Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F697AAF2-3A4F-4526-94B0-3B0F2F8F7A1D.gif

reef_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add fast growing soft corals like GSP and Xenia asap, they will spread fast and help with nitrate control (better to grow corals on your nitrates/phosphates than leave tank empty and grow hair algae/cyano). They are also good visual indicators of tank events while surviving most (ammonia spikes etc)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good comments above, nothing to add except Welcome and Thanks for joining

and

I wish I had not added hairy mushrooms early on, the species I have is as allopathic as any coral in my tank - nothing will grow even near them - others are not so bad - but they too will spread, so islands make sense

100.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! First-time poster here. I purchased a WaterBox 20-gallon cube about 5-6 weeks ago and have been loving it. This is my first saltwater tank after keeping freshwater tanks for over 10 years. I am loving the process. Added my first inverts 5 days ago, as my tank was finally done cycling. Going to add clown fish within this next week, once my Nitrites go back down after this mini cycle with adding in the new inverts.

The levels are at:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .5-.10
Nitrate: .20ppm

My question is, when can I start to add coral? I was looking at adding Either Xenia (on an island rock), a Hairy Mushroom, or a Toadstool Leather.

Would love some advice! Thank you!

Welcome! Glad you joined. You've listed the corals you're interested in order I'd put them of easiest ones... once it is stable for while then give one a try.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Orlando:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back