. Gonipora are terrible. I love them but they are MEAN.
If it has tentacles I'd say make sure you leave 3-5 times the length of those tentacles between corals. Like corals, like toad stool to toad stool, seem to be okay with one another (so far) not to say that can't change.

pjdiddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome starter corals. Zoanthids will be perfect on that size of a tank, plus they come in variety of colors. They do have toxins but as long as you do not have cuts while handling them or get their juices in your eyes you should be safe.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back