OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is mantle curling normal on a new clam? I swear my luck with these things are pitiful.

20191011_170828.jpg

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2" ORA blue maxima went through some weeks where the mantle was retracted in a certain area...then those would recover and it would be retracted in another area... etc. But it eventually recovered from it all and has grown a good amount of new shell. I never gave it a freshwater dip because he attached right away after I added him and I thought that disrupting the byssal attachment would be more bad than good.

Make sure the clam is getting plenty of light. Maxima clams (and croceas) especially really do need extremely bright lighting to be happy. I suspect that poor lighting is the reason many of these small maximas don't make it. People treat them like acropora and are conservative with light exposure. But clams aren't coral - they need and can easily take extremely bright light. Back in the day I had a blue crocea about 12" directly under a 400watt 6500K Iwasaki - and he was happy as a clam for years!

TexasReefer82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An additional thought - my ORA maxima is only open fully during the mid day when all lights are on and at their brightest (4xT5 and 2x AI Hydra 26 HD's). Once the first set of T5 turns off at 5pm he half closes up.

The blue and green clams want more light than the browns and golds.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is pinched mantle then yes, it can spread. While the clam.is healthy enough I would move forward with trying a dip.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Maxima look fine to me, other than maybe something seem to took a chunk out of the mantle on the L front part. The picture Saturday show retraction mid R side, which resolved by today without treatment. This does not look like PMD to me.
Please read my description of PMD. I will copy it here:

".....
I struggled with this disease for several years. These were my observation of Pinched Mantle Disease:

• The previously healthy clam, newly infected will appears healthy but will have retraction of one area of the mantle. This was not true with clam that was send to me sick, but always true with clams that were healthy then infected in my tank.
  • The irritated, diseased mantle always retracted at the same place and mantle retraction spread from there.
  • This disease affected all five species of Tridacna in my tank.
  • The disease was slow in onset and healthy clams can live for months with this disease. My large Gigas live for over 1 year with the disease until I cure him with FWD
  • Clam mantle retraction spread slowly from one area to adjacent area, rarely skipped area of mantles.
  • Disease spread from adjacent clams most easy but there are infections of clams at distance location. This is much more common when the numbers of clams that were infected in a tank increased.
  • Clams look better in AM, but mantles become much more irritated, more contracted by the end of the photoperiod.
  • As the days go on clams secrete strands of mucus that can be seen extended from the disease mantles
  • As the disease progress, the mantle retractions worsens and more, the diseased clam dies of starvation.
............."
Your clam retraction varies from place to place. It looks like something is bothering it but not PMD. I would not FWD him.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Maxima look fine to me, other than maybe something seem to took a chunk out of the mantle on the L front part. The picture Saturday show retraction mid R side, which resolved by today without treatment. This does not look like PMD to me.
Please read my description of PMD. I will copy it here:

".....
I struggled with this disease for several years. These were my observation of Pinched Mantle Disease:

• The previously healthy clam, newly infected will appears healthy but will have retraction of one area of the mantle. This was not true with clam that was send to me sick, but always true with clams that were healthy then infected in my tank.
  • The irritated, diseased mantle always retracted at the same place and mantle retraction spread from there.
  • This disease affected all five species of Tridacna in my tank.
  • The disease was slow in onset and healthy clams can live for months with this disease. My large Gigas live for over 1 year with the disease until I cure him with FWD
  • Clam mantle retraction spread slowly from one area to adjacent area, rarely skipped area of mantles.
  • Disease spread from adjacent clams most easy but there are infections of clams at distance location. This is much more common when the numbers of clams that were infected in a tank increased.
  • Clams look better in AM, but mantles become much more irritated, more contracted by the end of the photoperiod.
  • As the days go on clams secrete strands of mucus that can be seen extended from the disease mantles
  • As the disease progress, the mantle retractions worsens and more, the diseased clam dies of starvation.
............."
Your clam retraction varies from place to place. It looks like something is bothering it but not PMD. I would not FWD him.

I am not sure what it could be. There is really nothing in the tank. Lights are dimming down and this is what it looks like.

15714501535234676929631293289741.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pinched mantle can cause rapid decline in tridacna. The pic of your maxima definitely did not look fine. That's why I recommend dipping at the first signs as the clam will grow weaker by the day.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back