Status
Not open for further replies.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude. if you don't want to add anything to the discussion then please just move on. I started this thread to get opinions and discuss the effectiveness of FixICK, not talk about.. what ever tangential thing you are bringing up.
Ok, I won't bother you with your problem.

This why ... right here.

You aren't going to fix your problem with FixMyProblem (tm) or whatever it is that you are using, because in a few weeks you will move on to some other thing. I am offering the real solution but you don't want it ... kewl ... more power to you. This is why people fail. Over and over and over again. The real problem is the person's perception of the solution vs. the actual problem.

Good luck.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh boy.

It can't but just know that you can never add another thing to your tank, otherwise it will be back. This sterility thinking is why so many new reefers fail. And to that point if it isn't ich it will be something else. You can't oxygen starve and carbon dioxide flood animals that aerobically respire.

It has NOTHING to do with gas exchange. The reasons our small problems become big issues are 'Dilution' and 'Competition'. There's a million gallons of water for each fish in the ocean which reduces their chance of encountering the parasite. There's also a dozen predators for each parasite which further helps reduce it's population relative to the fish population. Our tanks are closed systems where a parasite like ich can quickly take hold and replicate to levels that would never be seen in the wild, leading to infection and reinfection until the parasite population reaches a fatal level.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has NOTHING to do with gas exchange. The reasons our small problems become big issues are 'Dilution' and 'Competition'. There's a million gallons of water for each fish in the ocean which reduces their chance of encountering the parasite. There's also a dozen predators for each parasite which further helps reduce it's population relative to the fish population. Our tanks are closed systems where a parasite like ich can quickly take hold and replicate to levels that would never be seen in the wild, leading to infection and reinfection until the parasite population reaches a fatal level.
Fish have territories like dogs ... so no there are not a million gallons of dilution, because the fish stays in the same general area.

I would ask you one thing ... why do the fish keep getting ich and then other parasites over and over again in certain aquarists tanks? Also since you didn't read further, you just got mad at what I said, I will ask again what happens if you put a person in a semi sealed room? Their oxygen is constricted and their carbon dioxide is increased. You think this might have a role in the disease process?

HeyJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the old adage goes... Correlation doesn't equally causation.

If you have some sources it shouldn't be hard to point to them.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ignore button is bliss... but in an effort to keep things on track and talk inteligently about things i started a new thread.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well. Unless that poster is suggesting we aerate our tanks with 10ft high waves....he/she does at least have a valid logical thought process that the stresses of tank life are a factor on whether or not a fish is able to manage an ich issue. That said....a six foot high wave is probably equivalent to the smallest ripple in our fish tanks. So the amount of gas exchange is probably on par after water flows through our overflows, skimmer, sumps, etc.

ANYWAY.

I'd be surprised if that product actually accomplished anything. There's a ton of money to be made in a reef-safe ich treatment, and a reef-safe dinos treatment, but unfortunately I don't think it's enough money to get anybody really interested in R&D. Even if we all bought 'IchxBeGoneFix" that's not going to add up to billions of dollars.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the old adage goes... Correlation doesn't equally causation.

If you have some sources it shouldn't be hard to point to them.
Yup and many many attempts rules out causation.

Here is a random article that confirms my bias:

I am sure that you will have a problem with it and discard any information presented.

Just know this that my tank is currently infested with many many many different types of parasites and diseases because I never QT. It is stunning to me to see that my fish are currently (and have been) blissfully ignorant and fat. Maybe is should sterilize the tank now so that no problems crop up.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't get it.

Gas Exchange. That means CO2 out and O2 in. Your little tank is covered by your house, maybe that has gas exchange too?
Lol has absolutely nothing to do with gas exchange.

OP
OP
pdxmonkeyboy

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, skepticism is certainly healthy but just to be sure we are on the same page, this stuff will kill any and all inverts in short order. So, NOT reef safe and not marketed as such.

Plus, please don't feed the trolls

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. Unless that poster is suggesting we aerate our tanks with 10ft high waves....he/she does at least have a valid logical thought process that the stresses of tank life are a factor on whether or not a fish is able to manage an ich issue. That said....a six foot high wave is probably equivalent to the smallest ripple in our fish tanks. So the amount of gas exchange is probably on par after water flows through our overflows, skimmer, sumps, etc.
ROFL no ... they say and I don't have the actual numbers and of course conditions vary, that waves move the water at 60ft/sec. And if memory serves the fore reef is over saturated in oxygen, on the order of 8.5 mg/L (don't quote because I don't remember the source).

FWIW I try to turn over my main tank volume ever minute. This gets tricky on bigger tanks, so I prefer my tanks small.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol has absolutely nothing to do with gas exchange.
And your reason why? Because putting yourself in a sealed room is good for your health? You keep thinking that, and when your tank crashes for "unknown"reasons then you will have probably forgotten, because your ego is bruised, this will be why.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, skepticism is certainly healthy but just to be sure we are on the same page, this stuff will kill any and all inverts in short order. So, NOT reef safe and not marketed as such.

Plus, please don't feed the trolls

Ah I misread. Thought it was a new 'reef safe.' Guess it would be interesting to see how it works with some of the more delicate fish.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is.. is this a "Infections via Miasma" debate? Where are the herbs and bird masks?!

I see the directions want you to:
"Before Dosing: Adjust temperature to 82-85°F. This accelerates the life cycle of the parasites and insures maximum exposure to the treatment."

So, would this be better in an empty tank where you can limit cyst/eggys in sand or rocks?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish have territories like dogs ... so no there are not a million gallons of dilution, because the fish stays in the same general area.

I would ask you one thing ... why do the fish keep getting ich and then other parasites over and over again in certain aquarists tanks? Also since you didn't read further, you just got mad at what I said, I will ask again what happens if you put a person in a semi sealed room? Their oxygen is constricted and their carbon dioxide is increased. You think this might have a role in the disease process?
You haven't answered any question. You just keep asking questions. You give no answers. Yes, these are closed boxes of water. Tell me how we fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back