New Fluval 123 Marine

leotigris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a beginner to marine and look forward to learning and enjoying the hobby. I have kept cold water and tropical for many years, this is the first time I’m doing saltwater.

I feel like a bit of a cheat on the build thread as the tank has been going for a little over 3 weeks now.

Setup

Fluval 123l (32 US Gallon) Marine

Fluval M 150w Heater

SUNSUN JVP-132 Fish Wavemaker Powerhead

11 KG (24lb) live rock

White aquarium sand

Fluval PS2 Protein Skimmer (Soon to be replaced with PS1)

C79823E8-7805-40BB-B258-FF31FDA982DE.jpeg

I went for the black Fluval 123l (32 gallon) all in one with cabinet for a number of reasons.
  1. I’m new to marine and thought it would be easier to get an all in one
  2. Space, the 123l was big enough as a marine but not too big for the living room
  3. It looks great! The curved front is really nice to look through, this made it stand out for me

Livestock

Pair of clowns

Porcelain Crab (live rock hitchhiker See thread)

The plan is to add a Royal Grammer soon
I would love some advice on what more I can add, I’d like to add some soft corals or LPS. Any advice on what’s easy to care for would be much appreciated

1FA1F659-49A3-4D3E-877F-CD2A0FAF8068.jpeg

Cycle

I had prepared to do a 5 week fishless cycle like I have done with tropical in the past however I was surprised when the lfs told me that certain fish can be added pretty much straight away when using a good colony.

The tank was setup on May 14th and I took the advice and 8 days later dosed with a full bottle of ATM colony before adding a pair of clowns.

Since then I’ve read a few conflicting views online about colony but hope that the fact that clowns are hardy means that they are ok.

About a week after adding the fish I started to get brown algae (assuming it’s diatoms) forming and nearly covering all of the sand. I kept the lights off for 3 days which has really reduced it.

I got the cloudy bacteria bloom about 2 weeks after adding the fish which lasted a couple of days. Ammonia readings are 0.

Hitchhikers

I’ve had a few hitch hikers on the live rock, a pleasant porcelain crab but others not so pleasant.

I noticed some vermatid snails on the live rock. I tried to break these off at the This seems to have reduced these. I’ve noticed a few more but not sure if these are dead, they are not sending out the white feeder threads.

Also had some brown stringy things reaching out from the rocks and think that these are tube worms. Switching the lights off seemed to have reduced these too, but I’m sure they will be back.

Overall it’s been fun setting the tank up. I love watching the clowns swim around, they are great at feeding time and swim right up to me.

Here’s a side view:

AA17DC79-1152-4419-AA24-DC7A4B351E11.jpeg

Looking forward to building up my tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats and welcome to the addiction!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back