OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like that rock I say keep it that way regardless of how close to the surface it is. You can mount corals all over the sides. Check out the thread I think it's called my Algea Farm, it's an amazing tank. Some big rocks close the surface not 6" but covered in corals. Some LPS mounted upside down on the bottom. Some of the corals are growing right to the surface of the water. You would just need to acclimate to the higher lighting up there and should be fine.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, although I do like to see tanks with minimal rock so I still may lower it a bit. I couldn't find the thread that you mentioned but I would love to see it so I can imagine the potential of my tank.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't find the thread that you mentioned but I would love to see it so I can imagine the potential of my tank.
This is the tank he was talking about.
Chris' Algae Farm

5.jpg

Last edited:

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking last night about my upcoming build and how to deal with the juncture of sheet rock wood trim and the aquarium edges. Trying to figure out how to deal with the raw edges of the Sheetrock. The outside dimensions of my wall and the tank will be the exact same size. My concern is water drips getting into the Rock and how to prevent this. How did you address the raw edges of the sheet rock? Chris' Algae Farm that's the one sick eh?

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking last night about my upcoming build and how to deal with the juncture of sheet rock wood trim and the aquarium edges. Trying to figure out how to deal with the raw edges of the Sheetrock. The outside dimensions of my wall and the tank will be the exact same size. My concern is water drips getting into the Rock and how to prevent this. How did you address the raw edges of the sheet rock? Chris' Algae Farm that's the one sick eh?
That is an awesome tank! I want to have a minimalist aquascape like that but whenever I start adding rock I can't stop. I think I am stuck on the thought that the Rock has to look good in order for the tank to look good which isn't necessarily true. I have to remind myself to see the potential.
As far as your tank-I was faced with the same problem with the decision of the trim and exposed edges of Sheetrock. I originally wanted the tank to be completely flush with the wall but after MUCH thought I decided to wrap the ends of the wall/Sheetrock with wood so the tank is pushed up against wood instead of Sheetrock. I made the wood stick out far enough to frame the tank with trim on the wall. I didn't want to risk having any of the material that I use swell or crumble over time so I am using poplar or maple instead of MDF which was used for most of the other trim work in my house. It doesn't do well when it gets even a little wet.
Not sure how well I explained it but let me know if I can help out.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Chris' tank is something to look up to for sure. You did explain it well, I was already sort of heading in that direction in my mind. I was a custom cabinet maker for years in my past, and before that built house. This morning I realized I may need to think about this as a large cabinet with 2x4 framing on the inside. I am going to need access doors under the tank for storage, access doors above the tank on both sides for cleaning/maintenance/feeding. I think what I'm going to do is build the structure and sort of leave space to inset the sheet rock so that the finished surfaces are inline with the plane of the tank. I've been thinking of this like turning the space into a stand, when I'm going to actually need to tear out much of the existing structure and rebuild to meet the needs of the tank.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Chris' tank is something to look up to for sure. You did explain it well, I was already sort of heading in that direction in my mind. I was a custom cabinet maker for years in my past, and before that built house. This morning I realized I may need to think about this as a large cabinet with 2x4 framing on the inside. I am going to need access doors under the tank for storage, access doors above the tank on both sides for cleaning/maintenance/feeding. I think what I'm going to do is build the structure and sort of leave space to inset the sheet rock so that the finished surfaces are inline with the plane of the tank. I've been thinking of this like turning the space into a stand, when I'm going to actually need to tear out much of the existing structure and rebuild to meet the needs of the tank.
Sounds very similar to my inner battles. I thought at one point I was going to have to rip out the entire wall and essentially rebuild a cabinet underneath it but I decided not to make any access under it since I have a fish room behind it. With your plans on access from underneath it would be a lot nicer if it was built like a cabinet instead of 2x4s like mine. Good luck with getting the Sheetrock to match up with the tank. I want to see how you finally get it done.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of the sump I plan on using. I am planning on adding on another tank as a refugium but not quite sure where to put it yet.
1da2dfec6cf0f18b8fce7ad6e7c47450.jpg

a361c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work and pre planning. Love the finish carpentry and all around attention to detail.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool sump! What no room in the dish room for a fuge? My sump and fuge are going in the basement. My refugium is a 40 breeder with a coast to coast. I am going to have a return pump designated for that in my skimmer chamber and the overflow lines flowing right into my bubble trap so all the bugs get to the DT. Could you do something like that? You don't need a giant refugium. I'm going to have use 2x4 in my construction also. How did you manage to cut all the wall studs square and level the platform without destroying the sheet rock?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool sump! What no room in the dish room for a fuge? My sump and fuge are going in the basement. My refugium is a 40 breeder with a coast to coast. I am going to have a return pump designated for that in my skimmer chamber and the overflow lines flowing right into my bubble trap so all the bugs get to the DT. Could you do something like that? You don't need a giant refugium. I'm going to have use 2x4 in my construction also. How did you manage to cut all the wall studs square and level the platform without destroying the sheet rock?
I have some room in my fish room for a fuge-just not as big as I had hoped. I was trying to save enough room for a 40 breeder right next to the sump but not enough room. I may just start out with a 20 tall or something. I have plenty of room further under the platform of my stairs (about 10'x5') where eventually I will put my frag tank,QT, etc. I could put a bigger fuge back there too but I don't want to have to duck back under there too much.
I plan on feeding the fuge from a manifold coming off the return pump in the sump then having an overflow from the fuge dumping back into the return pump area in the sump so the pods can make it to the DT. Sounds very similar to what you are planning. The manifold will also feed carbon/gfo reactors, QT, frag tank, and maybe ozone or uv sterilizer in the future if necessary.
As far as the construction-I didn't worry about the Sheetrock ends because I knew everything was going to be covered up with trim so I just used a sawzall. I framed the platform when I built the wall the first time so it was level to begin with. I just had to cut out a few nails to remove the studs.

OP
OP
Jackcarp

Jackcarp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So I haven't had much of updates lately. I did find out that my tank is done and should be getting crated and shipped soon. I have ordered some red PVC pipe and some other plumbing parts. I have also spent waaaay too much time rearranging my aquascape to the point I think I am driving my wife nuts. I can sense her eye rolling .

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your tank will be there soon and you'll have other things to do/think about. I would spend as much time as you want with your aquascape, best to just do it once. Let your wife roll her eyes, that's what I do every day as she's rolling her eyes at me because I'm surfing R2R.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back