New fish died

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question. I notice a lot of people get their livestock shipped in the USA. Is this normal? I’ve never had anything requiring shipping here. Not to speak out of turn but I find it quite inhumane all the shipping of livestock that goes on. All suppliers have a DOA guarantee which I find appalling. Happy to hear the reasons behind this.

sorry OP. Forgot to add I’m sorry for your loss and this isn’t a crack at you.
I’m not sure where you live, but even the fish and corals at the local fish store where shipped at some point. It’s how it’s been done for decades.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimation sounds fine to me and you had the fish far too long for it to be acclimation. Salinity was close enough that 30 min is fine.

I always try to get mine out of the bag water in 30 min. Either by acclimation if they are close in salinity or matching new water to the bag and transferring them directly to the new water (bucket) and then slow drip from there.

That is great he is replacing the fish for you. Most places would tell you to go pound sand after a months time. I had a fish from him die after a week and I never told him. I guess I should have lol I didn’t think there was any guarantee but some venders will still back their stuff up I guess. I have the other fish he sent (flame angel) for many months now doing well.

Be sure to be feeding what the fish will eat. If it won’t eat flakes and pellets then you can still add those to see if it will over time but you should be feeding better foods to keep it healthy.

Frozen mysis
LRS fish or reef frenzy (my fav)
Frozen spirulina brine
Nori

If you are a believer if Paul B then flakes and pellets (processed foods) are not that healthy for a fishes gut.

I won’t go into that but there’s no reason to think they have to eat pellets to survive or be healthy. Generally fish will sample for foods or time but not all.

Last edited:

Matrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure where you live, but even the fish and corals at the local fish store where shipped at some point. It’s how it’s been done for decades.
I understand that. But keeping it to a minimum is the best. Air freighting livestock across a continent hoping they survive with a DOA guarantee isn’t appealing.

“It‘s how we’ve always done it“ is also the worst excuse for change.

Its in my details where I live. My stock is pretty much transported once. I’m referencing the end point of sale which is online purchases delivered by mail. Can’t you get in you car, hand select and take it home?

Everything looks good on the interweb when you click add to cart but nothing beats seeing it in person and driving it home.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its in my details where I live. My stock is pretty much transported once. I’m referencing the end point of sale which is online purchases delivered by mail. Can’t you get in you car, hand select and take it home?

shipping is probably going to become even more common now with the cost of fuel where it is.
it's now cheaper for me to have several fish shipped to me for $30-$50 a in shipping charges rather than drive 4 hrs round trip to get to an LFS and hope to find what I'm looking for there.

I have one LFS in my town that sells SW fish, but selection is pretty poor. They only get the most common fish, nothing rare, unusual, not common. For example, if you want anthias, hope you are happy with lyretails, because that is all they ever get for anthias.... same with other fish, they only get the most common fish in the trade.

The next closest LFS is almost 2 hours away, so a 4 hour drive round trip to go get fish there. And same deal, hope they have what I'm looking for, but this store also has a limited selection.

Its far easier and cheaper to order several fish from an online supplier and get them all at once rather than driving around trying to find them locally.

When online suppliers are shipping for $30 - $50, I can't drive to an out of town LFS for that price anymore.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that. But keeping it to a minimum is the best. Air freighting livestock across a continent hoping they survive with a DOA guarantee isn’t appealing.

Everything looks good on the interweb when you click add to cart but nothing beats seeing it in person and driving it home.

lots of places you would have to drive many hours to closest LFS just because how big the country is and remote and smaller towns. So technically not everyone can.

I used to live in such a place for many years and had all my fish shipped. Survival was super high then as fish were much healthier than today. I moved and now 90 percent of my fish are from the LFS.

Matrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shipping is probably going to become even more common now with the cost of fuel where it is.
it's now cheaper for me to have several fish shipped to me for $30-$50 a in shipping charges rather than drive 4 hrs round trip to get to an LFS and hope to find what I'm looking for there.

I have one LFS in my town that sells SW fish, but selection is pretty poor. They only get the most common fish, nothing rare, unusual, not common. For example, if you want anthias, hope you are happy with lyretails, because that is all they ever get for anthias.... same with other fish, they only get the most common fish in the trade.

The next closest LFS is almost 2 hours away, so a 4 hour drive round trip to go get fish there. And same deal, hope they have what I'm looking for, but this store also has a limited selection.

Its far easier and cheaper to order several fish from an online supplier and get them all at once rather than driving around trying to find them locally.

When online suppliers are shipping for $30 - $50, I can't drive to an out of town LFS for that price anymore.
Thanks for the info and clarification. It is a shame it has to be this way though. I guess I’m lucky to have what I have but I do only stick to what’s available locally rather than order exotic online.

Matrig

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of places you would have to drive many hours to closest LFS just because how big the country is and remote and smaller towns. So technically not everyone can.

I used to live in such a place for many years and had all my fish shipped. Survival was super high then as fish were much healthier than today. I moved and now 90 percent of my fish are from the LFS.

Our country isn’t the smallest mate but we are lucky to be mostly populated on the coast with our major cities. Understand though with populous towns being spread out there. Just a shame it is what it is.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and clarification. It is a shame it has to be this way though. I guess I’m lucky to have what I have but I do only stick to what’s available locally rather than order exotic online.
To put some more perspective into this, I live in a very small town in Northern Michigan (state that looks like a glove). I simply don’t have access to a quality marine store. The closest is in Detroit which is 4 hours away by car. So for me having a fish overnighted to me means the fish is in the bag for maybe 8-12hrs in a packed box with a heating pad vs 4 in just a bag. Unless you live on the coasts here it’s almost impossible to get fish locally unless you live in a larger city.
I agree it’s not great but it’s just a reality for those of us who are geographically limited. I wish I had the access you Aussies do haha!

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree and everything I have in my tanks are from my LFS, I’m lucky to have a good one. But all to many don’t have that. I don’t like ordering online. Mostly all over priced and you really never get to see if it’s healthy.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and everything I have in my tanks are from my LFS, I’m lucky to have a good one. But all to many don’t have that. I don’t like ordering online. Mostly all over priced and you really never get to see if it’s healthy.
I haven't ordered (fish) online yet but even buying fish locally I've had several die QUICKLY. So i think I'm going to try Dr Reef for my next few fish as i don't want to QT and my LFS never seems to have exactly what i want. IMO the worst part of ordering from him is his shipping cost at $55.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is simply an inherent risk when shipping fish. @Dr. Reef is an excellent supplier. There is just some risk when shipping. Dr. Reef accepts the risk by replacing the DOA fish and even extends a guarantee to account for delayed responses. I would try again. I don't know the size of the specimens, but larger ones are usually more hearty.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Reef is great and is always responsive (ime) to issues! I had a doa and he sent me a replacement a week later. The shipping fee sucks for sure tho haha. But to be fair that’s a standard rate so not on him.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered (fish) online yet but even buying fish locally I've had several die QUICKLY. So i think I'm going to try Dr Reef for my next few fish as i don't want to QT and my LFS never seems to have exactly what i want. IMO the worst part of ordering from him is his shipping cost at $55.
Yep... shipping costs sucks Bundle orders to reduce cost. You can order more than one fish, add some inverts, or dry goods even.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a question. I notice a lot of people get their livestock shipped in the USA. Is this normal? I’ve never had anything requiring shipping here. Not to speak out of turn but I find it quite inhumane all the shipping of livestock that goes on. All suppliers have a DOA guarantee which I find appalling. Happy to hear the reasons behind this.

sorry OP. Forgot to add I’m sorry for your loss and this isn’t a crack at you.

Definitely a big thing in the US, still a thing in Aus just not as much I think as like you say, we're coastal cities mostly and have reasonable access to LFS.
In Aus it's also quite often airport collection only.

I recently experienced the shipping process for the first time moving from WA to NSW and having all my livestock sent over once I was set up. I also had some nems sent across and they were sent direct to my door as they didn't come with the previous batch I had to collect. Both were next day collection/delivery and shipped with a packet or two of warming substance (ie. something similar to Hot Hands body warmer that produces heat for extended periods). All livestock arrived happy and healthy.

Depending how close/far you live from a good LFS or the airport may influence how often a person does it too.
I personally prefer to buy in store and see first hand what I'm getting.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just wanted to say that we can’t know everyone’s situation and no, maybe some folks can’t get into a car and go to a LFS for various reasons including no car or no LFS nearby and hours to get to the nearest. And some ppl just prefer to order from someone like Dr Reef who QTs the fish for them b/c they can’t for various reasons. It’s best to not assume all folks situations are the same…

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really sorry to hear the loss for OP. not sure what happened. But i would watch for next week or so and see if remaining fish act and behave normal like they usually do. if you see any stringy poops from the clowns then they could be internally infected. Prazipro will take care of it and its reef safe.
I will replace both fish you lost next week as long as your livestock is acting normal. I want to rule out any disease.
No shipping cost to you. no replacement cost etiher.
I know my website says live arrival but honestly many can tell you here i dont mind replacing fish even days after. Who doesnt care about making money but i have said this many times I am a hobbyist first and business later. I feel the pain of lossing fish and money so I dont mind helping people out. This is a passion for me and extra pocket money so even if i dont make anything I love what i do and that what matters to me.

Last edited:

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have lol I didn’t think there was any guarantee but some venders will still back their stuff up I guess. I have the other fish he sent (flame angel) for many months now doing well.
Well you can email me and I will take care of you

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can email me and I will take care of you
That is very generous, thank you. I honestly just think it was shipping stress... one of those crap happens. This was back in November tbh.. the flame angel is still with me doing great, no further deaths or illness of any of my fish.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Tomini tang and a yellow watchman goby from Dr. Reef's QT fish last month. They came in on the 9th of this month and unfortunately, the YWG was DOA in the bag. Today I got up and found the Tomini tang had died. I'm soooo disappointed.

Since I had gotten him, he'd been super shy, always hiding when he spotted me but after doing some research a lot of people described similar behavior from their new tominis for the first few weeks. I saw him picking at the rocks eating since Day 1. The last two days he didn't seem to come out when I fed food and would just hide. He would eat frozen mysis, but flakes and pellets he didn't seem to want despite me feeding intentionally heavy. I had ordered some Selcon to try to entice him to eat more aggressively. I tried to examine him and couldn't see any lesions or spots on him his belly looked thin though. Also the clownfish still also look absolutely fine.

Any ideas? Could this be some sort of internal parasite that the clownfish gave to the Tang? Was this just too much stress for him moving to a new tank after the QT & Shipping process?

Dr. Reef said to watch my fish for a week to 10 days to make sure they are ok and he'll replace the fish (which is great, but I'm super disheartened by this. The last thing I want to do is keep killing fish in an attempt to fill up my tank).
I'm sorry to read that. My Blonde Naso tang from Dr. Reef arrived on the 9th and died this past Saturday. She didn't get as much food as the bigger tangs in the tank, but she was eating red macro. Friday she seemed off. Saturday she was dead.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to read that. My Blonde Naso tang from Dr. Reef arrived on the 9th and died this past Saturday. She didn't get as much food as the bigger tangs in the tank, but she was eating red macro. Friday she seemed off. Saturday she was dead.
email your claim in. Will help you replace it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back