New Nano Tank Suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter kolokele
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kolokele

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2023
Messages
35
Reaction score
18
Location
San Francisco Bay Area
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reef2Reef - I have a 2-1/2-year-old Biocube 16 with soft corals, inverts, a clown, and a goby. I also have a 3-gallon pico that evolved in about the same time frame. It was not much of anything for a long time. I tried breeding brine shrimp, and then it was just a place for macro and qt for coral. Then I realized that since it is a small tank with little flow and lower lighting, mushroom corals do well in there, so It is mostly a mushroom tank with 2 soft corals, 2 snails, a hermit crab, an emerald crab, and a court jester goby I cannot capture to put in my lager tank! I have added copepods previously, so he seems ok if there will be no competition. However, the pico is acrylic, which no longer looks great - it is foggy and scratched. I have coralline algae I cannot remove without further damage.

This comes to my question - I am considering getting a new glass tank that is 5-15 gallons. What might you suggest for an easy transition for those who like smaller Nano or Pico tanks? I am worried about triggering a new tank cycle event, so any advice on avoiding that would be helpful! I am attaching videos from my pico top view and side - ignore the bristle worms - it was feeding time, and they all came out - I should call it my "bristle worm pico."
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6299.MOV
    65.3 MB
  • IMG_6301.MOV
    35.8 MB
  • IMG_6277.MOV
    21.9 MB
I like the innovative marine tanks - they have a couple of AIOs in the 10-15 gallon range. If you are transferring your existing rocks over to the new tank I don't think it'll have any cycling issues. You'll probably want to use new sand though.
 
Take a look at some of the reef casa setups. I’ve been tossing around the idea of getting a bedroom tank. I really enjoy fragbox tv page a feel into looking at these.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new