new popbloom rs90

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

please this thread is discussing how to update and some useful information.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and simple.....

Yes i have 2 units, plan was to order third one during this month...

Regarding wifi board, i will see, thank you for link....

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we make a video to clearify what the WiFi module looks and how to replace the old "Turing" cords- boards with "Hertz" WiFi boards. (Turing is controller version. Hertz is WiFi version)

I will receive my lights Wednesday. Can't wait . How much are the WiFi modules??

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please do not hesitate to let me know, if you need my hands.

Nice and simple.....

Yes i have 2 units, plan was to order third one during this month...

Regarding wifi board, i will see, thank you for link..

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi, since you dont have corals now, you can put any setting you like. Personally, I prefer the 4 seasons setting. Maybe change to slow acclimation when you add some corals.
Hello Alain. whenever i tell reefers i have Popbloom Rs90 installed, they dont have a clue about their light and without knowing they assume that it wont be enough to grow corals. ive added some soft corals euphilias, hammers etc and i wan to add some sps frags as well. can you tell me if popbloom rs90 lights would suffice for optimal growth or should i get mainstreamed and add the radions and or orpheks?
thank you
Zaheer

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will grow anything, assuming you have enough units for tank size.... But that goes for all lights.....

Regarding par, they are in top output in that "90w" class, so no worries there.

Regarding spectrum, well, things are here bit complicated. It is just basic spectrum, ab+ is closest. By all means not bad, nice sharpness, nice colors, just dont expect "image quality" like some high end units have.

These lights are not meant to compete with radions, stratons, hydra, philips and other high end stuff, they simply can't.

But they are great options/alternative for low-middle range lights, they provide all that is needed for growth, coloration and health of corals.....

Being "red sea inspired", they look good, modern, white color is nice touch, for sure best than most, if not all black boxes out there, imho...

Edit: some torches, hammers, etc with these lights..bad quality pics, but good looking corals ;)

IMG_20221231_131853.jpg IMG_20221231_131836.jpg IMG_20221231_131843.jpg

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said . I've installed my rs90's and I think they look pretty good for the price. Took some getting used to from my hydor led lights. And my sps seem to like them so far so I'm happy .

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Alain. whenever i tell reefers i have Popbloom Rs90 installed, they dont have a clue about their light and without knowing they assume that it wont be enough to grow corals. ive added some soft corals euphilias, hammers etc and i wan to add some sps frags as well. can you tell me if popbloom rs90 lights would suffice for optimal growth or should i get mainstreamed and add the radions and or orpheks?
thank you
Zah
Going on my second year with them and I m growing everything at a very good rate. Started from frags, everything is now a big colony that have been fragged a bunch of time. If some people have trouble growing corals with these lights, they are certainly not the issue.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going on my second year with them and I m growing everything at a very good rate. Started from frags, everything is now a big colony that have been fragged a bunch of time. If some people have trouble growing corals with these lights, they are certainly not the issue.
Thank you Alain. i believe i wont switch the lights, i have 3 RS90,s in my 48x24x30 DT. i have added a couple of Torches, a couple of open brains and Hammers. the torches are thriving, hammers not so much. can i ask you your lights settings?

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear all,

we will go into Chinese New Year holiday from janu 12th to 31th.

The Beta test STOP now , All orders before 12th 24:00 (Chinese) has been send.

xin nian kuai le !
新年快乐

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad news today; 2 out of 4 power supplies stopped working. They are giving 13.4 volts instead of 24volts. One of them started bugging a few weeks ago for a few seconds once in a while. Hadnt much time to mess with it, so I just let it go as it was working correctly most of the time. Today, 2 light are very dim, so troubleshooted. Lights operate normally when one of the working power supply is connected. @Oliver@DSunY , are those power supply easily obtainable? Can I order at least 2 replacement? I think I will try to mount them on an elevated surface and cool them with a fan to help longevity (if heat is the issue; they were mounted flush on the wall with 2 cm between them)...1 dying is bad luck, 2 with the same age dying at the same time worry me a little...

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bad news today; 2 out of 4 power supplies stopped working. They are giving 13.4 volts instead of 24volts. One of them started bugging a few weeks ago for a few seconds once in a while. Hadnt much time to mess with it, so I just let it go as it was working correctly most of the time. Today, 2 light are very dim, so troubleshooted. Lights operate normally when one of the working power supply is connected. @Oliver@DSunY , are those power supply easily obtainable? Can I order at least 2 replacement? I think I will try to mount them on an elevated surface and cool them with a fan to help longevity (if heat is the issue; they were mounted flush on the wall with 2 cm between them)...1 dying is bad luck, 2 with the same age dying at the same time worry me a little...
Sounds like the ye ole bad cap syndrome.
Not to be too cynical looks like someone downgraded the "planned obsolescence" caps (3-5 years) with the even junkier ones (1-3 years)

/S

Just get a Meanwell 24v power supply and forget the oem ones.

Popbloom needs to find a new power supply provider.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will grow anything, assuming you have enough units for tank size.... But that goes for all lights.....

Regarding par, they are in top output in that "90w" class, so no worries there.

Regarding spectrum, well, things are here bit complicated. It is just basic spectrum, ab+ is closest. By all means not bad, nice sharpness, nice colors, just dont expect "image quality" like some high end units have.

These lights are not meant to compete with radions, stratons, hydra, philips and other high end stuff, they simply can't.

But they are great options/alternative for low-middle range lights, they provide all that is needed for growth, coloration and health of corals.....

Being "red sea inspired", they look good, modern, white color is nice touch, for sure best than most, if not all black boxes out there, imho...

Edit: some torches, hammers, etc with these lights..bad quality pics, but good looking corals ;)

IMG_20221231_131853.jpg IMG_20221231_131836.jpg IMG_20221231_131843.jpg
What light settings do you use??

Oliver@DSunY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all ch at 100%, ramp from 8am ch2, others from 9-12, then to 17 all max, then sunset to 21. Ch2 to 22.
The setting is very normal, I can sure it is suitable for your coral.
In fact, from the pictures you show, I see the coral is vivid and active.:) great !

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All is doing great, some problems with cyano, but not sure if this can be related to lights/intensity/duration, or what to do about it....

OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another power supply died. All defective capacitors...3 out of 4 dead. ordered 4 spare power supply while I wait for those from popbloom. Oliver is looking at problem, if it was a defective batch of if a fix need to be done. They have been working without issue for 2 years almost exactly. Anybody else had issue with power supply?
PXL_20230124_015130222.jpg
PXL_20230127_163656235.jpg

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another power supply died. All defective capacitors...3 out of 4 dead. ordered 4 spare power supply while I wait for those from popbloom. Oliver is looking at problem, if it was a defective batch of if a fix need to be done. They have been working without issue for 2 years almost exactly. Anybody else had issue with power supply?
PXL_20230124_015130222.jpg
PXL_20230127_163656235.jpg
I'm not going to be nice here.

That is one UGLY power supply.

Name on those caps say LOW-ESR.. more like LOSER...

Buy a better ps.. throw orig out..
Like a $50 "add on".

Looks to be worth every penny.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back