New kole tang

Rayray3323

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2yr established 125 gal tank and I just got a kole tang for it. Drip acclimated it and then put it in a Q tank. It seems to be breathing a little fast. Other than that its acting normal as it is actively swimming around the tank and picking at rocks. Just wondering if things were ok. My water parameters are all fine. SpG 1.024. Temp 80deg. No ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are very minimal. Everything else is normal. Had the lfs test my water before buying the tang as well and they said is was great. Just wondering about the breathing. Could it just be the stress of the move?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2yr established 125 gal tank and I just got a kole tang for it. Drip acclimated it and then put it in a Q tank. It seems to be breathing a little fast. Other than that its acting normal as it is actively swimming around the tank and picking at rocks. Just wondering if things were ok. My water parameters are all fine. SpG 1.024. Temp 80deg. No ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates are very minimal. Everything else is normal. Had the lfs test my water before buying the tang as well and they said is was great. Just wondering about the breathing. Could it just be the stress of the move?

Keep a close eye on him.
He might be stressed as he's just in the QT but that should calm down.
The fact that it's picking on your rock is a good sign.
If the rocks start picking on him............ not so good ;)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on him.
He might be stressed as he's just in the QT but that should calm down.
The fact that it's picking on your rock is a good sign.
If the rocks start picking on him............ not so good ;)

What he said! Needs time to acclimate/settle in. Just keep an eye on him.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Try patience first. :)

But, if he did not get a freshwater dip on the way into the QT, you could do that anytime if he's still breathing heavy and you're worried. From 5 to 15 minutes in a temperature-matched, dechlorinated tapwater bath. If there are parasites on his gills (one other thing that's likely to cause "panting" like this) the dip can buy him time.

(If you try that and get results, that just means you have an idea what's going on now, not that he's cured. So make sure you post back here! :))

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let us know something soon.
Will tag the #reefsquad in here as others might help you out if the need is there and I'm not logged in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavy breathing in this situation can be normal. I agree with the "wait and watch". If he's still breathing heavily tomorrow, then you may try a freshwater dip to see if he's got some flukes or another parasite in his gills making it difficult to breathe.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back