New Leopard Wrasse in QT - Need Advice

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a cup or two of sand in a corner may help.
Place one or two cups of sand in a container and cover with plastic. Get the covered container to an easily accessible corner of the tank and open a small hole in the plastic and pour out the sand in the corner.
He may go for the sand and possibly be good in a day or two.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Place one or two cups of sand in a container and cover with plastic. Get the covered container to an easily accessible corner of the tank and open a small hole in the plastic and pour out the sand in the corner.

i already have a 8x4 container of sand in there about 3” deep. She just likely h

I have an 8x4 container of sand 3” deep in the tank. She just hasn’t found it yet.... so here’s hoping.

She probably was spooked by the light turning on, you are right.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I’ll leave the light off until tomorrow morning and see if she chills out or doesn’t make it.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do this when they can't find sand to sleep in. I would take it out of the container, and put on the tank bottom. You can always siphon it out later.

I had one leopard that would sleep on the bottom of the QT in the corner where the dish of sand met the glass. Completely stressed out, and very rapid breathing, for 3 days, she never went into the container. Once I dumped it out, she hit the sand to reappear 2 days later looking for food. Been with me ever since.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do this when they can't find sand to sleep in. I would take it out of the container, and put on the tank bottom. You can always siphon it out later.

I had one leopard that would sleep on the bottom of the QT in the corner where the dish of sand met the glass. Completely stressed out, and very rapid breathing, for 3 days, she never went into the container. Once I dumped it out, she hit the sand to reappear 2 days later looking for food. Been with me ever since.
Worth a shot. Rinsing the rest of the sand now. I’ll add it to one side of the tank after I dump the stuff in the container out.

OP
OP
JaaxReef

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure it’s worth my time. She isn’t dead, but she’s a goner I think. Swimming around erratically and randomly almost trying to jump out of the water at times. Gills are stopping moving at times almost open, and then breathe one really hard breath every once in a while...

I guess I’ll consider her a failed attempt. I love these fish and I had an ornate leopard wrasse before and never encountered these types of issues. Not sure I’ll try again.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 104 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.8%
Back