New Nano Reefer: Coral Question

SaltySmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! First-time poster here. I purchased a WaterBox 20-gallon cube about 5-6 weeks ago and have been loving it. This is my first saltwater tank after keeping freshwater tanks for over 10 years. I am loving the process. Added my first inverts 5 days ago, as my tank was finally done cycling. Going to add clown fish within this next week, once my Nitrites go back down after this mini cycle with adding in the new inverts.

The levels are at:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .5-.10
Nitrate: .20ppm

My question is, when can I start to add coral? I was looking at adding Either Xenia (on an island rock), a Hairy Mushroom, or a Toadstool Leather.

Would love some advice! Thank you!

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

You would be safe adding some beginner corals after your cycle is done and tank is stable. I would keep an eye on your levels after adding the clownfish. If everything stays good try some frags out! The corals you mentioned are all pretty hardy and should do just fine.

OP
OP
S

SaltySmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

You would be safe adding some beginner corals after your cycle is done and tank is stable. I would keep an eye on your levels after adding the clownfish. If everything stays good try some frags out! The corals you mentioned are all pretty hardy and should do just fine.
Awesome, thanks Kristopher! Is it normal for a mini cycle to happen (recent nitrite spike) after adding the inverts?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks Kristopher! Is it normal for a mini cycle to happen (recent nitrite spike) after adding the inverts?
It's normal for levels to fluctuate a bit when adding new inhabitants in the beginning. The bacteria populations tend to build and plateau based off of available food for them. In this case ammonia. After adding more ammonia sources their populations have to grow to catch up.

Once it's very well established and the bacteria population are big enough. Adding a few extra mouths at a time won't cause any fluctuations but it takes time.

New tanks are not as stable as established ones for that reason.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Looking Coral Reef GIF by Monterey Bay Aquarium

OP
OP
S

SaltySmith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for levels to fluctuate a bit when adding new inhabitants in the beginning. The bacteria populations tend to build and plateau based off of available food for them. In this case ammonia. After adding more ammonia sources their populations have to grow to catch up.

Once it's very well established and the bacteria population are big enough. Adding a few extra mouths at a time won't cause any fluctuations but it takes time.

New tanks are not as stable as established ones for that reason.
Gotcha! Thanks for the advice! One last question, would you recommend a water change the day I add the clowns (right before adding them)? That way my nitrates come down a bit?

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! Thanks for the advice! One last question, would you recommend a water change the day I add the clowns (right before adding them)? That way my nitrates come down a bit?
Fish won't be bothered by nitrates unless they are exceptionally high. But it wouldn't hurt anything as long as the saltwater is well mixed and you allow the temperature to come back up if you don't pre heat your mixed saltwater.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! You can get Ammonia and Nitrite spikes if some of your inverts die. It's more noticeable in a smaller tank like yours.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! First-time poster here. I purchased a WaterBox 20-gallon cube about 5-6 weeks ago and have been loving it. This is my first saltwater tank after keeping freshwater tanks for over 10 years. I am loving the process. Added my first inverts 5 days ago, as my tank was finally done cycling. Going to add clown fish within this next week, once my Nitrites go back down after this mini cycle with adding in the new inverts.

The levels are at:
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .5-.10
Nitrate: .20ppm

My question is, when can I start to add coral? I was looking at adding Either Xenia (on an island rock), a Hairy Mushroom, or a Toadstool Leather.

Would love some advice! Thank you!
Nitrate IF STEADY is acceptable as long as ammonia is Zero or Near zero. As you feed and tank matures, your nitrate will begin to fall. If not, do small water changes
What test kits are you using ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%

Back