rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

I’m no expert but I’m what I would consider an advanced beginner. I’m a voracious consumer of information and data. I tend to go overboard a bit.

You’ll find that you will receive a plethora of recommendations on how to approach growing out your tank here and elsewhere.

I found the BRS series very helpful.
They have a few; 52 weeks of reefing, 5 min series, and the newer beginner series. I watched them all. Lol

Instead of telling you what to do I’ll share what has so far worked for me.

I have a 32 gallon Biocube. I started with live rock and sand for an “instant” cycle on 3/12/22.

I began with a clown and then a damsel 2 weeks later. I didn’t QT the clown (which I completely stressed over). I did a two week observation QT on the damsel that I acquired from a solid LFS. Then a week or two later a small clean up crew of snails and crabs. That was it initially. A few weeks later with no issues showing I began adding some Zoas, then a hammer, then an RBT anemone. I added 2 cleaner shrimp too.
Now I have Xenia, lepto, cyphasteea, birdsnest and goniopora.

I watch my parameters like a hawk and am religious about water changes weekly. I even picked up a used Apex because like I said, I’m a data nerd.

Good luck and welcome again!
Thank you so much for all the great information! very much appreciated, Ill let you know how it goes.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that's not assuring but honestly none of the seals seem to have expanded or have any additional stress on them. That being said, I don't know what to look for in terms of identifying a potential failure other than a leak. Will a leak always happen before a catastrophic failure or could one of the sides just blow out randomly? What's the thought on euro bracing?
A blowout could in theory happen. Typically youll see bubbling in the silicone where the glass edges are starting to pull apart. A leak does not always happen before a failure but are common indicators one is coming. Neither top fin, or aqueons rimmed tanks are designed to be rimless unless they are braced another way. A euro brace would help prevent this issue for sure, and theres a ton of DIY videos on youtube if interested.

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A blowout could in theory happen. Typically youll see bubbling in the silicone where the glass edges are starting to pull apart. A leak does not always happen before a failure but are common indicators one is coming. Neither top fin, or aqueons rimmed tanks are designed to be rimless unless they are braced another way. A euro brace would help prevent this issue for sure, and theres a ton of DIY videos on youtube if interested.
Thank you!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well that's not assuring but honestly none of the seals seem to have expanded or have any additional stress on them. That being said, I don't know what to look for in terms of identifying a potential failure other than a leak. Will a leak always happen before a catastrophic failure or could one of the sides just blow out randomly? What's the thought on euro bracing?
All the above could happen. I would put the rim back on or some form of euro bracing to prevent any issues.

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the above could happen. I would put the rim back on or some form of euro bracing to prevent any issues.
got the glass cut and now in home, going to drain the tank into some buckets and silicone it over the weekend. Thank you so much everyone for the fantastic welcome!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, as a good starter coral, these beauties can't be beat
ZomboMeme 18122021112036.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got the glass cut and now in home, going to drain the tank into some buckets and silicone it over the weekend. Thank you so much everyone for the fantastic welcome!
Fast response and good job!
Oh and.....
giphy (1).gif

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I started out with 2 clowns and mushrooms. Best advice is to go slow until you start to get a "feel" for your tank and the chemistry. Suggest you watch Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube on all things reefing. Salifert and Hanna test kits are reliable. Stay away from API. You will want to quarantine your fish. Good luck.

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fast response and good job!
Oh and.....
giphy (1).gif
Got that Bracing on during a slightly extended lunch break. I went with another style other than euro because of my HOB setup. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and welcomes!

Bracing: 2x 3"x12"x1/4 low iron glass

Attachments

• bracing.jpg
    bracing.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 25

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got that Bracing on during a slightly extended lunch break. I went with another style other than euro because of my HOB setup. Thanks again to everyone for the comments and welcomes!

Bracing: 2x 3"x12"x1/4 low iron glass
That will work. Nice job!

OP
OP
rudy3

rudy3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I started out with 2 clowns and mushrooms. Best advice is to go slow until you start to get a "feel" for your tank and the chemistry. Suggest you watch Bulk Reef Supply videos on Youtube on all things reefing. Salifert and Hanna test kits are reliable. Stay away from API. You will want to quarantine your fish. Good luck.
Great! thanks! i have been watching BRS for a few months now, that is what got me into wanting to go salt LOL. is it true that Tomato clowns are more aggressive than Ocellaris?

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! thanks! i have been watching BRS for a few months now, that is what got me into wanting to go salt LOL. is it true that Tomato clowns are more aggressive than Ocellaris?
Post your question in the clownfish forum please. I have no idea but there is bound to be someone who does!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tomato and Maroon clowns are very nasty and will in time , Not hesitate to bite your hand and move stuff around in the tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back