New orphek cube light

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mtraylor - I went with 3 with no light bars. This was after extensive talking with them on my design which they were great about. They answered all my questions and concerns. I am very interested to see if it is a spread type appearance or more spotlight appearance. I also ordered multiple lens sizes to try different configurations to see the impact. I have an Apogee device to measure par and will provide the results.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights arrived yesterday.

They are big lights, the they have some output on them. These shipped with 60 Degree Lens, and I need to place the 30 Degree Lens inside them as the spread from these 10 feet up is quite wide. I will be doing par and a video of them once I have them fully up and running.

As for initial thoughts, very well made can say almost commercial grade in quality. Heavy, much heavier then I thought. PAR values off the scale and can see that 100% is not going to be used.

Want to thank James for assisting me on this from Orphek, and the questions. He was great walking me through a few setup issues on one of the lights.
Light1.jpg

light2.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights arrived yesterday.

They are big lights, the they have some output on them. These shipped with 60 Degree Lens, and I need to place the 30 Degree Lens inside them as the spread from these 10 feet up is quite wide. I will be doing par and a video of them once I have them fully up and running.

As for initial thoughts, very well made can say almost commercial grade in quality. Heavy, much heavier then I thought. PAR values off the scale and can see that 100% is not going to be used.

Want to thank James for assisting me on this from Orphek, and the questions. He was great walking me through a few setup issues on one of the lights.
Yikes did they know you were hanging them 10 ft up?
At 30 degrees your beam spread is 5.36 ft in diameter..AFAICT
you got me curious..
This the tank?
96x30x25

And you are using 2?
7.5' from water line to light exiting surface (front of reflector) "calculates" a bit better..
Obviously some trial and error would be needed. Numbers are good but not absolute.

They should know their reflectors though..

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

No, I was in my living room testing and shining it on the ceiling and was surprised on how large the light spread was. What I told them exactly was 74" inches from the light to the bottom of the tank in the dining room. They recommended 3 Lights with 30 Degree Light reflectors, and not needing them at full intensity using the 3.

Uriken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be totally incorrect but being a Tidal Gardens fan I'm almost sure Than has had these over a couple of his systems at his coral farm for over a year. He does a lot of videos from inside the coral farm and there is one tank that gets in the videos quite often that I see these lights over and the tank has been running for sure over a year plus. I'm wondering if they just now hit the market for us hobbyist but been out for testing and trials to some of the private coral wholesalers? The tank I'm referring to I recall has all SPS in it and everything looks beautiful. He has them mounted pretty high over the tank as well.
I may be totally wrong and they are just look alikes of some other brand that Im not familiar with.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

No, I was in my living room testing and shining it on the ceiling and was surprised on how large the light spread was. What I told them exactly was 74" inches from the light to the bottom of the tank in the dining room. They recommended 3 Lights with 30 Degree Light reflectors, and not needing them at full intensity using the 3.
OK that makes a lot more sense.

Rough estimates to cut room spill and maximise photons entering the tank comes to 56" from light face to water surface.
That would be about 80" light face to substrate.

Soo close enough.

Thanks for clarifying.

Then there is spacing. Dividing the lights equally is not always the best choice.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I updated my build thread with the initial installation of the lights but wanted to also make sure I posted here. With the lights 7 Feet 2 Inches from the bottom of the tank and 30 degree reflectors installed I am getting the following Par Levels with the lights at 100%.

At the top of the Tank the PAR Reading was: 1861
Top of Tank.jpg

The PAR reading right below the water line was: 1025
Right below the Water.jpg

The PAR level in the middle of the tank was: 743
Middle of the Tank.jpg

Par Level at the Bottom of the Tank was: 508
Bottom of the Tank.jpg

We are placing egg crate at the bottom of the tank so we take take point readings equally before we remove the egg crates and place the live base rock into the tank.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. You are getting some serious par. How we do you like spread and look of light?

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mtraylor - The Spread is outstanding. For the lights being that far off the water and PAR it produces I can not complain. For the final settings I had to go down to a peak of 55% which provided me 220 Par on average on the tank bottom.

It does create a shimmer off the water on the bottom of the tank. Almost like your in the ocean underwater with the sun shining and looking at the sand and seeing the shimmers of light reflect off the sand.

I will take a few video's of the light in action. I ordered some camera lens so that I can filter out some of the blue.

I think 2 Lights may have also been enough based on the total spread but at the cost of turning them up or going back to the 60 degree reflectors based on the overall spread. 3 Of them cover the tank very nicely without any issues, and would been more with any other light manufacture.

Would for sure purchase again.

Last edited:

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to this page:

And explained I was looking to purchase the lights and within 24 hours a person from Orphek reached out to me and coordinated with me asking questions to determine the lens configuration. They will explain estimated shipping times and all the costs and if you wish to order then will invoice you.

Hope this helps :)

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back