New ORA Maxima

And that's all she wrote. Not sure if this was PMD or just an unhealthy clam from the get go. Now that I can see it's full shell from top down it may have been done before I even got it.

20191019_172144.jpg
 
Maximas can be very difficult to keep. Sorry to read about losing the clam.
 
This picture Friday does not look bad
1178964-e98b6cd10aa1c069193f35189a7a8c87.jpg


This picture Friday does not look good but the light is out, which could result in not fully extended
1179300-1c63f8de32e8dc78551e5c74c53a0f77.jpg


This picture yesterday show a dead Maxima. The shell have no new growth for a while. Not a healthy Maxima from looking at the shell.
1180068-509fe2fe773145917ecc248f072a9212.jpg


This is too quick, IME, to be PMD. The Maxima have been doing poorly and just run out of reserve and died. This is what reefers often said that "...clams look line and healthy then dead...", as in the first picture Friday (looking good IMO), then dead by Saturday. I cannot stress enough that when buying clams, new growth on the shell is of utmost important, then how well open the mantle of the clam is when you see him.
 
The first pic shows PMD IMO and I would've freshwater dipped at the first sign. I've seen PMD wipe through clams quickly. The last pic does have new growth, looks pretty white to me. Anyway, not here to argue, just tried to help a reefer. Agree to disagree
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new