New here. Help needed ASAP!

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and happy reefing!

giphy.gif

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello nice to finally signed up and joining the reef2reef community.

My dad and I had fish & coral for last 1-2 years and often found advice on this forum. We have a few tanks. But mainly one dedicated for fish, and the other for coral. Things seem to be going well for a while. However problems doesn't seem so simple as most of my fishes in my DT have died from a combination of fluke, ich and velvet. Now I'm planning to start over and hope everything will be the best for fishes and corals...

First lets start with the coral tank. It is plagued with Aiptisas... and I bought some Aiptisa-X and also tried to put some Kasswasser directly onto those buggers and there is not much success. These things are not only growing on the liverocks but also on some corals (and killing it). I want to buy some Berghias but they are not available in my country (Hong Kong) and vendors won't ship them to me. I plan to dip all my liverocks in H2O2 but I know that it will only delay the spread of Aiptisas and will not be able to get rid of them permenantly.

Next I also have an algae problem, which is growing on my SPS. I have read that there is no way to get rid of it other than removal by hand. (unsuccessful attempt) . But they seem to be only attacking certain corals or certain parts of a coral. I have dipped one piece in a 50% H2O2 for 30 secs and the algae still remains. And I'm reluctant to dip any further as it seems that it may not be the solution to this. My PO4 levels are within range, and I also use API Algaefix, 2-3ml daily in 200L tank. Rest of the corals are OK. Just certain ones subject to algae problem. So I don't think adding more of this algae killer is the solution...

IMG_20201019_210243.jpg

IMG_20201019_210606.jpg

Also please see the picture below. What is that red spot growing on the coral? I tried scraping it and it doesn't come off. Hope it doesn't spread to other corals.

IMG_20201019_210646.jpg

Finally I am keeping SPS and LPS in the same tank and I am getting pH and kH swings from day to night. Could it be the reason why this coral is dying? It looks like it's calcifying. It's the first time I've seen it retracted and it looks it is in very poor shape.

IMG_20201019_210513.jpg

I also have a problem with Flukes. Somehow they got in both my coral and fish tank. Flukes don't affect the coral tank much, and I have put Prazipro in the coral tank hoping that they don't return in the future. I have surviving fishes (2 Tangs) in QT now with Waterlife Myaxin and Curpamine. But one fish is still suffering from fin rot, the other have ulcers on the head and body (pictures to follow). I'm thinking to give Myaxin for another week, and if they don't get better, then switch to Melafix. (what should be dosage by the way?)

---------------------

My final plan is to move the bigger LPS to the DT with the Tangs once they get better...

Hello and welcome to the channel. I had a bad case of Aiptisas in the past and the only thing that was able to wipe them out...my file fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back