new laptop help

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, i've never truly had my own laptop before, and i just got a brand new Dell XPS.

what the heck is the difference b/w hibernate and sleep modes? lol

my guess is one mode shuts down the hard drive to conserve energy and one mode doesn't.....but i don't know which is which...lol

Hopkins

Team Awesome
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Standby mode is used to conserve energy. When the computer is placed in this mode it switches to a low-power state. All files and applications that you had open remain open but certain devices, including the monitor and hard disks, turn off. Everything that is in the computer’s memory stays there. It is not saved to the hard drive. This mode is ideal when you are taking a short break but it is not the ideal solution when you will be away from your computer for longer periods of time.

Hibernate mode takes everything in your computer’s memory and writes it to a file on the hard drive. The computer is then almost shut down completely. You will notice that it takes longer for your computer to go into and come out of hibernate mode than stand-by. Ideally, if you do not want to shut down your computer, hibernate mode is the better choice when you will be away from your computer for extended periods of time than standby mode.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I bought a Acer from wal-mart and we love it. It dose everything that the rest of them does.

J. Montgomery

Mouth Pipetting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After almost three years my battery is starting to cr*p out on me :( I gotta get a new one. I'm thinking about getting one of the Rayovac replacements carried by Batteries Plus instead of the more expensive Dell replacement. Anyone tried these things?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back