New Member From Florida

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all! I decided I should join the conversation after having lurked for quite a while. I’m a photographer from Gainesville, Florida, and have been into the aquarium hobby for a long time. I actually wanted to be a marine biologist growing up, but life has a way of taking you down different roads you didn’t even see coming.

I’m originally from Miami, so I was fortunate enough to be able to snorkel the coral reefs off the Keys more than a few times while growing up. My love of the ocean and its inhabitants really blossomed in that time. I read all the books I could get my hands on about corals and fish when I was in grade school during the late 1980s.

I kept primarily freshwater aquariums for a very long time, but dipped my toes in the salt for the first time about 8 years ago while living in Vermont. I wanted a piece of the ocean with me while I was up in the frigid north. I started out with a 20-gallon nano-FOWLR tank, but I had to tear it down when I moved. I went back to fresh, keeping mostly Central and South American cichlids, until recently when I decided to try my hand at reefing. I put together a 90-gal. system which is currently two months old. I’m taking it slow and steady though: only a few small fish and a couple of test corals for the moment. I’ve really gleaned a lot of great info from these forums, and other resources like BRStv, so I’m doing my best to avoid the obvious pitfalls.

21A166E0-690E-409B-AE5C-9DADEA0FC35E.jpeg

Thanks, everyone! See you around.

Last edited:

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all! I decided I should join the conversation after having lurked for quite a while. I’m a photographer from Gainesville, Florida, and have been into the aquarium hobby for a long time. I actually wanted to be a marine biologist growing up, but life has a way of taking you down different roads you didn’t even see coming.

I’m originally from Miami, so I was fortunate enough to be able to snorkel the coral reefs off the Keys more than a few times while growing up. My love of the ocean and its inhabitants really blossomed in that time. I read all the books I could get my hands on about corals and fish when I was in grade school during the late 1980s.

I kept primarily freshwater aquariums for a very long time, but dipped my toes in the salt for the first time about 8 years ago while living in Vermont. I wanted a piece of the ocean with me while I was up in the frigid north. I started out with a 20-gallon nano-FOWLR tank, but I had to tear it down when I moved. I went back to fresh, keeping mostly Central and South American cichlids, until recently when I decided to try my hand at reefing. I put together a 90-gal. system which is currently two months old. I’m taking it slow and steady though: only a few small fish and a couple of test corals for the moment. I’ve really gleaned a lot of great info from these forums, and other resources like BRStv, so I’m doing my best to avoid the obvious pitfalls.

21A166E0-690E-409B-AE5C-9DADEA0FC35E.jpeg

Thanks, everyone! See you around.
Welcome cshouston,
Nice lookin tank,
Help us when you can.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....

OP
OP
cshouston

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to G'ville. Go Gators!
I lived there 25 years not so long ago.
How do you like Aquatropics?
Have you met Arthur the newish owner there yet?
He's worked there for years.

Hey! Yeah, Arthur is a great guy. I actually worked there part-time after the sports seasons ended just to stay busy and learn some stuff. It’s a big reason why the reef bug bit me this time around. The store has really gotten better since he and his partner took over. They’re doing a lot of upgrading and cleaning of the systems.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Yeah, Arthur is a great guy. I actually worked there part-time after the sports seasons ended just to stay busy and learn some stuff. It’s a big reason why the reef bug bit me this time around. The store has really gotten better since he and his partner took over. They’re doing a lot of upgrading and cleaning of the systems.
That's good to hear, I've been there a couple of times since he took over.
I use to go there in the 90's when Matias owned it.
I don't get back there often. I need to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Future Floridian here - Doral Springs outside Miami Beach (15 months)

welcome30.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Didn't you hear?
Doral Springs has closed it doors to new comers.
Unless you sell your old tank to buy a new one when you get here. ;Greedy
Bad news my friend- We already have the house and I will be selling the tank as I have a 1500g waiting for me from a fellow in Coral Gables.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 75.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back