New Guy

DHart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to all.
I am certainly not at the sophistication level that I am sure most of you are. I am in the DFW area and I am in my 5th month of slowly bringing up my first salt water tank. I found a really good shop near me and they are all salt water geniuses. LOL, compared to me they are.

I tend to like different approaches and experimentation. When I was running my 20g fresh water tank
I put a minnow trap in the 3 acre lake behind me and started with a population of baby perch. They were great but one grew fast and became very aggressive. He went back into the lake. I also had a live berth in my tank and I was confused as t0 why my 2 silver catfish became 3.

My current salt water tank is only 20g. I am using it to test my capabilities of keeping things alive.
So far it has worked. I like to try different approaches so I brought my own live sand back from under
the emerald waters off a beach in Destin. Prettiest sand you will ever see, but it has the consistency of flour. I will be curing a 40g tank to switch over to in the next 30 days. I have man made live rock curing in my current 20g and will move some of the sand from the 20g tank as well so it should cure quickly I have pushed the envelope and currently have one 1 Blenny cleaning the sand along with about five hermit crabs. I have 1 coral banded shrimp. 3 Blue yellow tail Damsels, 2 Silver Damsels, 2 emerald crabs, a few snails, one Chocolate Chip starfish and added 2 weeks ago 2 very small clown fish.
So far I have only experienced 3 casualties. My starfish had an appetite for my Hawaiian Feather duster. I spoke rather harshly to it and don't expect any more bad behavior.
As I was stacking rocks to cure in the current tank. one fell to the sand. I never saw my first Blenny after that rock fell. I lost A few small hermit crabs before my replacement shells got in the tank.

From this forum I want to find out what invertebrates are easy and fun and won't quickly outgrow a 40g tank.
I also have zero knowledge on sexing fish.

I plan to keep an isolation tank running for possible breeding and for any new fish to acclimate.

Thanks for this opportunity and your feedback.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r!first we need a few pics sense we can not get enough of them.Second chocolate chip stars have an appetite for lots of things in a reef especially corals so keep that in mind when planning for the future of your tank.
Thanks for becoming part of our family.

Last edited:

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings to all.
I am certainly not at the sophistication level that I am sure most of you are. I am in the DFW area and I am in my 5th month of slowly bringing up my first salt water tank. I found a really good shop near me and they are all salt water geniuses. LOL, compared to me they are.

I tend to like different approaches and experimentation. When I was running my 20g fresh water tank
I put a minnow trap in the 3 acre lake behind me and started with a population of baby perch. They were great but one grew fast and became very aggressive. He went back into the lake. I also had a live berth in my tank and I was confused as t0 why my 2 silver catfish became 3.

My current salt water tank is only 20g. I am using it to test my capabilities of keeping things alive.
So far it has worked. I like to try different approaches so I brought my own live sand back from under
the emerald waters off a beach in Destin. Prettiest sand you will ever see, but it has the consistency of flour. I will be curing a 40g tank to switch over to in the next 30 days. I have man made live rock curing in my current 20g and will move some of the sand from the 20g tank as well so it should cure quickly I have pushed the envelope and currently have one 1 Blenny cleaning the sand along with about five hermit crabs. I have 1 coral banded shrimp. 3 Blue yellow tail Damsels, 2 Silver Damsels, 2 emerald crabs, a few snails, one Chocolate Chip starfish and added 2 weeks ago 2 very small clown fish.
So far I have only experienced 3 casualties. My starfish had an appetite for my Hawaiian Feather duster. I spoke rather harshly to it and don't expect any more bad behavior.
As I was stacking rocks to cure in the current tank. one fell to the sand. I never saw my first Blenny after that rock fell. I lost A few small hermit crabs before my replacement shells got in the tank.

From this forum I want to find out what invertebrates are easy and fun and won't quickly outgrow a 40g tank.
I also have zero knowledge on sexing fish.

I plan to keep an isolation tank running for possible breeding and for any new fish to acclimate.

Thanks for this opportunity and your feedback.
Welcome aboard! ;)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
chinesefontdesign.com-2017-09-10_06-23-22_597945.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back