Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
572150182.jpg
IMG_20190214_174728316_HDR.jpg
Recently purchased a blue Maxima clam and don't think it's looking very good. I've done a ton of reading on here and can't figure out what the problem is.... Here's some of my tank specs .
Lighting high output LED' ( lighting shouldn't be the issue...)
Nitrate:0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 5-10
Carbon: 400
DKH:7-8
Mag: 1450
It's only been in my tank about a week so maybe still adjusting?

I'm also running biopelets and carbon. Here's a picture please help!!

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
572150182.jpg
IMG_20190214_174728316_HDR.jpg
Recently purchased a blue Maxima clam and don't think it's looking very good. I've done a ton of reading on here and can't figure out what the problem is.... Here's some of my tank specs .
Lighting high output LED' ( lighting shouldn't be the issue...)
Nitrate:0
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: 5-10
Carbon: 400
DKH:7-8
Mag: 1450
It's only been in my tank about a week so maybe still adjusting?

I'm also running biopelets and carbon. Here's a picture please help!!

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention. I did expose it to air but as I put it on the same bed it did burp on it's own. Is that enough or should I try to burp it again??

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I know clams Need some nitrates to feed on as well as light etc. In addition mine will close up if crabs get too close or even fish etc. where did you purchase the clam from, and how did it look prior? (Did you even get to see it before hand?)

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from LFS and it looked similar but it was a new arrival to the store so prob not acclimated totally yet..... I'm hoping

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They can take some time to acclimate up, however their mantel should still be out. You should be able to wave your hand over the top and see them retract it. The other good sign is that they are not wide open. I’d they are wide open that’s not a great sign. How large is this clam and depending on light, have you considered it may have too much?

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

They can take some time to acclimate up, however their mantel should still be out. You should be able to wave your hand over the top and see them retract it. The other good sign is that they are not wide open. I’d they are wide open that’s not a great sign. How large is this clam and depending on light, have you considered it may have too much?

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mantle does come out a little along the entire length just enough to see it though so not much. It's about 5-6 inch long. I don't think it's too much light... my tank is about 32" deep and it's sitting on the sand bed with lights only at 50%...

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank is 34 inches tall and with my lights I’m about 41% on brights but my is 24 inches down on his own flat rock so I can move it once his foot attaches (which it has etc). That way if he need more to less light I could move him and the whole rock. They do like lots of light depending on what your running maybe go up 10% to see if he comes out more or goes in. The nice point is, it may give you a starting point for what it likes. They also like lots of flow and you want to make sure it gets plenty of flow.

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will start to increase the lighting slowly. But I thought if it needed more light it would open up more to get more....? It has plenty of flow.
I will place a stick under it to have something to attach to. I was just going to wait till it improves prior to agitating it more...

Also forgot to mention my PH is low and working on an increase overtime. Currently 7.4!!!

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. I will start to increase the lighting slowly. But I thought if it needed more light it would open up more to get more....? It has plenty of flow.
I will place a stick under it to have something to attach to. I was just going to wait till it improves prior to agitating it more...

Also forgot to mention my PH is low and working on an increase overtime. Currently 7.4!!!
Think it could be the low pH?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see it open at the store? Has it opened any more than a slit for you?
I would attempt to burp it if it was outta water at all. And give it an appropriate rock to attach to, and check for pyramidal snails while your messing with it.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would attempt to burp it if it was outta water at all. And give it an appropriate rock to attach to, and check for pyramidal snails while your messing with it.

+1 and it might need to be burped submerged at different angles slowly since it was exposed. Just slowly for a minute or two.

Please keep us updated.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam doesn't look great unfortunately. The last picture the mantle looks really withdrawn in to the valve. I doubt it's anything in your tank. You could use some nutrients in the tank as the clam will naturally filter feed and absorption through the mantle. The clam was most likely imported and could've been on the decline before you bought it. Clams do not like a lot of flow to the point of the mantle moving, in fact to much flow will cause the clam to withdraw its mantle. Your not going to over illuminate that maxima. Look up James Fatheree, he has really good information on tridacna.

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was open a little bit more at the store but it was a new arrival so it prob wasn't acclimated there yet I'm hoping?

OP
OP
C

Chad Eicher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 and it might need to be burped submerged at different angles slowly since it was exposed. Just slowly for a minute or two.

Please keep us updated.
The burping makes sense as it was outta the water for a couple seconds. It did burp itself right after I placed on the sand bed.... Think it'll need more? Do they burp multiple times after one air exposure??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back