New home humidity issue

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an almost two year old house and have condensation on all windows and mold in the winter. My home humidity in the winter is running 50% plus in Missouri. My old house struggled to be at 30% or less in the winter. I know new houses are sealed better. I have been blaming the cheap builder grade windows and they are crappy but I realize now the issue is the humidity levels mostly. The quality of construction is terrible compared to my last house built in 1997. We have creaking popping subfloors and other issues. That is another story. We are now in that period where the ac isn't being ran much and it is wet outside. My humidity level can hit 65%. I have a 100 pint dehumidifier I started running upstairs and I have a Reefer 250 downstairs. I can now get my upstairs humidity down to 40% and the downstairs around 45-50%. I empty the 100 pints every other day. My top-off on my tank is around 8-12 gallons(with dehumidifier)a week.

Could a little Reefer 250 be the cause of all my issues? I installed it right after moving in so do not know what the house is like without it. I prefer comfort and my house not rotting out over the hobby. I feel like running a dehumidifier is kind of silly because it is fighting against my tank and causing more evaporation. House definitely feels better with the dehumidifier running.

Anyone else had this issue in a newer house with house wrap? My old house didn't have house wrap. What options do I have?

Every issue I had with this house the builder had an excuse for like the creaking popping floors were just new house drying out and first year settling-wrong, they have only gotten worse. Pretty sure they missed joists with a lot of nails or something.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had tanks for 25 years in humid and dry climates. They have never been a problem.
If I were you, I’d get a humidity probe to test all your walls, floors and ceilings. Sounds to me like there could be a leak somewhere. Look in your attic for water marks on the sheathing. If you are able, make sure the contractor installed the vapor barrier on the exterior walls. Make sure your hvac units condensation pipe isn’t plugged. I would start by looking in the area the mold is the worst. Especially if there is a bathroom above. If you have a home warranty, you may want to make a claim.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the vapor barrier. Sealed up much better than last house. The builder says of course you have high humidity dummy you have a tank of water in your house.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mold is on every window where water condensated in the winter. Are you in a winter climate in a well sealed house?

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally not the same here but I can tell you that having a basement fish room with a few tanks and remote sump I had terrible humidity issues. I had a humidistat wired to a inline exhaust vent, portable AC unit and after 5 years had to deal with black mold issues on concrete walls as well with wood cabinets. I ultimately shut down the fish room.

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has the vapor barrier. Sealed up much better than last house. The builder says of course you have high humidity dummy you have a tank of water in your house.
Most builders are scumbags. Their MO is "deflect, deny, make counter accusations". Verify, then trust.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to look into having an air exchanger installed. Plan $3-4k for a company to install. You can install yourself for $1500 or so.

I added a 250g tank a couple weeks ago and can't keep my humidity below 50% now and I'm on Utah where it's drier than dry.

I have an air exchanger on the way since my dehumidifier is counterproductive.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most builders are scumbags. Their MO is "deflect, deny, make counter accusations". Verify, then trust.
Man you got this one right. Excuses for everything. Make you feel like you are being unreasonable. Never seen that problem before. The concrete here in the drive was full of small cracks in a few months. It has already got a bunch of pop out holes and is spalling and I didn't use salt. The garage floor was covered when I bought it. Moving in and noticed it is an ugly mess and has a bunch of spots where water settles and has a spider web look to it. I raised hell and got no where. Excuse after excuse. I left them hellish reviews all over and hope it is hurting them financially. The city inspector sucked and didn't do his job.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the builders super told me for the third time to just remember it doesn't matter if you buy this house or a million dollar house they are all built the same with the same materials I told him to leave before I kick his butt and claim he came in uninvited. This is after stupid excuse and comment number 100... I hate this dang house now and wish I just fixed up the old one. I am kinda stuck now after the big dummy got elected and destroyed the economy. Looking for someone to pull up all the flooring and screw down the subfloor... Can't find a dang contractor around here... They never return calls.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that’s nonsense. If there is condensation on or around the windows then:
1. There is a leak there, or;
2. The seal between the glass panes inside the window which holds the inert gas (argon) is compromised.
You need to file a claim with the warranty company. Take pictures and specific notes to document everything.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man you got this one right. Excuses for everything. Make you feel like you are being unreasonable. Never seen that problem before. The concrete here in the drive was full of small cracks in a few months. It has already got a bunch of pop out holes and is spalling and I didn't use salt. The garage floor was covered when I bought it. Moving in and noticed it is an ugly mess and has a bunch of spots where water settles and has a spider web look to it. I raised hell and got no where. Excuse after excuse. I left them hellish reviews all over and hope it is hurting them financially. The city inspector sucked and didn't do his job.
Unfortunately, this is the norm, especially during housing "booms" when builders can't put up houses fast enough. Was true 40 years ago too. I'm sorry you're having the humidity issues and wish I had some suggestions, but I'm in Houston, so my AC runs pretty much 9 months out of the year, and definitely helps to dehumidify the house, but it's still 40-45% inside since the outdoor humidity is so high.
Good luck :)

Last edited:

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the builders super told me for the third time to just remember it doesn't matter if you buy this house or a million dollar house they are all built the same with the same materials I told him to leave before I kick his butt and claim he came in uninvited. This is after stupid excuse and comment number 100... I hate this dang house now and wish I just fixed up the old one. I am kinda stuck now after the big dummy got elected and destroyed the economy. Looking for someone to pull up all the flooring and screw down the subfloor... Can't find a dang contractor around here... They never return calls.
Horse poop. I’m a retired inspector. And I can tell you with certainty that not all houses are built the same.
There are good contractors and bad ones. And their work and material selections reflect that.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an almost two year old house and have condensation on all windows and mold in the winter. My home humidity in the winter is running 50% plus in Missouri. My old house struggled to be at 30% or less in the winter. I know new houses are sealed better. I have been blaming the cheap builder grade windows and they are crappy but I realize now the issue is the humidity levels mostly. The quality of construction is terrible compared to my last house built in 1997. We have creaking popping subfloors and other issues. That is another story. We are now in that period where the ac isn't being ran much and it is wet outside. My humidity level can hit 65%. I have a 100 pint dehumidifier I started running upstairs and I have a Reefer 250 downstairs. I can now get my upstairs humidity down to 40% and the downstairs around 45-50%. I empty the 100 pints every other day. My top-off on my tank is around 8-12 gallons(with dehumidifier)a week.

Could a little Reefer 250 be the cause of all my issues? I installed it right after moving in so do not know what the house is like without it. I prefer comfort and my house not rotting out over the hobby. I feel like running a dehumidifier is kind of silly because it is fighting against my tank and causing more evaporation. House definitely feels better with the dehumidifier running.

Anyone else had this issue in a newer house with house wrap? My old house didn't have house wrap. What options do I have?

Every issue I had with this house the builder had an excuse for like the creaking popping floors were just new house drying out and first year settling-wrong, they have only gotten worse. Pretty sure they missed joists with a lot of nails or something.
Just re-reading your original post... The popping floors could be caused by the moisture as well, just a thought.

What is a "house wrap"?

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Horse poop. I’m a retired inspector. And I can tell you with certainty that not all houses are built the same.
There are good contractors and bad ones. And their work and material selections reflect that.
Yeah I know this guy is full of it. You know that gut feeling that tells you to walk away, always listen to it... I had it and talked myself into buying anyway. The driveway was poured after the signing. I didn't think someone could do such a bad job on a driveway, stairs and walk... You should see it. Wavy mess. Dirty discolored concrete with rust contaminates on surface. I tried to get a lawyer and none were interested. Sawed lines without tooling-ugly.

I told my wife we should sale while everything is selling in a day and walk away. It is valued $100,000 more than we bought for two years ago. But man I got an amazing interest rate that would be double today.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just re-reading your original post... The popping floors could be caused by the moisture as well, just a thought.

What is a "house wrap"?
I think it was not glued down properly and sat in rain a lot or snow. Nails may have missed their mark. The floors may have dried once the HVAC was running and then the clicking, popping and crunching sounds started. It has only gotten worse with the dehumidifier running. House wrap is like a big trash bag on your house sheathing before the siding is installed to seal it.(probably find out it causes more issues)

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know this guy is full of it. You know that gut feeling that tells you to walk away, always listen to it... I had it and talked myself into buying anyway. The driveway was poured after the signing. I didn't think someone could do such a bad job on a driveway, stairs and walk... You should see it. Wavy mess. Dirty discolored concrete with rust contaminates on surface. I tried to get a lawyer and none were interested. Sawed lines without tooling-ugly.

I told my wife we should sale while everything is selling in a day and walk away. It is valued $100,000 more than we bought for two years ago. But man I got an amazing interest rate that would be double today.

But you would also have to pay a bunch to replace it.

Is it because the window are crap or that the install was crap?

I am planning on installing an air exchanger to to help with CO2 as others have mentioned I would look at that.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife who I now refer to as "Thunder Step" thinks we should just get the bad things fixed but getting someone to do it is proving impossible. If I have to hear "Thunder Step" walking around on these floors much longer I may move to a hotel. :oops: I walk like an indian sneaking around, always have. My dad referred to my sister as "Heavy Walker", I get it now.

Thump, thump, thump.... much worse with popping floors. 30 years of marriage and never noticed till moving here.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Old house silent floor system. This house OSB garbage.

OP
OP
I

I.AM.MR.MIKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In answer to your original question of is your aquarium causing the humidity, I would suspect not. How is the indoor humidity during the summer when the AC is running?
I struggle to keep it at 45% in the summer with only the A/C running. I kind of do think it is the tank and sealed up new house. All that evaporated water is going somewhere.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back