New Ecotech MP-40wqd issue

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Just purchased an MP-40wqd from Bulk Reef Supply. I have installed it on my tank and it is running. The issue I am having is that it is very noisy. Specifically, the power supply is very noisy. The noise is louder at lower speeds and sounds like loud crickets when in short pulse mode. This a brand new item that I just purchased last week.

Bulk Reef Supply says that they are aware of the issue (Something about power supply supplier was changed).

I have been in contact with Ecotech, but they didn't offer me a fix.

This thread isn't to bash either BRS or Ecotech. I personally like both companies, their products, and service. I have older vortechs that are running strong. I have purchased thousands of dollars of equipment from BRS without issue.

Just want people to be aware that this issue exists in case they are ordering a vortech (It was a surprise for me). Especially since BRS just posted a video recommending it...

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else encountered this issue with a recent purchase of an mp-40wqd? If you have, please do let us know.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else encountered this issue with a recent purchase of an mp-40wqd? If you have, please do let us know.

None of the power supplies on my units have that issue. You can hear the pump slightly if it is ramping to 100%, but nothing like you are describing.

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase them recently? Like in the past few weeks?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the build date on your box? Mine are May and Jul 2019 and quite. If you’re not happy call Ecotech back and talk to a manager.

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received one from aqua cave. July 9 build date. Now I should test it I guess. I bought it as a backup.

Got mine from BRS, build date is aug 14, 2019. It literally sounds like loud crickets.

I did contact ecotech. I cannot show you the email response I got from them because it has a bunch of legal mumbo jumbo about confidential and blah blah. The only thing I think I can say is I did contact them and my issue was not resolved.

Going back and forth with BRS right now...

Very much surprised that I am the only one facing this issue.

OP
OP
Ameer214

Ameer214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to update. BRS did send me another mp40. The build date on this one is Aug20, 2019. The powersupply on the new one does not make the loud chirping noise. Ecotech was no help...

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that tough to believe.. I think you had a CS that wasn’t doing a good job. I had a vectra M2 pump that was louder than another vectra M2 I had. I sent them sound/video clips and we resolved the pump problem. They sent me a replacement. I don’t see why they couldn’t have done the same with your problem.

I wouldn’t say Ecotech was bad, just that CS person was.

Glad you got your replacement PS and your happy.

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed 2x Mp40QD (bought back on September 2019) and BOTH power supplies are making a high pitch noise. Ecotech CS asked me to send the power supplies back to them and even shoulder the shipping cost! I told him that is not an option as those are the only pumps keeping my reef alive. The CS simply closed the ticket right after.

I feel scammed... :(

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed 2x Mp40QD (bought back on September 2019) and BOTH power supplies are making a high pitch noise. Ecotech CS asked me to send the power supplies back to them and even shoulder the shipping cost! I told him that is not an option as those are the only pumps keeping my reef alive. The CS simply closed the ticket right after.

I feel scammed... :(

SOOOOO you can't find a couple of $10 amazon pumps while you get your multi hundred dollar water pumps fixed? Sounds like a personal problem more than a scam.. Ive always had pristine service from Ecotech. I don't expect them to send over a human to manually stir the water while they fix my very expensive pumps.

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just got one a while back haven’t used it yet sorta makes me nervous now I don’t expect them to come manually stir my tank but with the money I do expect good customer service if there is any issues

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoy have you contacted the retailer? Sometimes they will handle things for you.
I did contact @MarineDepot and the CS response was "this is the first time I heard about problems with their power supplies " and then sent me to Ecotech marine store to buy replacement power supplies (52$ each).

SOOOOO you can't find a couple of $10 amazon pumps while you get your multi hundred dollar water pumps fixed? Sounds like a personal problem more than a scam.. Ive always had pristine service from Ecotech. I don't expect them to send over a human to manually stir the water while they fix my very expensive pumps.
I had the mp40s sent to me where I live (saudi arabia) and sending the (brand new) power supplies back to the US for a fix will cost me a lot. Can you please send me those $10 amazon pumps that will work great for a 6foot reef tank? Will those keep my SPS alive? or at least a power supply that will work with the mp40s? Also, I dont get the "personal" problem thing, I love Ecotech products, I own 4x radions, Vectra L2, reeflink and the MP40s. I spent thousands of $$$ on their products and expected better customer support.

Just FYI, Ecotech CS refused to direct me to their local agent in the middle east (not sure where) since I bought those from a US store, I buy most of my reefing gear from US retailers since there are no LFS where I live...

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be following along, as I've got two new ones in the box waiting on my new tank. Mine have a manufactured date of Oct 2019.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did contact @MarineDepot and the CS response was "this is the first time I heard about problems with their power supplies " and then sent me to Ecotech marine store to buy replacement power supplies (52$ each).

I had the mp40s sent to me where I live (saudi arabia) and sending the (brand new) power supplies back to the US for a fix will cost me a lot. Can you please send me those $10 amazon pumps that will work great for a 6foot reef tank? Will those keep my SPS alive? or at least a power supply that will work with the mp40s? Also, I dont get the "personal" problem thing, I love Ecotech products, I own 4x radions, Vectra L2, reeflink and the MP40s. I spent thousands of $$$ on their products and expected better customer support.

Just FYI, Ecotech CS refused to direct me to their local agent in the middle east (not sure where) since I bought those from a US store, I buy most of my reefing gear from US retailers since there are no LFS where I live...

So “I had the mp40s sent to me where I live (saudi arabia)”

I know Saudi runs both 220V and 110V. Did you check the voltage ratings on the power supplies? Which voltage are you using?

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So “I had the mp40s sent to me where I live (saudi arabia)”

I know Saudi runs both 220V and 110V. Did you check the voltage ratings on the power supplies? Which voltage are you using?
You are absolutely right. I am running all of my equipment on a 110v/60Hz circuit. The MP40 power supply is rated for both 110/220v so power rating is not an issue.

UPDATE:

So I wanted to record the noise on video and guess what, one of the power supplies is DEAD! I am now down to one pump with a soon-to-die power brick. So much for a top $$$ pump, I should have kept my Gyres :(

Both MP40s were manufactured back on July 17, 2019. I will take the dead power unit to an electronic shop and see if it can be fixed.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not the first I have heard of with this problem. I have a new in box mp40 as a back up. I will have to open it and use it now to make sure it’s not got one of these bad power bricks. Also eBay had knock off replacement power supplies for a lot less.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
BTW I have two power supplies off two different mp40s making that same high pitch churp. At first I thought it was the controller until I payed attention. Its off the actual power supply

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back