New job at the lfs

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about a month ago, my lfs store called me with a job offer. They are a newer store and lacking in the saltwater knowledge area and I had been giving them advice now and then. I agreed to meet with the owner and did. I had been at my current job 15 years and was absolutely ready to walk, in fact I had pretty much given my supervisor an ultimatum 2 hours before this offer came. The store owner matched my current salary and benefits so I took the job. So my responsibilities are mostly servicing customer owned salt tanks, setting up new customer tanks, and caring for the stores salt tanks. I just set up the stores new display reef tank, a 230 total gallon beast,it’s currently cycling. I couldn’t be happier!!! I wake up much happier every morning! It’s like a dream, I get to build tanks using other peoples money. I never would have dreamed that at 55 years old, I could make such a drastic career change but I did. I really hope that the store does well, and things work out, and I think it will. Please wish me luck!!!

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aw brilliant a job that you enjoy often gets called " not really work"
Great also that they matched your old jobs wages/ benefits ( I guess you mean health care and the likes ) we don't really get stuff like this with jobs in England as have free health care anyway ( well will pay for it some way as nothing free in life right ^_^ )

Hope all goes well for you in your new venture and hope the new lfs is a big success .
Good luck

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! Sounds like a dream job. I wish you well.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's great to hear.... as long as you love it, you will wake up happy every day... don't let the downers get to you though,, they are out there...

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great, could not be happier for you. Let us know how things go, all the great things in a couple of the challenges.

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. I recently retired early because I just burned out and couldn't stand to go in every morning. I wish you the best. I have always told my kids you don't have to love your job, thats why you get paid. But oh to do something you enjoy and get paid? I couldn't imagine.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds awesome. Now let's hope like most trades people , you don't forget to look after your tank ;)
At least in Australia you find many trades people neglect their own home while caring for others in their day to day job.

Or like being an IT expert and can't leave work at work. Every one has a computer problem and they ask you to fix it free. I left IT because of that.

Good luck in the new job.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You on a salary? Going to be a lot of nights and weekends. I did your job part time for 4 years.

OP
OP
Thunder_reef

Thunder_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You on a salary? Going to be a lot of nights and weekends. I did your job part time for 4 years.
Owner is very big on quality of life issues. I was used to working every other weekend, most holidays and getting mandated for a double shift at the least minute. I worked in a hospital. Now I’m off most weekends, and can get time off pretty easy.

At the moment I’d say the biggest issue I have getting used to equipment that I’m not used to, different brands of lighting, skimmers etc….that and I have a large tank that houses an epaulette shark that is a little challenging.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Done Congrats GIF by America's Got Talent

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! Good for you. I wish you the best of luck. It’s awesome not waking up every morning dreading work .

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back