pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen dude,
You have a crappy 20 gallon long aquarium filled with what appears to be softies and rubble and you joined the forum 2 months ago. You obviously have some serious brain loop going on in your head about co2 and o2 levels because half of the pictures in your build thread area of plants under a home depot grow light.

Do YOU own an oxygen saturation meter>? I doubt it, because the decent ones are about $400. Well, as fate would have it, I DO have one and I can tell you that with a skimmer and normal flow pumps running I am bumping up against the oxygen saturation point of saltwater at my regular temperatures. And my PH doesn't fluctuate outside normal diurnal patterns based on photosynthetic activities so we know my Co2 levels are not all over the place. Call me absolutely crazy, but I actually open the windows in my house..I know right!!

Sooooo.... despite the fact that that I have never seen a single peer reviewed article that linked total dissolved gas levels and parasitic infection rates I am going out of my way to let you know that my saturation levels are right where they should be.

I am only bothering to type this as perhaps... just perhaps, others on the forum may have a depth of knowledge, experience, and insight that surpasses yours. I certainly believe that, and thus, this is why i started the thread.

PS. windmills cause cancer.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is.. is this a "Infections via Miasma" debate? Where are the herbs and bird masks?!

I see the directions want you to:
"Before Dosing: Adjust temperature to 82-85°F. This accelerates the life cycle of the parasites and insures maximum exposure to the treatment."

So, would this be better in an empty tank where you can limit cyst/eggys in sand or rocks?

Well it is certainly a QT tank treatment. I don't have the temp above 78 as having temps in that suggested range really ramps up metabolic rates..and decreases oxygen saturation levels which could be a double whammy for fish with gills that are covered in ich cycsts. I am unsure how this product affects the other life stages of ich, that is one of the things I am attempting to get to the bottom of.

Join us here:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't answered any question. You just keep asking questions. You give no answers. Yes, these are closed boxes of water. Tell me how we fix that?
- Get the CO2 down inside of your home.
- Get the O2 up inside of your home.
- Push as much water as you can in your tank. Gyres are excellent for this but sadly they have design issues that need some work, but if you are diligent and clean them regular they are awesome.
- Surface skim your tank so that the air can contact your water.
- Remove impediments to air flow on the top of your tank. Fans in hoods are helpful but if you can get rid of the hood all together that is best. (I understand aesthetics)
- Insure sumps in cabinets have adequate air flow. Once again fans help but better to remove sides or build outputs for air.
- I don't use protein skimmers but they are absolutely awesome for gas exchange (so are wet/drys but nobody uses those anymore). That said I had to put a HOB skimmer on my tank because 20 breeders are terribad for gas exchange. Can't wait to get rid of it in my new build.
- If you just start building your tank then choose tanks that are low and wide and deep. Think short cubes. These have the best volume per surface area.

Not sure if you were serious about your question but this is how you get it done. The house gas exchange IMO is the toughest nut to crack.

Thank you for at least asking me what I should do. :)

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen dude,
You have a crappy 20 gallon long aquarium filled with what appears to be softies and rubble and you joined the forum 2 months ago. You obviously have some serious brain loop going on in your head about co2 and o2 levels because half of the pictures in your build thread area of plants under a home depot grow light.

Do YOU own an oxygen saturation meter>? I doubt it, because the decent ones are about $400. Well, as fate would have it, I DO have one and I can tell you that with a skimmer and normal flow pumps running I am bumping up against the oxygen saturation point of saltwater at my regular temperatures. And my PH doesn't fluctuate outside normal diurnal patterns based on photosynthetic activities so we know my Co2 levels are not all over the place. Call me absolutely crazy, but I actually open the windows in my house..I know right!!

Sooooo.... despite the fact that that I have never seen a single peer reviewed article that linked total dissolved gas levels and parasitic infection rates I am going out of my way to let you know that my saturation levels are right where they should be.

I am only bothering to type this as perhaps... just perhaps, others on the forum may have a depth of knowledge, experience, and insight that surpasses yours. I certainly believe that, and thus, this is why i started the thread.

You made my day! Windmills cause cancer. Priceless.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen dude,

I have an O2 test from Salifert. Not super accurate but good enough, plus had a PH probe to watch my PH for CO2 ... amazing what happens to your PH when you open the window.

Wow open the windows ... amazing!!! I do that too. But hey your fancy speak makes you look really smart.

Ohhh here we go, peer reviewed articles. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that lowered O2 levels are hell on aerobic organisms.

You started this thread because you are going to medicate your tank. Are you saying that your fish don't have ich? Because why on earth would you medicate for a problem you don't have? But I guess there are no peer reviewed articles that explore this strange behaviour.

Funny thing is that you aren't very observant and you seemed to miss the what my tank has in it. So here is a nice pic that I just took of it. Sorry I couldn't get the ich ridden fish in the picture they were hiding in the rocks.

image0.jpg

P.S. Ignorance is painful and bitterness kills.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows.. if you seal your house completely and don't let any air in, you will catch a nasty parasite.

That is just common knowledge.

Also, fish in aquariums are subjected to the same concentrations of parasites and viruses because fish in the ocean have territories, like dogs.

I think i am beginning to understand.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing that the assumption that just because I recently joined a forum that is how long I have been in the hobby. Why make this assumption is seems ... weird.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone knows.. if you seal your house completely and don't let any air in, you will catch a nasty parasite.

That is just common knowledge.

Also, fish in aquariums are subjected to the same concentrations of parasites and viruses because fish in the ocean have territories, like dogs.

I think i am beginning to understand.
Are you purposefully ignorant? I never said that if you seal your house completely you will catch a nasty parasite. Even someone like you can understand that death will come from this.

Fish in the ocean don't have "millions of gallons" of dilution because will confined space, and honestly it isn't the concentration of parasites that is the problem it is the immune system of the aerobic organism.

I would like to see your tank, maybe you are on time zone and the lights haven't gone out. Let's see what you got.

Also you seemed to have missed my post about how to solve the gas exchange problem. It doesn't just affect fish it affects other things.

All you can do is attack me because that is all you have. If we werre in physical distance you would try to punch me. You are bully and you have nothing to back up what you say. All you are is your anger. You won't answer questions because you know that you can't. I didn't come here to fight I came here to see if anyone on these waste of time ich posts really wants solutions or if they just want a quick pill fix. I see nothing has changed.

I practice everything that I say that way I can't be called out for being hypocritical and lying, but people like you ... ohhh people like you are always ready to be grouse around and be mad. Gratz ... is your ego sufficiently bruised?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weirder than the assumption that "fresh air" cures illness?
Well I guess that if you have all the fresh air you need then this is true, but isn't that the point?

Or weirder than thinking you can squirt water into vial, let it stand for 5 minutes, and get a relaible o2 reading?
dang, I guess that I should throw out my PH test, my nitrate test, my alk test my calcium test because ... chemistry?

Still don't know why you are medicating your tank.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the window open. I'm in Florida. Too hot. Your in Houston. Too hot. Why not pump fresh outside air in with a large air pump connected to your skimmer inlet. If practical.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you have problems..

and while everyone is correct about the concentration of ich and other Protozoa being much lower in the ocean, the thing that keeps that concentration low isn’t the volume of water, it’s the extreme biodiversity that most of our tanks don’t have. Ich and other Protozoa have to compete with all of the other micro organisms in the wild, while simultaneously finding a new organism to host, with swift currents easily capable of carrying it long distances, again while trying not to be devoured by other microfauna. This is what keeps ich from killing in the ocean, not O2 saturation levels, not CO2 levels. These are not factors in transmission and infection in this case, besides as long as you are running a skimmer or have a fair amount of surface agitation, most tanks are fairly well oxygenated and should not have any issues staying that way.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of the window open. I'm in Florida. Too hot. Your in Houston. Too hot. Why not pump fresh outside air in with a large air pump connected to your skimmer inlet. If practical.
This is a possibility but there are problems with it. You are in Florida so you will understand ... one word ... bugs :) but if you are diligent then you can do it. One problem with it though is that it positively pressurizes your house and pushes air out through cracks etc. Or makes the door go wooosh when you open it. Not a super big problem but possibly and issue.

I totally get the hot thing, and for me more so the pollution because we live near the refineries and downtown. It causes my wife and I to have nasty asthma. I want to say it is pollen but there is no pollen right now and when we open the windows we both start wheezing, but oxygen darn it.

If you look at my build thread I fixed this problem. I had small test in my bedroom it worked really well so I added more plants. There is a article from NASA that is really old about which plants to use. I also saw a really cool video about a guy from India who lived in New Delhi that was having problems with the air and retrofitted the build he owns to use plants to produce the O2 and remove the CO2 from the building. Very, very cool stuff there.

Edit: I keep feeling that the hose is a poor solution couldn't put my finger on why. Here is why. If you pull in through the hose you positively pressurize the house this create a back pressure on the hose therefore it pulls in less and less as the pressure increases. A large air volume in the house means that this takes longer but the only way to relieve the pressure is open the door or window. Just thought I would follow up with that.

Last edited:

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude you have problems..

and while everyone is correct about the concentration of ich and other Protozoa being much lower in the ocean, the thing that keeps that concentration low isn’t the volume of water, it’s the extreme biodiversity that most of our tanks don’t have. Ich and other Protozoa have to compete with all of the other micro organisms in the wild, while simultaneously finding a new organism to host, with swift currents easily capable of carrying it long distances, again while trying not to be devoured by other microfauna. This is what keeps ich from killing in the ocean, not O2 saturation levels, not CO2 levels. These are not factors in transmission and infection in this case, besides as long as you are running a skimmer or have a fair amount of surface agitation, most tanks are fairly well oxygenated and should not have any issues staying that way.
Hmmmm so when I was in the Philippines there was a guy that would buy fish from the fishermans nets and put it in his 20 gallon tall. I have seen better filters on gold fish tanks. He even had a bare bottom and no rock. The only time he ever lost fish was when they ate each other. He never had ich. Perhaps you have an explanation for this?

Do you have problems with ich?

How do you know how good your gas exchange is ... in your tank, your house?

You have made a lot of assumptions and you are basing what is right on those assumptions and they are not even clear to you.

Just because it seems out there to you doesn't mean it's wrong, but I guess that is why you posted because you have to protect your reputation i.e. your ego.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk about everyone else, but seeing this guy all over the disease forum telling everyone to get some indoor plants to fix their ich issue will be awesome
And you will be new forever. I don't mind though. Ignorance truly is bliss isn't it?

I love people that dog pile. It's almost like they have nothing to contribute but are afraid of getting called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back