New(ish)

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 50g cube up and running for a little over a year. I enjoy it so much that I drained my 210g African Cichlid tank and am currently gathering the equipment I will need to set the tank up as a peninsula. Tank should be "wet" by mid-April.
Before I got too far into the project my wife hit me with the logic bomb of all logic bombs. She mentioned that before I set the tank up would be the best time to replace the carpet with tile. She said it'd probably be pretty rough on the fish and corals to set the tank up only to tear it down a short time later to replace the floors. It was pretty much a one-sided battle. I had no defense what-so-ever.
Floors look amazing, but my tank is still dry. ARGH!
I have a set income (pension) and a kid in college. If I save up my lunch money, I can buy a decent piece of equipment for the tank each month. Lol. I'm 48 and give myself an allowance.
Anyways, once I get the custom peninsula stand, I have enough equipment to plum the tank and begin cycling it, but I'm going to hold out till I get an Apex Fusion with a few leak detectors, and a few other do-dads. So Maybe by mid-April......
Thanks for reading. I hope to become more active in the forums as the project progresses.
Ted

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 50g cube up and running for a little over a year. I enjoy it so much that I drained my 210g African Cichlid tank and am currently gathering the equipment I will need to set the tank up as a peninsula. Tank should be "wet" by mid-April.
Before I got too far into the project my wife hit me with the logic bomb of all logic bombs. She mentioned that before I set the tank up would be the best time to replace the carpet with tile. She said it'd probably be pretty rough on the fish and corals to set the tank up only to tear it down a short time later to replace the floors. It was pretty much a one-sided battle. I had no defense what-so-ever.
I have a set income (pension) and a kid in college. If I save up my lunch money, I can buy a decent piece of equipment for the tank each month. Lol. I'm 48 and give myself an allowance.
Anyways, once I get the custom peninsula stand, I have enough equipment to plum the tank and begin cycling it, but I'm going to hold out till I get an Apex Fusion with a few leak detectors, and a few other do-dads. So Maybe by mid-April......
Thanks for reading. I hope to become more active in the forums as the project progresses.
Ted

Have you completely sanitized the 210 and run vinegar water through it to completely kill all the residual nasties? You could definitely be doing that while you wait to ensure your equipment is properly sanitized and good to go. Also, I agree with your choice, 210 reef is a lot more fun and exciting than a cichlid tank.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you will really enjoy the reef tank and the challenges that go with it.

I think you are making a great decision to wait until you have the right gear. You dont have to have the best gear but having the right gear makes life sooo much easier and enjoyable. you can find some used gear that is pretty awesome also if you are patient enough (i have none of that by the way)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ted
Welcome to R2R
Wives yes sometimes they can mess a good plan up, lol Good luck
You will like the Apex good luck keep us posted

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Just an opinion, like we all have but you should read the thread (switching controllers) sounds like you’re like some of us out there that wants the good stuff but can’t just jump and buy whatever we want. I’ve been reading a lot of articles about apex and I’m honestly not one for controllers as I’m kinda old school and feel it’s another add on that can fail. I love my reef and so does our family. Now I’m trying to move up a little in the hobby and not be stubborn lol. Anyhow just thought you might like the article. I don’t know how to paste the thread but it’s here on the trending part or just search the title.
HAPPY REEFING.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else jealous that he’s 48 and partially (if not fully) retired?
Sounds like a project and a half! I’m definitely following along.
Zack, who wants to know what you did for a living.

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else jealous that he’s 48 and partially (if not fully) retired?
Sounds like a project and a half! I’m definitely following along.
Zack, who wants to know what you did for a living.
Zak, Sorry its taken almost two years to respond to your question. I retired from the US Air Force when I was 43. My wife retired from the US Air Force in 2014. Between our pension, disability and moderate investing neither of us have to go back to work. As long as nothing totally crazzy happens we're limited, but set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. (not the shortest version, but not the longest either.)
My wife and daughter have horses. We lived just outside of San Antonio TX and leased horse property near by. The property arrangement looked like it was going to change. Not in our favor. We sold our home in San Antonio and bought a home on 4.5 acres, just enough for the horses we have in a town near Dallas/Ft Worth, Stephenville Texas. Anyone familiar with 90's and early 00's pop music should know of the singer Jewel. We bought her old home/recording studio. I tore down both the 50g and 210g and sold the live stock and corals. I figured it'd be a few months before I got the big tank up and running. Been in the house 5 months and the 72x24x29 (210g) is still dry. It'll stay that way till the end of January when it will be sold and picked up. I am replacing it with a 48x48x24 (239g) by planet aquariums. I'm using most of the gear from the 210g on the new tank. I upgraded from a Trigger Ruby 36 to a CR44 sump and from 3x Reef Breeders Photon V2s to a pair of 48-inch Aquatic Life T5 hybrids that I can put my Photon V2s in. (Note: the 48-inch fixtures may be too big for what I had in mind. I may need to return them for the 36-inch versions.) The powder coated stand and tank should be ready for pick/deliver around the 30th of January.

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Just an opinion, like we all have but you should read the thread (switching controllers) sounds like you’re like some of us out there that wants the good stuff but can’t just jump and buy whatever we want. I’ve been reading a lot of articles about apex and I’m honestly not one for controllers as I’m kinda old school and feel it’s another add on that can fail. I love my reef and so does our family. Now I’m trying to move up a little in the hobby and not be stubborn lol. Anyhow just thought you might like the article. I don’t know how to paste the thread but it’s here on the trending part or just search the title.
HAPPY REEFING.
I've been running my Apex on the 50g, 210g, and my salt mixing station. All in all, I've been running an Apex for about 5 years. The only issues I've had were my fault except for the one time the brain lost communication due to a failed component. Apex replaced the unit for the cost of shipping.

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way. Here is the 210g from when we lived in San Antonio.

OP
OP
S

Strat1960s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1580616349739.png
1580616374839.png
1580616396684.png

Making some progress. I have the stand. The tank is on the stand. The tank and stand are level. Small town hardware and plumbing shops are closed on Sundays. I totally respect that. I'll be in church anyways. So Monday, I'll pick up the needed PVC, elbows, and universals. 1.5 drain lines x3 and 1.0 return lines x2. Two main drains and an emergency overflow. Tank is 48x48x24 (240g). Its heavy!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back