New hammer coral

Dreams92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first coral, hammer, about a week ago. It looked great at the lfs, seen it there for about 2 weeks (eyeing it) and it looked great. Brought it home, acclimated it and threw it in the tank. I put in on the sand bed with the lights out for the rest of the day. Next day it decided to come out a bit, but not much. It’s been going on for about a week now, doesn’t seem to want to fully extend. I raised it up to about half way in the tank today to see if more light would help. Tank is about 2 months old. My question is, what else can I do to make sure it’s happy and healthy and want to fluff up? First picture was the day after I got it. Next picture is today after putting up higher.
Tank- biocube16
Temp-78.5
Salinity- 1.024
PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
Calcium- 500 (using reef crystals, too high?)
Phosphate- showing 0 with api so I ordered another yesterday, waiting for it to come in
KH- 12 (possibly too high?)

7DB65E4D-D7A8-4FF5-8BC0-8AB6BB3DDE9A.jpeg 41C7B479-F07F-461D-B94E-9056BEA0C275.jpeg

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank might be a bit too new for a Hammer. Its still going through a lot of changes. API can't read below a certain threshold on phosphate so you did the right thing ordering a new kit, did you get Hannah low range checker?

Params don't look half bad but again, with your tank being new they could be changing rapidly.

Edit: Calc is a tad high and KH is on the max end of where you'd want it to be if I remember right.

goodefx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree, your ALK is really on the top of threshold. I know several who use reef crystals with success, but I would recommend switching to something with a little lower ALK....just remember, bad things happen fast and good things can take forever, take your time!

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always liked medium/high lighting & flow that shakes all its heads every once in awhile, but nothing too strong or constant. It's been working out well!

To echo a point already made, that dKH is realllly high. Are you dosing something?

As far as calcium level goes... yeah, that's a bit high, but as far as I know, the only real risk of running high calcium is calcium carbonate precipitating out causing the dKH to drop.... which is clearly not a problem here, lol. I've actually never seen both that high.

0125211637.jpg

OP
OP
Dreams92

Dreams92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with salifert test kit, should be here tomorrow I think. No direct flow hitting it, I also turned down the power head when I placed it in the tank. What would be the best option on lowering ALK? Outright switching would be too big of a swing I’m assuming. Continue to use the salt and use something to drop it slowly before changing salt? Also, any recommendations on a good salt mix to go to?

OP
OP
Dreams92

Dreams92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has always liked medium/high lighting & flow that shakes all its heads every once in awhile, but nothing too strong or constant. It's been working out well!

To echo a point already made, that dKH is realllly high. Are you dosing something?

As far as calcium level goes... yeah, that's a bit high, but as far as I know, the only real risk of running high calcium is calcium carbonate precipitating out causing the dKH to drop.... which is clearly not a problem here, lol. I've actually never seen both that high.

0125211637.jpg
No dosing or anything else going in the tank other than flake food and water changes.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other corals in the tank? If so, what & are they looking happy?

Realistically, this may just be it getting acclimated still. Especially with the dKH & Calcium being so high. But if you've got other happy coral in there, the higher levels of those 2 may be beneficial once this hammer starts sucking it out of the water for its skeleton.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How did you acclimate the hammer ?

Also elevate it off the sand. They get irritated when sand is all over them which may be the case in part. Assure the following are in range:

Moderate light and water flow
Temp 77-79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.1-8.3
Ammonia < .03
Nitrate < .04
Phos < .04
CA 440
Mag 1300
Alk 8-9

Assure also there are no little bugs anywhere on stem or base.

These were once frags and just some of my Euphyllia:

1611613780344.png

OP
OP
Dreams92

Dreams92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other corals in the tank, this is my first. I drip acclimated and kept the bag in the tank for temp

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is a little low, I'd aim for 1.025-26 also as @MohrReefs mentioned the Hanna ULR Phosphate is the best way to go. The Salifert is hard to decipher between the different shades of blue, Hanna will give you a digital readout. Also as mentioned above, I'd make sure theres enough flow on it where it softly rustles the polyps.

OP
OP
Dreams92

Dreams92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I mean the location it's currently in, not where it came from :p Like, what PAR is it currently receiving now?
Sorry lol, that is where it is at now vs where it was on the sand bed
Your salinity is a little low, I'd aim for 1.025-26 also as @MohrReefs mentioned the Hanna ULR Phosphate is the best way to go. The Salifert is hard to decipher between the different shades of blue, Hanna will give you a digital readout. Also as mentioned above, I'd make sure theres enough flow on it where it softly rustles the polyps.
I think flow is pretty good, hasn’t been in any direct flow and just seems to wave a little. I will look into the Hanna equipment come next payday. Are their other instruments just as good? I will also start raising salinity on next water change.

ReeferWarrant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Salifert for Ca, ALK and Mg. I just recently got the ULR Phosphate because I couldnt decipher the blues in the Salifert one. The only good thing the Salifert will tell you is if your PO4 is through the roof or low.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back