New Here! First saltwater tank

joemb33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Hey guys!
New to this so take it easy on me LOL. I just added two clownfish to my tank after a first cycle with a few hermit crabs and a clown (sadly the clown did not make it, terrible recommendation from the local Petco, will admit I did not do my due diligence beforehand, definitely shouldn’t have trusted them). Started the tank about 6 weeks ago, and just added the new clowns yesterday.
I have 3 red hermits and 1 blue one, and the 2 clowns.
Fluval evo 13.5 gal I’m sure you’re all familiar with, running the stock filter/media and pump. Added the fluval protein skimmer, heater and the extra fan in the back. I’m also running a 13w UV sterilizer in the back chamber, cleared the heck out of my water big time after a little bacterial bloom following my first cycle.
So right now my plan is to add two more rocks to the left of the two in there.
Any advise for a beginner, recommendations for additions? I know it’s tough to get coral and such in there with the stock light, but I’d love to see if I can get some more color in there.
Also, as you can see my rocks are a little dirty, is there any cause for concern? How should I go about cleaning them?
Lastly, any recommendations as to how to position the fans for water flow? A few setups online had it similar to the way it’s set up here, but would love to hear some thoughts.
Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance
image.jpg

pav213

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
Hey guys!
New to this so take it easy on me LOL. I just added two clownfish to my tank after a first cycle with a few hermit crabs and a clown (sadly the clown did not make it, terrible recommendation from the local Petco, will admit I did not do my due diligence beforehand, definitely shouldn’t have trusted them). Started the tank about 6 weeks ago, and just added the new clowns yesterday.
I have 3 red hermits and 1 blue one, and the 2 clowns.
Fluval evo 13.5 gal I’m sure you’re all familiar with, running the stock filter/media and pump. Added the fluval protein skimmer, heater and the extra fan in the back. I’m also running a 13w UV sterilizer in the back chamber, cleared the heck out of my water big time after a little bacterial bloom following my first cycle.
So right now my plan is to add two more rocks to the left of the two in there.
Any advise for a beginner, recommendations for additions? I know it’s tough to get coral and such in there with the stock light, but I’d love to see if I can get some more color in there.
Also, as you can see my rocks are a little dirty, is there any cause for concern? How should I go about cleaning them?
Lastly, any recommendations as to how to position the fans for water flow? A few setups online had it similar to the way it’s set up here, but would love to hear some thoughts.
Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance
image.jpg
I didn’t see any one replied… so I am also pretty new to the hobby. I also have a Fluval Evo 13.5. I have my return flat across the top of the water. Slightly below water. I added a pic of my tank…I also used 1pound of rock per gallon…I ordered life rock and I got 20lbs. I do not have all in my tank, I have two nice chunks left. I have 2 clowns, 1 devil blue and yellow damsel, and just added 4 hermit crabs. I plan to add a lawnmower goby. And in the next few months start coral… Good luck!

C2A40998-9674-4194-9F84-4AEB3374281C.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will need a lot more rock, should be closer to 1 lbs per gallon. The rocks provide the surface area for nitrifying bacteria to multiply. More rock = stronger biofilter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back