new fuge

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a refugiem about a month ago with sea lettuce, i'm sure there are a lot of factors but generally when should i start to see nutrient reduction? it seems to be growing well but my nutrients are same. do i need to harvest some to see the drop?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ulva or whatever the correct genera is...
anyway you haven’t provided lighting & area specs
Sea lettuce is more tolerant of low flow but bleaches if it never moves or exposed dry to bright light...
it works good in synergy with chaeto, so I’d add a lil of that although the lettuce usually dominates...
You can add a Turbo snail to convert some of it to useable snail poop, also it recovers fast if harvested

oh...specs please

OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use ulva or whatever the correct genera is...
anyway you haven’t provided lighting & area specs
Sea lettuce is more tolerant of low flow but bleaches if it never moves or exposed dry to bright light...
it works good in synergy with chaeto, so I’d add a lil of that although the lettuce usually dominates...
You can add a Turbo snail to convert some of it to useable snail poop, also it recovers fast if harvested

oh...specs please
I’m using kessil h380 light 6 hour reverse light period
The lettuce I put in a 13” hamster ball to keep it from clogging my skimmer
Fuge is roughly 20”x15”x13” deep
High flow

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under intense light and without disturbance the lettuce gets very dark green and crinkled ... it sorta stalls, It also blocks light underneath it, so while the sump stays cleaner (as compared to chaeto) it also retards the food chain underneath. I got more “Dimension” or useable area by mixing it with chaeto and using a big hungry turbo to shred it into smaller pieces. Turbo poop from sea lettuce ain’t far off from direct phyto dosing anyway.

In another tank I just let it float on top as a single sheet and easily remove what I need. Some always sinks anyway. again, Sump stays pretty clean (vs. chaeto)

Edited to add: scratch adding a turbo, it will make small pieces and yes I’ve had several skimmer clogs from sea lettuce. Again, it also naturally sinks eventually. It will find its way to that intake, I know.
I can’t say the ball won’t work as lettuce is pretty flow tolerant... hmmm

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meiffert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D42DDED8-D2A3-43B1-B63D-C378C88E3D4B.jpeg
EC1A67AA-7B2E-49C4-86EA-AD2B9A756C9A.jpeg
AC0CA9AF-F12E-4CD4-B5C7-637015C6E17A.jpeg

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 33.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back