New nano reef! Please help!

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a 30 gal reef tank and would like suggestions, ideas, and opinions !
I want a reef that is unique and unoriginal. So many people have clownfish and I think i want to steer away from that. Suggestions fish wise would be nice.

My main want is a harlequin basslet.
Possibilties- jawfish, bangaii cardinalfish,dragonet,

I also want a dwarf angel but not sure if they would abuse corals. And Iv heard the harlequin will pick at smaller mushrooms and stuff like that.I dont see that as a problem with the harlequin

Feedback is much appreciated

Jack

phi delt reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
harlequin basslet - quick search shows minimum tank volume for this fish is 40 gallons and its a predator fish meaning it will eat things smaller than it (i.e. all of these jawfish, bangaii cardinalfish,dragonet)

dragonet you need a solid pod population to sustain the fish or you need to teach it to eat frozen food/pellets. OR you can buy an ORA one that is already trained to eat those types of food.

angel is also too big for that size tank.

you may want to look into getting a 55 gallon tank - equipment wise things are not that much more expensive and you will be able to keep more of the fish you want to keep. I am only doing a 45 gallon tank but i am going into the hobby knowing i will only keep a few small fish but lots of corals. If you are going to stick to nano you may want to check out Nano-Reef.com - The source for nano reef aquarium information - that site caters specifically to small reefs and has a ton of examples you can grab inspiration from.

check out craigslist or your local reefclub or the buy and sell section here - you can get a used 55gallon setup with most of what you need for pennies on the dollar - same goes for a nano setup.

good luck and happy reefing

vince

reefer916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stay away from dwarf angels, if your planning on having any LPS because many of them will kill your corals. I thought about doing a goby and pistol shrimp combo in my tank. Cardinals would be a problem, if your planning to have sps because the flow maybe too high.

Whitechocolate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted jawfish are amazing fish, they come with a big price tag but they are extremely active and seem to have an actual personality. The colors can be amazing too, just make sure u have a few inches of substrate for it to burrow.

peachyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say figure out if you want to do a reef, what type of reef, and build the tank around the corals (ie. lights filtration and chemical components) and then think about the fish and how they would fit into the plan. Or you will end up upgrading forever. (my personal experience :) )

Also I have kept a pygmy angel in a twenty gallon and I have two potters in my display none have touched a clam or coral. But I have had tangs munch on zoas like no tomorrow. It really depends on the fish.

As far as unique nano livestock, coral crouchers, golden dwarf morays, and flaming prawn gobies are the way to go.

best of luck!

Sasquatch

~Brunt of all jokes~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say figure out if you want to do a reef, what type of reef, and build the tank around the corals (ie. lights filtration and chemical components) and then think about the fish and how they would fit into the plan. Or you will end up upgrading forever. (my personal experience :) )

this is the 10 point GOLDEN ANSWER! ++

OP
OP
B

BigFeesh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah in the past couple days iv figured out a plan and know have a taro tree and a rock with several lavender mushrooms on it. What are potters ( your talking to a newb here). :bigsmile:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 165 44.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 129 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.3%
Back