New fish in QT

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 4 Bartlett Anthias and 7 chromis that are now in my 40b qt tank with seeded media. Ive been researching qt methods and a confused due to the differences in recommendations between two (reliable I assume) sources - Jay and Humblefish. I want to do what’s best for my fish but am getting mixed information. Here is my protocol mainly from Humblefish research (I’m open to other ways)

1) Feed metroplex medicated food per Humblefish instructions using frozen food, metroplex, and Focus once daily for two weeks.
2) Dose metro into tank every other day for two weeks.
3) This is the step where I find conflicting info - One source says copper power can be ramped up slowly during metro treatment and the other says it is not recommended to mix. I’m not sure what to do next?

The fish are all eating and have no visual signs of disease. The Bartletts have been at the lfs for around 6 weeks and ate when fed. The chromis were at the lfs for around 1 month and also ate.

All the fish are adjusting to qt and are eating with the exception of one chromis who does not eat vigorously, but does ea floating food.

i just administered my second dose of metroplex to the tank and have fed my second feeding of medicated food. This is day 3 of qt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recently purchased 4 Bartlett Anthias and 7 chromis that are now in my 40b qt tank with seeded media. Ive been researching qt methods and a confused due to the differences in recommendations between two (reliable I assume) sources - Jay and Humblefish. I want to do what’s best for my fish but am getting mixed information. Here is my protocol mainly from Humblefish research (I’m open to other ways)

1) Feed metroplex medicated food per Humblefish instructions using frozen food, metroplex, and Focus once daily for two weeks.
2) Dose metro into tank every other day for two weeks.
3) This is the step where I find conflicting info - One source says copper power can be ramped up slowly during metro treatment and the other says it is not recommended to mix. I’m not sure what to do next?

The fish are all eating and have no visual signs of disease. The Bartletts have been at the lfs for around 6 weeks and ate when fed. The chromis were at the lfs for around 1 month and also ate.

All the fish are adjusting to qt and are eating with the exception of one chromis who does not eat vigorously, but does ea floating food.

i just administered my second dose of metroplex to the tank and have fed my second feeding of medicated food. This is day 3 of qt.
While Metro is a good guard for uronema, ruby rally bath and then treatment in quarantine is effective as is formalin based treatments such as quick cure

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While Metro is a good guard for uronema, ruby rally bath and then treatment in quarantine is effective as is formalin based treatments such as quick cure
Got it. My reason for dosing metro is indeed for uronema due to Anthias and chromis being susceptible to it, and the medicated food is for any internal parasites that may be present.

i guess I need a plan for the treatment of ick. The fish are not showing any signs, but they could be carriers. The tanks they were in at the lfs were all connected, maybe 12 of them.

So, two weeks of metro for Uronema followed by 30 days of copper power? Or can I start ramping up copper power during the second week of metro? I’ll raise copper levels by .5 a day until I reach 2.5.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may read about our QT protocol in the link referenced below and decide which method you prefer. If you are not sure, you will need to weigh the differences considering what is important to you to reach your decision.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Got it. My reason for dosing metro is indeed for uronema due to Anthias and chromis being susceptible to it, and the medicated food is for any internal parasites that may be present.

i guess I need a plan for the treatment of ick. The fish are not showing any signs, but they could be carriers. The tanks they were in at the lfs were all connected, maybe 12 of them.

So, two weeks of metro for Uronema followed by 30 days of copper power? Or can I start ramping up copper power during the second week of metro? I’ll raise copper levels by .5 a day until I reach 2.5.
I personally would not mix metro and copper. Metro will address uronema which is flesh eating but the ruby rally would address the outside /surface of the fish

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just go with copper power (although I use coppersafe, they are essentially the same).

I'm not a fan of metronidazole except orally for internal flagellates. It just is not as effective as copper or chloroquine for external issues.

As for "mixing metronidazole with focus and food" - that cannot work except by accident. The question I ask is - what is the "as fed" dose? The answer always is "I'm not sure". Since people don't know the dose, then they shouldn't use that method. Too high of a dose can be toxic, too low, and there is no benefit. One huge issue with metro is that it is very bitter. If you get the dose correct, many fish will not eat the food.

The most commonly used dose is 100mg per kg of fish weight daily for three days. Since that is difficult to do (you need to estimate the weight of your fish) there is an alternative dose of 1% metro in food, fed daily for three days.

Here is an article I wrote on medicated foods:

Jay

OP
OP
Syntax1235

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I stopped metro and began a course of copper power a couple weeks ago, making sure to reach a therapeutic dose in about 4 days.

Dosing medicated foods may have been a mistake In my case. I continued to feed medicated foods for a few days, until I woke up to find a dead anthias that was eagerly eating the night before. I suspect overdose? A couple chromis that were barely eating ended up dying without any outward signs of disease.

The remaining three anthias and five chromis are doing well in copper and eating nutrient rich foods a few times a day, the anthias are fat! I’m feeding a mixture of Hikari brine, mysis, and Reef Nutrition roe soaked in selcon.

Now, if I could only keep the chromis from beating on each other. I hope the remaining chromis will be able to join the two that are currently in the dt.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear things seem to be on the right track. One thing, chromis can be very aggressive against each other .as their numbers decrease they get more and more aggressive sometimes to the point of killing off one by one. Also chromis are highly susceptible to uronema. You may want to research that so you will recognize it if it occurs.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back