OP
Big Daddy Reefer

Big Daddy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think that we can say that this is DSB for sumps. The result may be the same - lower NO3 as rest product. But the biochemical pathways are different IMO. This is a fresh water system from the beginning. Fresh water aquarists believe that free NH3/NH4 will favors micro algae growth and NO2 is highly toxic for fresh water organisms. They need a fast method to take care of the NH3/NH4 and NO2. Maybe this can work in SW too but more observations and experiences is needed.

Sincerely Lasse

Agreed, thanks Lasse.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lasse this is really old thinking people used this deep system 30 years ago.:) Then everyone got infatuated with Wizbang "reactors" so they could spend more money on their aquariums.
As a fossil - I love DSB and have an own development of that as you know :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Big Daddy Reefer

Big Daddy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did this 28 years ago with a tank system. Nothing but simple but people don’t like simple anymore. More bells, lights and money works in today’s aquarium hobby. [emoji3]

It certainly appears as though people are more tech/gadget motivated, seems like most tank builds start with a huge list of equipment. Don't get me wrong, technology is fun, but for those not interested there is an alternate way of housing salty creatures :D

OP
OP
Big Daddy Reefer

Big Daddy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few iPhone pictures, no lens and no water changes for 4 months

761337CE-0B43-479D-8DC0-52B4B2CCE3D6.jpeg
913C25D9-6D83-48B8-90B1-72EE1D5B6307.jpeg
06EAC930-9599-4873-82E3-1EC04746985D.jpeg
C3FF4EE2-D8DB-486C-8918-8DF97546B998.jpeg
882CDB1F-F8CF-4A73-8F16-42EFF4901119.jpeg
14DDBFFB-FD2F-4789-B157-D0E364EFAB08.jpeg
546FD67F-C807-466A-9488-1F97B07121E4.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following and interested. ...... but after a few 5 yr crashes ( I’m gonna sit this one out and watch for a few yrs

I have run a DSB with reversed flow (from bottom and up) for more than 3 years now. For the last 1,5 years - I have done a 15 % WC a couple of days ago - still no crash. When can I expect a crash and why?

Sincerely Lasse

Kieran McBride

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the kitty litter a few years ago in an sps dominant tank. It was a take on Miracle Mud, they are very similar as the kitty litter is actually Fullers earth but make sure it's unscented with no additives etc. It does work very well, but if memory serves me right, 50% should be changed every year, please do more research before taking that as Gospel.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Oil Dri is a similar product with no scents..available @ ace hardware..I am leery of the laterite...excess iron in the beginning could fuel a GHA problem until things settle down..

OP
OP
Big Daddy Reefer

Big Daddy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that iron only fuels GHA when nitrates and phosphates are present. The biocenosis-clarification-baskets prevent nitrates and phosphates from becoming nutrients for algae to grow.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the photos above I see nuisance algae on the rocks , especially the one with the zoas and the one just beneath it..so what's up with that ?

OP
OP
Big Daddy Reefer

Big Daddy Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on the photos above I see nuisance algae on the rocks , especially the one with the zoas and the one just beneath it..so what's up with that ?

Added a fish and increased feeding, takes a while for bacteria to catch up, don’t you know.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not buying that answer...I think your new filtration system needs some help..and this -"biocenosis-clarification-baskets " tells me you're over hyping it...
It's a good concept ....but my jaubert plenum tank after 4 mos has ZERO algae issues ,coralline algae growing all over everything ,with No calcium/mag supplementation....It's old school..but it's the most trouble free and simple way I know of to run a reef... been using this method since the late 80's with good results..Plenty of tweeks and trying new variations over the yrs...that's what i'm getting at with your system..great idea-may need a few adjustments to get it right...keep experimenting..

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some brands of catlitter is made of zeolite. It has been used many years now in reef tanks and can work well. There are many different kinds of zeolites and they work a little bit different. Some if not all work as an Ione exchanger for ammonia so they bind ammonia very fast. If they can release ammonia again to bacteria I dont know but the different kinds of zeolite is probably different in that aspect too. Zeolites often take up potassium so that might be a problem for some kinds.

Zeolite is branded as Zeovit and sold in great scale for reef tanks. Clinophilite is the name of the zeolite used there.
There is a forum: https://www.zeovit.com

Is catlitter good for reef tanks? That is probably different for different brands.

I hope to see a thread here soon: Poor mans zeolite method. (Zeovit is a trade mark so that name is blocked).

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some brands of catlitter is made of zeolite. It has been used many years now in reef tanks and can work well. There are many different kinds of zeolites and they work a little bit different. Some if not all work as an Ione exchanger for ammonia so they bind ammonia very fast. If they can release ammonia again to bacteria I dont know but the different kinds of zeolite is probably different in that aspect too. Zeolites often take up potassium so that might be a problem for some kinds.

Zeolite is branded as Zeovit and sold in great scale for reef tanks. Clinophilite is the name of the zeolite used there.
There is a forum: https://www.zeovit.com

Is catlitter good for reef tanks? That is probably different for different brands.

I hope to see a thread here soon: Poor mans zeolite method. (Zeovit is a trade mark so that name is blocked).

yeah man, I used a zeolite product that's marketed as kitty litter, it was 14 bucks for like 10 lbs from Home Depot!! Of course it's not as pure as Zeovit probably is... I think it's 95% "guaranteed" to be zeolite... but I just picked out the dark pieces and would rinse well in RODI if I do it again. It has zero additives, just mined product sifted for size and stuck in a bag. FTR I don't really have the BCS setup right now, I just have a gallon container that holds a "DSB" that has Zeolite on the top layers (aragonite/laterite on the bottom), but it only receives flow from the top since it's a plastic container and not a "mesh" "box." That said, the bacteria may be alive in my "DSB" and I could possibly transfer the substrate into something that gets "better flow" ie from the sides as well as the top... I may do that "at some point" but right now I am trying to slow down with changes to my tank...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back