New installation of Reefer 250 and the overflow on top is extremely noisy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Reefer 250 is in my living room and the sound level coming from the overflow on top is so loud you can hear it in the bedroom. My installer played with the valve and the power level on my S1 pump for over 30 minutes and could not lower the loud drainage gurgling type sound.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am sure RS did not intend for this to happen.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water level in the overflow and sump? Any pics?

Also what power level is your V1 at?

Marekp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that issue sometimes. Check for loose lids that cause excessive rattles depending on what system you are running. My hob skimmer makes noise and the cover has to be a certain way to avoid it as sometimes the plastic warps over time

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your water level in the overflow and sump? Any pics?
Also what power level is your V1 at?

Here are some pictures, it is an S1 pump. The RS RSK-300 skimmer that I ordered has not arrived at my LFS yet.

By the way, I am not sure if this has any bearing on the loud sound from the overflow but this is the new V3 sump from RS.

IMG_9734.JPG
IMG_9736.JPG
IMG_9737.JPG

JR55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures, it is an S1 pump. The RS RSK-300 skimmer that I ordered has not arrived at my LFS yet.

By the way, I am not sure if this has any bearing on the loud sound from the overflow but this is the new V3 sump from RS.

IMG_9734.JPG
IMG_9736.JPG
IMG_9737.JPG

upload_2019-2-6_5-33-58.png

Take the cover off the overflow box and see if there is water going down the overflow tube R42209 in the above picture. If there is that is the source of the noise. You can either slow your V1 down until water no longer flows into the overflow tube or open the flow valve a tiny bit at a time and wait a minute or two before adjusting it again. The goal is to have little or no water going into the overflow tube. If you open the flow valve too much it will start to make a gurgling or clicking sound from air being sucked into the valve from the primary overflow tube so then slowly close the valve a tiny bit and wait a minute or two before adjusting again or you can speed the pump up. The valve is very sensitive.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9742.jpg
upload_2019-2-6_5-33-58.png

Take the cover off the overflow box and see if there is water going down the overflow tube R42209 in the above picture. If there is that is the source of the noise. You can either slow your V1 down until water no longer flows into the overflow tube or open the flow valve a tiny bit at a time and wait a minute or two before adjusting it again. The goal is to have little or no water going into the overflow tube. If you open the flow valve too much it will start to make a gurgling or clicking sound from air being sucked into the valve from the primary overflow tube so then slowly close the valve a tiny bit and wait a minute or two before adjusting again or you can speed the pump up. The valve is very sensitive.

I just looked and the level of the water is approximately 3 inches below the the top of that tube.

Last edited:

WickedCZ4A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dial the valve so that the water is just trickling down the emergency drain.
Change it slowly. Once you turn the valve, it takes a few minutes to stabilize so be patient.

I'm surprised your installer couldn't figure this out.. this method works for literally all tanks Red Sea or not.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dial the valve so that the water is just trickling down the emergency drain.
Change it slowly. Once you turn the valve, it takes a few minutes to stabilize so be patient.

I'm surprised your installer couldn't figure this out.. this method works for literally all tanks Red Sea or not.

Am I turning the valve clockwise to slow down the water flow?

WickedCZ4A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I turning the valve clockwise to slow down the water flow?

Yes. You are closing the drain valve (righty tighty) so that it slows the main drain and raises the water in the rear overflow.

Once you have it dialed correctly, if you ever raise the S1 power so that more water is being pumped into the main display, you'll have to open up the drain valve to allow more water to flow back into the sump.

Just as long as you keep that slow trickle of water going down the emergency drain you'll have the quietest setup.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. You are closing the drain valve (righty tighty) so that it slows the main drain and raises the water in the rear overflow.

Once you have it dialed correctly, if you ever raise the S1 power so that more water is being pumped into the main display, you'll have to open up the drain valve to allow more water to flow back into the sump.

Just as long as you keep that slow trickle of water going down the emergency drain you'll have the quietest setup.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I make out.
By the way, can I assume that the water being 3 inches below the top of the tube in the picture I attached to my previous post is not the normal correct level?

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the noise your hearing is air being sucked down the main overflow. you need to tighten the valve to slow the flow down which will raise up the water level so it can't suck air. adjust in tiny increments and wait 5 minutes then adjust again if necessary.
if you get it adjusted and there is a lot of water going into the backup overflow then you need to turn the return pump down and start over

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I make out.
By the way, can I assume that the water being 3 inches below the top of the tube in the picture I attached to my previous post is not the normal correct level?
correct. thats not the right level, you need the water level to be higher so it can't suck air. im surprised your installer couldnt figure this out i don't think id hire that guy/gal to do anything on my tank if he can't even figure that out.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its still gurgling down the main overflow with the valve all the way tight?

Something just happened as I was just able to move the valve clockwise again and the overflow tank filled up to the top of the tubes. The sound has started to improve. I think the valve was stuck part way, now the tube on top is making a noise like you were sucking on a straw.

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so now open it up slowly until the water level is just barely under the backup overflow or barely splashing over it(center pipe).

Jack Jack Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diito what was said before, you have to adjust it so that the waterline just barely touches the emergency (middle) drain pipe - or about 1/2 inch from it. This will quite all the gurgling. However, if you go too far and it flows down the emergency pipe, it will be noisy again. So it has to right in between.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so now open it up slowly until the water level is just barely under the backup overflow or barely splashing over it(center pipe).

Thanks, last night you could hear the tank all the way in the bedroom and my wife was ready to kill me because it kept her up all night. :(
You are a lifesaver!!!

NoobReeefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha...no worries dude. it sounds like you got it dialed in...no more noice right?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back