New Naoko's Wrasse Behavior Question.

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone , I added my Naoko wrasse to my display today after 4 weeks in QT. The wrasse ate very well and was always out and about in my qt tank. Since adding him to my display he only hangs out at the top right hand corner of the aquarium specifically at the very surface. Is this normal behavior ? So far none of his tank mates have paid him any mind aside from my purple tang ( king of the tank) who flashed at him once and swam off.

20191213_215715.jpg 20191213_215710.jpg 20191213_215646.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still uneasy and unsettle. He will be fine after a few days. How big is your tank and what are the fishes in it?
Naoko wrasse is a very bold wrasse. He will hold his own fine against all the other wrasses, even with those much larger. I would not worry about it. I would recommend that he is not in small tank with docile wrasses. In large tanks, mine is 320 gal DT, he will be fine.
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg

OP
OP
J

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still uneasy and unsettle. He will be fine after a few days. How big is your tank and what are the fishes in it?
Naoko wrasse is a very bold wrasse. He will hold his own fine against all the other wrasses, even with those much larger. I would not worry about it. I would recommend that he is not in small tank with docile wrasses. In large tanks, mine is 320 gal DT, he will be fine.
NaokoFairy2019092401watermarked.jpg
Thank you for the reply. He is in a 120g. I have him housed with 2 occelarus clowns, 3 lyretail anthias, 1 azure damsel, 1 long nose hawk and a purple tang.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s usually a reaction to aggression/bullying.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the fish you have should bother the Naoko. He is a very beautiful wrasse but you may have problem with adding other Fairy wrasse from now on

OP
OP
J

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fully agree.

I've been staying in front of the tank for long lengths of time to see if there is anyone bullying him but I haven't seen anything. He no longer stays at the top of the tank , he is now hiding in the rockwork & rarely comes out. I hope he breaks out of his shell as it's a very beautiful fish. The only aggression I've observed are my clownfish fighting one another.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating? If he is he should be fine, even if he is the smallest of the wrasses.
Mine was the smallest and my tank have some fairly aggressive wrasses

OP
OP
J

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating? If he is he should be fine, even if he is the smallest of the wrasses.
Mine was the smallest and my tank have some fairly aggressive wrasses
Yes he is eating. He comes out during feeding eats and then goes right back to hiding.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He comes out during feeding eats and then goes right back to hiding.
That's further behavior of being bullied.
I hear you that you're making an effort to try to figure it out; sometimes it's really quick and infrequent.

It is possible that it's just super spooky and yet to settle in, but that's definitely not what all the evidence suggests.

OP
OP
J

jbeanz24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's further behavior of being bullied.
I hear you that you're making an effort to try to figure it out; sometimes it's really quick and infrequent.

It is possible that it's just super spooky and yet to settle in, but that's definitely not what all the evidence suggests.
I think I figured it out. He may have been spooked by some in direct aggression. When I started my tank i had 4 clown fish two occelarus and two skunks. One of the skunks had jumped to his death prior to me adding my screen top. The three remaining clowns lived peacefully for quite some time. It seems that the occelarus have reached sexual maturity and paired, a switch went off and they had been chasing and attacking the skunk clown relentlessly. This began about the same time the wrasse was added to the tank last friday. I assume maybe the wrasse was spooked as he saw the other clowns behaving so aggressively . I was finally able to catch the skunk clown via a bottle trap tuesday evening . As of today the occelarus clowns are relaxed and the Naoko wrasse is out and about. I am very happy to see him exploring.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back