New Current USA Orbit R24 LEDs

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Excited to share my wife and I received our new, and newly released last week, Current USA Orbit R24 lights. We did the 3 light setup for our 75g eventual mixed reef.

I had reached out to Current to ask about lighting for this tank and sps corals, since there were so many mixed reviews.

They responded that they would be releasing these lights soon if I could wait until release. I did, and am extremely pleased. They sent me some par data on a 24" deep tank. My tank is 21" with a 2 or 3" sandbed, so I figured these were exactly what I was looking for.

Their customer service and dealing with my many questions was above and beyond what I expected from a bigger company. They are even sending us a free light gift for our next tank. Didn't ask for it at all, they simply were that nice and going above and beyond for a random customer.

The Bluetooth app, and the individual controls for the lights is amazing. We've got a nice sunrise/sunset feature, which my wife and I both wanted. Very impressed with this system! I'll be sure to report back.

Added a jedi mind trick Monti, gsp, and zoas today from our 20g.

Sunrise begins at 9 am... 15% blue, 10% white, 10% green

Daylight is 75% blue, 40% white

Sunset is 25% blue, 10% white, 10% red

Moonlight for 3 hours is 10% blue only.

Hope this is a decent lighting schedule. Any thoughts?

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on these lights!

20210504_130020.jpg
20210504_160708.jpg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool, nice to see them coming out with a quality led after all this time. I wonder how it will compare with red sea reefled 50, ai prime hd, maxspect jump etc. Nice that there is a mix of good, mid output leds out there as of lately.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any noticeable discoball effect?

Not at all so far.

I don't have a par meter, but they sent their readings to me and on a 24" tall with the 3 lifjtsn, they were hitting in the 510+ at top and 100+ on bottom.

Coverage is great on my 75 except for the annoying plastic trim bars. Shimmer looks great.

The app so far has worked just as we hoped. Nice ramp up and down, but that's already available with their other lights.

Were gonna begin getting some easier sps to start and see how things go.

Very excited to get the free 36" marine orbit strip for our upcoming 40g breeder. Crazy awesome how they just sent that. I'm a big fan of this company so far. Extremely good customer service.

Really thinking my next freshwater lights will be the serene leds. Thanks guys!

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 3 days now, still extremely impressed.

We put our other corals in last night at the bottom of the tank to adjust.

The jedi Monti has all of its polyps out already. They were retracting in the 20g.

The Duncan has exploded. It seriously looks like it grew an inch overnight. We have 5 baby sprouts on it as well!

Zoas are opening fully and are doing well so far.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are they, and how is the ramp up and down is it smooth or noticable?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high are they, and how is the ramp up and down is it smooth or noticable?
I've got mine 8 inches off the tank. I have no clue if that's too high or low, but I've got perfect coverage with no dead spots other than the tank braces in the way.

Ramp up and down takes a good bit and isn't noticeable like some fixtures. It's seamless for sure. Overall I'm just very impressed. Not trying to just give Current a good review bc of these and the free light, it's actually very good lighting.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plugged Current USA in the Lounge forum. Awesome customer service! Great product, just wish their lights were more powerful.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

They are also coming out with ones more powerful then the r24 to replace the high powered 4224 version (this isn’t the ic loop stuff etc), it was their 800 dollar light. It will be neat to see how they compare to the 4224 on larger tanks like mine that’s a 240 and 34 deep. But they look really neat and should be in the process of testing them soon. Curious how they would work off the rim like the old ones with two of the 4224 on either side. The power difference though is huge, do to the off the water compared to the r24 the 4224 is over 1200 par. At the bottom they hit close to 150 but my tank is 34 deep. Definitely exciting to see.
As far as service goes, Brandon and Ike are absolutely fabulous, and because of this I eill always use their product. They are the most professional company (reefing and most others also), that I have come across:

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello;

They are also coming out with ones more powerful then the r24 to replace the high powered 4224 version (this isn’t the ic loop stuff etc), it was their 800 dollar light. It will be neat to see how they compare to the 4224 on larger tanks like mine that’s a 240 and 34 deep. But they look really neat and should be in the process of testing them soon. Curious how they would work off the rim like the old ones with two of the 4224 on either side. The power difference though is huge, do to the off the water compared to the r24 the 4224 is over 1200 par. At the bottom they hit close to 150 but my tank is 34 deep. Definitely exciting to see.
As far as service goes, Brandon and Ike are absolutely fabulous, and because of this I eill always use their product. They are the most professional company (reefing and most others also), that I have come across:
Do you expect these new lights to be extremely expensive? Meaning the r24 is the best bang for your buck?

nicholas2010e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Excited to share my wife and I received our new, and newly released last week, Current USA Orbit R24 lights. We did the 3 light setup for our 75g eventual mixed reef.

I had reached out to Current to ask about lighting for this tank and sps corals, since there were so many mixed reviews.

They responded that they would be releasing these lights soon if I could wait until release. I did, and am extremely pleased. They sent me some par data on a 24" deep tank. My tank is 21" with a 2 or 3" sandbed, so I figured these were exactly what I was looking for.

Their customer service and dealing with my many questions was above and beyond what I expected from a bigger company. They are even sending us a free light gift for our next tank. Didn't ask for it at all, they simply were that nice and going above and beyond for a random customer.

The Bluetooth app, and the individual controls for the lights is amazing. We've got a nice sunrise/sunset feature, which my wife and I both wanted. Very impressed with this system! I'll be sure to report back.

Added a jedi mind trick Monti, gsp, and zoas today from our 20g.

Sunrise begins at 9 am... 15% blue, 10% white, 10% green

Daylight is 75% blue, 40% white

Sunset is 25% blue, 10% white, 10% red

Moonlight for 3 hours is 10% blue only.

Hope this is a decent lighting schedule. Any thoughts?

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up on these lights!

20210504_130020.jpg
20210504_160708.jpg
I am thinking about ordering some. Do you know what the par is at different levels? their website only shows the bottom at 24in

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I think I will pick some up. It was 490-510 par with the settings you have above?
That was what I was shown earlier on a 24" depth bare bottom tank. They were raised close to the same height as mine.

I would assume my tank being only 21 and 2-3" of sand I would have more at the bottom.

I hit the ugly stage of this tank in 4 days with these settings. Ready to get past that, but the lights so far are incredible. Corals are growing much better than in our 20g just after a few days.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates I recently ordered the 2 fixture setup, I might order a third depending on whether or not I can figure out how to mount a center one around my overflow box. It'll be over a 40B.

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly stage hit quickly after I added these.

However, corals are showing growth and polyps already. Colors are strong so far. We only have one sps, a jedi mind trick Monti. It was losing its color and polyps in the 20g. Acclimated and adjusted to this light, and it's already turning back green with a ton of red polyps.

Still very impressed.

Side note, they sent me a free 24-36" Marine Orbit light for our 40g breeder softie/LPS tank. I'm assuming it will be enough for zoas, gsp, xenia?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 26.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back