New Nano

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start here with a question of curiosity. I know there are a lot of new AIO (All In One) tanks on the market. But mine is just a plain rimless tank with a HOB filter, a heater and an ATO. I dose alk and Ca every morning and test the water once a week. Everything seems quite stable for now. I'd be interested in 2 subjects. Talking to anyone who has a simple nano tank that is NOT an AIO system. And hearing from anybody who had a simple nano tank and switched to an AIO system and can share their thoughts about what is better or worse with that switch.

Some of you may know me already, I post a lot about snorkeling and beach collecting and I'm pretty knowledgeable about RFAs, but I'm kind of new to this forum. For the last 20 years I've had bigger display tanks, at one point I had a 425g system in our dining room. But I frequently have smaller tanks of 5g, 10g 20g or 40g going that typically house critters I've collected while snorkeling in the Florida Keys (5 hours from home), or at a local beach/estuary or even off the beach on Sanibel Island after a cold front in the winter. I also had a 16g tank dedicated to breeding RFAs which was only marginally successful.

But I've never really tried to keep just a small reef tank for the main tank in our house. My change in approach is due to the fact that my wife and I are doing a lot more traveling now that we are both retired. And we were never really comfortable leaving our big tanks full of coral and fish to a couple of friends who also take care of our cat when we go away. If a pump failed, or a fish died, or worse yet, a leak of some kind started, we couldn't really ask them to do the work of fixing things while we were on vacation.

So, I've sold off our 90g DT and most of the hardware associated with it. I've even sold off or given away a lot of reserve or spare equipment I kept on the shelf as back ups. Now I have a 16g rimless tank that I built from spare glass used in other builds. I also kept a 5g, a 10g and a 40g standard tank... just in case. I want to keep feeding anything to the tank at a minimum. And I want this system to be almost bulletproof in terms of pumps and leaks. That way we have far less to worry about when we are away and even if something does fail, it probably won't be catastrophic and may be easy for our cat sitter to fix. After all, it's not that hard to change out a HOB filter system.

I'm kind of starting over with this 16g tank. I sold all my livestock except for one expensive and uncommon RFA, a hermit crab that got missed when moving out the livestock along with a couple of zoas. I did keep some sand and rock which I used in the set up of the 16g tank. I have a big HOB filter system in use and an older 16" Photon led light. I also have a small in-tank skimmer which is not in use at this time.

I set up the tank with sand and a few rocks. I put the RFA (which is in a PVC end cap), the crab and zoas in the tank. Everything seems to be going smoothly so far. So, I bought some coral frags, mostly lps and sps, to start populating the tank. It's my intention to not have any more fish that is absolutely necessary. That means less need to feed anything to the tank.

Tomorrow my wife and I leave for a 3 day snorkel trip to the Keys. I intend to collect some astrea snails, some cerith snails, some nerite snails, 1 or 2 small serpent stars, a very small yellow sea cucumber, any RFAs I can collect and maybe a decorative algae if I can find one. Of course I may not find all that I am looking for, and I'm always willing to consider anything else that I might find that would work in this tank, like a coral banded shrimp, a small emerald crab or maybe a couple of small hermit crabs.

Anything I collect will get held in a small holding tank for some period of time, a few days to a few weeks depending on conditions. I have collected many times in the Keys and have never had anything cause a problem in my big DTs. Both my wife and I will take photos and I'll post them here next week along with a list and photos of anything I collect. There may even be updates from the Keys.

Ron

This is the 90g tank I just sold off.

DSCN3479 R1.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,tank was beautiful, which nem did you keep ?
following along for the progress, @Eagle_Steve might like this too... ;) :)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 of course I like what @Ron Reefman is doing lol. Chatted about snorkeling the Keys with him numerous times. Also had some good chats about RFA breeding, tracking when they breed to see if we could figure out a pattern, etc.

Ron, I am glad to see that you are back into it. Gonna miss all of the RFA pics from the old tank, but I understand completely.

As always, the pics from the trips are a welcomed thing lol. Load us up and hit me up if you have any questions about small tanks with minimal equipment to run them. I have quite a few right now, on top of my big tanks.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,tank was beautiful, which nem did you keep ?
following along for the progress, @Eagle_Steve might like this too... ;) :)
In that photo, it's the 3rd one from the left (looks kind of orange in the photo). The face is a fairly dark burgundy which does not fluoresce, but the tentacles are a bright yellow/gold with tiny green specs inside. The tentacles fluoresce like crazy. At the time I bought it, it was the only one like it I had ever seen. Since then I have seen one more.

@fishguy242 of course I like what @Ron Reefman is doing lol. Chatted about snorkeling the Keys with him numerous times. Also had some good chats about RFA breeding, tracking when they breed to see if we could figure out a pattern, etc.

Ron, I am glad to see that you are back into it. Gonna miss all of the RFA pics from the old tank, but I understand completely.

As always, the pics from the trips are a welcomed thing lol. Load us up and hit me up if you have any questions about small tanks with minimal equipment to run them. I have quite a few right now, on top of my big tanks.

Thanks Steve, besides tanks with minimal equipment, have you ever had a small AIO tank? If so, what did you think of it.

I have glass from a 40g tank I ran before with a sump. I'm seriously thinking of putting it back together, cover the holes in the bottom glass and try to install a back wall inside the tank and make it an AIO tank. That way I get away from the HOB filter that I've never been crazy about.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that photo, it's the 3rd one from the left (looks kind of orange in the photo). The face is a fairly dark burgundy which does not fluoresce, but the tentacles are a bright yellow/gold with tiny green specs inside. The tentacles fluoresce like crazy. At the time I bought it, it was the only one like it I had ever seen. Since then I have seen one more.

Thanks Steve, besides tanks with minimal equipment, have you ever had a small AIO tank? If so, what did you think of it.

I have glass from a 40g tank I ran before with a sump. I'm seriously thinking of putting it back together, cover the holes in the bottom glass and try to install a back wall inside the tank and make it an AIO tank. That way I get away from the HOB filter that I've never been crazy about.
I have a biocube full of RFA, another DIY aio that uses a fiji cube insert and a couple DIY AIOs that I made. I love them. They are simple, easy to take care of and I can get all of the filtration I need in the compartments. Being as I do not run a minimalist scape, my rocks do most of the work when it comes to keeping things in check.

Biggest thing is having an ATO for smaller tanks. I make my own with a cheap 5v cat fountain pump, some float switches, rodi tubing and a 5v power supply. Works great, takes up no room and is easily made.

Heck, the media racks are made out of scrap egg crate from old frag racks. When I say cheap to build, they are cheap to build lol.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve, when I get back from this snorkel trip, we'll have to talk.

OP
OP
Ron Reefman

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bahia Honda State Park is making a great come back after Hurricane Irma almost destroyed it. Snorkeling off the beach we saw lots of different Gorgonians (coral) and 5 or 6 Flamingo Tongue snails which only feed on gorgonians and are quite uncommon!
We also saw a strawberry crab ( a red emerald crab) and a black long spine urchin. We've seen them before, but Bahia Honda was almost without any animals a couple of years ago, even a couple of years after Hurricane Irma. So these were very pleasant surprises!

Flamingo tongue.jpg

Today is a bit windy, so we will do the lee side of Spanish Harbor Key and the Horseshoe area. Tomorrow the wind is forecast to be less than 6mph and we'll do Little Money Key and maybe even Money Key. It's a mile off shore and my wife gets a bit concerned about going that far out in a small inflatable boat!

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank back in the day was a small cube with no AIO. There are a few advantages, but in your comparison they arnt too major. The first is that it’s a convenient place to put the heart, pump, mechanical filtration etc that is more concealed. The second is that the overflow of a AIO chamber usually does a better job if skimming the surface than any HOB filter I’ve seen. Finally, in an AIO system, Warren level is constant except for one of the AIO chambers, which makes topping up easier to keep a stable salinity than filling the whole tank.

You can certainly accomplish all the same things in an AIO vs hang on back, but it’s just preference. I think AIO are popular for a reason though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back