New from Sacramento area

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been there for a while but did stop by back in January. Had a Regal that I was interested in but the holding tanks did not look good and several fish looked pretty unhealthy. The corals on the other hand looked good and in good condition visibly. This was back in January though. Wonder what is going on.

Not a lot of stores that maintain healthy systems. Was at Exotic this weekend. Outside the front display the holding tanks in back are pretty bad. They did have a trio of leopard wrasses that looked good in their dedicated tank. I've stopped by Exotic off and on going back to their little store of Florin next to Taps plastic.

The store in Rocklin moved and is now near Studio Movie Grill. They moved to a larger store but I've not been their recently since they opened. Can't say how they are. YourReef was the coral go to store though so bummer than they are having issues.
I really liked O Street. The one on Belvedere is closed due to storm damage, whatever that means. I got a crinoid from there, strangest animal, like out of “Pandora”.

Anyway, YourReef did have some baby clams

They all looked awesome. And they have some sponge I need for my tank. It wasn’t a complete waste.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3.gif
Welcome to R2R!!!

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting out. I've been a freshwater guy for years off and on. I've been reading and researching for about two years now, and I'm just now building a water mixing station before I get my saltwater tank setup. Figured I would finally join the forum. Anyone on here from Sacramento area? I live in Lincoln and don't really know what kind of local community there is for reef keeping.
I am not far from the Lincoln area but check out Aqua Life and Aquarium Depot, Your Reef. I shop the three places and my local LFS in Yuba City.

OP
OP
First-time Reefer

First-time Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not far from the Lincoln area but check out Aqua Life and Aquarium Depot, Your Reef. I shop the three places and my local LFS in Yuba City.
Yeah I really like aquarium depot.. I thought aqualife was setup better at their old location. I'll have to check out Your Reef

Mrs. Herbert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I really like aquarium depot.. I thought aqualife was setup better at their old location. I'll have to check out Your Reef
I had thought the same thing about Aqua Life also. John @YourReef is awesome and I like his selection. Aquarium Depot has some good stuff also.

12gallonsofhex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had thought the same thing about Aqua Life also. John @YourReef is awesome and I like his selection. Aquarium Depot has some good stuff also.
Welcome.

I'm in Roseville.

Yep, Aqualife used to be a good store before they moved.
I am a big fan of John's store @YourReef. He offers good selection of coral, good prices, and good advice. I also like Aqualife, but am biased because I worked there as a young man where I got hooked to reef tanks. I do think that their store had better selection of saltwater when Aaron was managing it, but a lot of the difference is probably all the bans in recent years. Bottom line, I try to support all the good small business LFS's because I depend on them. We are fortunate to have so many good LFS's in the Roseville/ Rocklin and Sacramento areas.

lurpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
local club MARS (Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento) is a local club, however numbers have been dwindling. Most seem to collect on the Facebook group now a days (Sacramento area reefers? [i don't have facebook]).
I dont do fb to sucks groups have only been using fb.:(

lurpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef! I'm in West Sacramento area and there are a lot of local reefers in the Sacramento area with some incredible reefs :D I'm also a part of the 916 club on Facebook and the MARS club..
To add to 12gallonsofhex, other reef stores: Aquaworkz in Sac, Aqualife in Rocklin, Aquarium & Reptile Depot, Splash Aquarium and Exotic Aquarium
I use to do fb and was on the 916 club but no more fb and its sucks I cant see what going on anymore.

lurpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been there for a while but did stop by back in January. Had a Regal that I was interested in but the holding tanks did not look good and several fish looked pretty unhealthy. The corals on the other hand looked good and in good condition visibly. This was back in January though. Wonder what is going on.

Not a lot of stores that maintain healthy systems. Was at Exotic this weekend. Outside the front display the holding tanks in back are pretty bad. They did have a trio of leopard wrasses that looked good in their dedicated tank. I've stopped by Exotic off and on going back to their little store of Florin next to Taps plastic.

The store in Rocklin moved and is now near Studio Movie Grill. They moved to a larger store but I've not been their recently since they opened. Can't say how they are. YourReef was the coral go to store though so bummer than they are having issues.
I go to John's just about 2-3 times a week never had any issues. He is always willing to help a reefer when in need love the guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back