New photographers don't get discouraged

hockeyhead019

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2017
Messages
566
Reaction score
576
Location
Philadelphia
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line, keep shooting! Don't feel like you can't produce decent results with a kit lens! Sure nice glass helps but good shots are still well within reach with just an extension tube and the kit lens.

I've been feeling a little discouraged myself lately after looking through some of the photo threads here and figured I would just give a shout out to any other lurkers who might be feeling the same. This stuff is hard and takes practice lol... here's a couple of my favorites from last night. Still working on the sharpness and amount of grain in these, both shot with a kit lens and 20mm tube


Frogspawn
by Jim , on Flickr


GSP
by Jim , on Flickr
 
Still nicer than my kit lense
 
Bottom line, keep shooting! Don't feel like you can't produce decent results with a kit lens! Sure nice glass helps but good shots are still well within reach with just an extension tube and the kit lens.

I've been feeling a little discouraged myself lately after looking through some of the photo threads here and figured I would just give a shout out to any other lurkers who might be feeling the same. This stuff is hard and takes practice lol... here's a couple of my favorites from last night. Still working on the sharpness and amount of grain in these, both shot with a kit lens and 20mm tube


Frogspawn
by Jim , on Flickr


GSP
by Jim , on Flickr

Agreed, just keep shooting. Just when I think I have made some progress, I'll shoot a whole morning away and not get a single good shot. The community here is very supportive and helpful without being judgmental. Very safe space to ask for help.

blondies-2 by Peter Young, on Flickr
 
Awesome post @hockeyhead019 (GO CAPS!!!!)

I am living proof as well

I bought my first DSLR about a two years ago. I had the lens it came with 18-55mm, and a $50 Pawn Shop 55-200mm with a broken Auto Focus (I prefered Manual anyways from using the rings in video)

After I took an major interest I splurged on a 18-300mm zoom (Wildlife and Sports shots from the sideline) lens and 35mm Prime (Action Sports video)...but I still use my "entry level" body and love it (Nikon D3300)

Maybe it's the BMX rider in me, but I find getting out of my "comfort zone" is the best way to progress. Thankfully in photography I end up with a blurry shot instead of a broken bone or two.

Then again...having a broken arm and wrist from the bike is what got me out walking the nature trails falling in love with my new DSLR camera.


Shameless mix of photos I am proud of over my last two years Most were shot with the starter lens:

_DSC0989.png _DSC0172.png _DSC1030.png _DSC1221.png _DSC0117.png _DSC0285.png _DSC0477.png _DSC0408.png 6e97d235709933.5717d24b885dd.png 9cb2a935709933.57014ba8a308d.png 13f96835709933.57ffb56eacadf.png 53c6fd35709933.5717d1ea8af40.png 462f8735709933.57014ba8a0da5.png cdd52f35709933.57014ba8a0733.png 0d7b5c35709289.571e277778f58.png 4c289335709289.571d86515344c.png 54a1fc35709289.571d86515617d.png 71bb4335710119.57014d5be8afe.png 14480480_996254457166742_6782715135546531508_o.jpg _DSC0121.png _DSC0530.png _DSC0124.png _DSC1021.png

DSC_0389.png
 
THANKS!

It's a messy balance of ISO and super high shutter speeds, but I edit / travel with the BMX guys and get a lot of practice between big tricks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new