New halides increase my temp, what should I do?

salty_trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inner reefing mind says maintain stability and just increase the jagers to maintain that higher temperature and avoid a large fluctuation every night. Thoughts? I have it hanging pretty high but maybe higher? The lights are the odyssea 250watts.
Capture.PNG
WIN_20190414_11_59_18_Pro.jpg
WIN_20190414_12_04_55_Pro.jpg
im using 2 ushio 20k bulbs and a mix of ATI. previously had 2 maxspect ethereals that i put over the newly plumbed in frag tank.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears you are only experiencing a 1.5 degree swing over a 24 hour period. While I don’t think that’s going to to hurt you much have you tried one of those small desk fans blowing across your top? Or monitor it a few more day you might need a small chiller

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 degrees is nothing. However, this might become more in the summer. A simple fan can take care of nearly all of this. I use a Honeywell or Vornado three speed smaller fan. Blow it across the top of the tank. My halides are about 6 or 7" off the top of the water and the fan blows across both the top of the water and also the bottom of the fixture - the tank never moves from 78 to 79 on my Ranco or Medusa.

If you raise the temp in the tank, then it will just raise beyond that with the lights on.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mount a fan on the wall blowing down onto/across the top of your tank. Put it on the same timer as the halides or run it based on temp control.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of off topic, but is that a coy in that other tank? Looks amazing from this angle. Don't suppose you could post a FTS of that tank could you?

OP
OP
salty_trout

salty_trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.5 degrees is nothing. However, this might become more in the summer. A simple fan can take care of nearly all of this. I use a Honeywell or Vornado three speed smaller fan. Blow it across the top of the tank. My halides are about 6 or 7" off the top of the water and the fan blows across both the top of the water and also the bottom of the fixture - the tank never moves from 78 to 79 on my Ranco or Medusa.

If you raise the temp in the tank, then it will just raise beyond that with the lights on.
Ill mount a small fan. Thanks.

OP
OP
salty_trout

salty_trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys :). They are a set and forget type of hobby that's for sure. Feel free to send me a message if ya ever need advice on starting, or a plant care package lol.... now if only my reef would get up to par. speaking of coral, i noticed the tips kinda lighter than usual so I raised the lights a couple more inches.

OP
OP
salty_trout

salty_trout

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed my pH runs higher with these lights ? is that normal? like 8.2-8.45ish. whats too high anyways? ive heard many things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.3%

Back