New DIY Two Part Recipes with Higher pH Boost

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, not sure if this came up in the pretty long thread but can I use just the Alk (Randy's sodium hydroxide) with standard BRS calcium?

It's difficult getting some of the ingredients easily here in Jamaica which is why I ask. I do NSW water changes and sometimes add a bit of BRS mag.

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I'm stating with the latest DIY Alk and Sodium and Calcium and Mag on the 25th April 2019. I'm not sure how the test will come out the next day So I'm reducing the amount that is auto dosed into my reef tank. Should I be this concerned?

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, not sure if this came up in the pretty long thread but can I use just the Alk (Randy's sodium hydroxide) with standard BRS calcium?

It's difficult getting some of the ingredients easily here in Jamaica which is why I ask. I do NSW water changes and sometimes add a bit of BRS mag.
Can I dose only Alk part and leave the calcium chloride from BRS as is? Someone please answer. I'm really stoked about this. Thanks guys.

alexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone using this with success?
I do. I live with this recipe for 2 weeks and it's great. My ph is about 0.2 higher than when I used baked soda based recipe. Equivalent alkalinity consumption increased when I started to use hydroxide based recipe, which means corals like it.
Tank is about 200L, I dose 24ml per day divided in 4 doses. I have no percipitate issues like some reported - I dose into return section of a sump. I find it fascinating how alkalinity part droplets turn into jello on contact with salt water and then redissolve in about 30 seconds.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it fascinating how alkalinity part droplets turn into jello on contact with salt water and then redissolve in about 30 seconds.

Just as an FYI, that material is magnesium hydroxide, like Phillips milk of magnesia.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I live with this recipe for 2 weeks and it's great. My ph is about 0.2 higher than when I used baked soda based recipe. Equivalent alkalinity consumption increased when I started to use hydroxide based recipe, which means corals like it.
Tank is about 200L, I dose 24ml per day divided in 4 doses. I have no percipitate issues like some reported - I dose into return section of a sump. I find it fascinating how alkalinity part droplets turn into jello on contact with salt water and then redissolve in about 30 seconds.
Where did you buy the mixes?

alexK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy the mixes?
I don't think it would be of any help - I live in Russia. I've bought components from local supplier. Food grade chemical are very hard to find, that's why I've bought analytical grade chemicals, not sure if translation from Russian purity scale is 100% correct though.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the Apex DOS pumps and reservoir with this DIY 2 part?

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these the correct items for the sodium hydroxide formula that increases pH and has Mg in it as well? TIA @Randy Holmes-Farley

Sodium Hydroxide - Pure - Food Grade (Caustic Soda, Lye) (1 lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W57NL8S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z.9gDb81X6E2P

Magnesium Chloride (1 lb.) by Pure Organic Ingredients, Eco-Friendly Packaging, Crystal Powder, Highest Quality, Oral Supplement, Food & USP Pharmaceutical Grade (Also in 4 oz, 2 lb & 4 lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZX3M1Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qa-gDbS9E8JJK

Calcium Chloride Flake - Dihydrate - CaCl22H2O - (1 lb) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L22EJ6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ma-gDbY7PG4GH

Duda Energy 1ssf Natural Sodium Sulfate Food Grade FCC 99+% Granular Anhydrous Crystals Salt Made in USA, 1 lb. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005K4EKQQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4a-gDb7SP8JWF

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all: I have been using Randy's recipe for the last half a year with great success. Now I'm wondering if any of you complement the recipe with some trace elements or additives to increase coral colours.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the Apex DOS pumps and reservoir with this DIY 2 part?

I use the GHL doser 2.1 and the recipients made by Tropic Marin. The only problem I have found is that as I use 2X calcium+magnesium the peristaltic tube gets clogged after a certain time and I have to replace it, but it's not big deal. Also I observe some precipitation in the calcium+magnesium recipient

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might try this out now that I'm out of soda.

What is everyone mixing these solutions in? I have been using milk jugs but I don't think that they can withstand the exothermic reaction, plus the seal is not great, and splashing high pH solutions all over the place seems like a pretty bad idea.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might try this out now that I'm out of soda.

What is everyone mixing these solutions in? I have been using milk jugs but I don't think that they can withstand the exothermic reaction, plus the seal is not great, and splashing high pH solutions all over the place seems like a pretty bad idea.
I use 1 gallon water containers form the store, since I have a a few gallons of water in my truck in case i get thirsty. There are always emptys laying around

Yogher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the GHL doser 2.1 and the recipients made by Tropic Marin. The only problem I have found is that as I use 2X calcium+magnesium the peristaltic tube gets clogged after a certain time and I have to replace it, but it's not big deal. Also I observe some precipitation in the calcium+magnesium recipient

Do you also find problems in hydroxide part?
I am wondering what is your long term experience of tubing exposed to extremely high pH like in hydroxide? Does it dissolve tubings of neoprene or silicone? Or does it make silicate release to tank?

I found some info on chemical resistance charts that silicone tubings are 2/3 resistant to 25% NaOH (in temp 20 Celc degrees), neoprene tunings are also 2/3 resistant

I also found that all of these materials can get dissolved at temperature of 100 celcius degrees of 25% NaOH (0 resistance) thats why we should cool out solution to room temperature

What are your long term experience with sodium hydroxide regarding risk of damaging tubings/pumps? Can you give me any hints on best material for tubing exposed to sodium hydroxide? maybe PTFE?

The other question, how long can hydroxide part last? I mean should we make it for maximum 1 month or 1 week because I believe it absorbs CO2 from air and gets it pH lowered?

Regards,
Marcin

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using this recipe (1x) since late July 2018 with a BM doser and airline tubing. There is clearly wear and discoloration on the airline tubing, however I have not had the heads or tubing fail yet and they still seem to be good after a bit over a year or use with this FWIW.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 115 58.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.4%
Back