OP
OP
alain Bouchard

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not regret, for a single second, adding my 2x80w t5ho. Gives better spread, you can custom choose the spectrum you want to supplement, and it does give more par. But if you are a fan of shimmers, you might be better adding another rs90 if you really think you need more par.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said, not sure, corals seems ok, but, personal feeling is that there is too dim in tank, eye is not accurate measure, i have for now low light corala, but i plan to add more lps soon, not sure this will be enough.

Anemones are added two weeks ago, they dont move, but dont look right to me, they kinda small and shrunken.

Maybe i can try first to lower light at 8", now i keep them somewhat higher at 10", not sure that this will make huge difference?

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like i said, not sure, corals seems ok, but, personal feeling is that there is too dim in tank, eye is not accurate measure, i have for now low light corala, but i plan to add more lps soon, not sure this will be enough.

Anemones are added two weeks ago, they dont move, but dont look right to me, they kinda small and shrunken.

Maybe i can try first to lower light at 8", now i keep them somewhat higher at 10", not sure that this will make huge difference?
How big is your tank?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 130x62x62 in centimetres, or 55x25x25 roughly 500 liters or 130g.

I like blue tanks, but this looks to blue and dark in tank, i put them little higher than recommended, to avoid shock to corals, but, again, not sure that 2" will make that huge difference.

All channels at 100%, really dont know what others tanks look like when they drop power to channels, specialy white, to 20-30%.....

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 130x62x62 in centimetres, or 55x25x25 roughly 500 liters or 130g.

I like blue tanks, but this looks to blue and dark in tank, i put them little higher than recommended, to avoid shock to corals, but, again, not sure that 2" will make that huge difference.

All channels at 100%, really dont know what others tanks look like when they drop power to channels, specialy white, to 20-30%.....
Without a par meter you keep guessing. I would buy at least a Seneye Reef (cheapest option) or rent one.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for help, sadly, renting par meter or similar is impossible, and buying is not really a cheap option,shipping and import fees makes this insanely expensive, maybe its worth, but.....

Guess i'll need to live with this ;)

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for help, sadly, renting par meter or similar is impossible, and buying is not really a cheap option,shipping and import fees makes this insanely expensive, maybe its worth, but.....

Guess i'll need to live with this ;)
Seneye Reef is cheaper than a light and has the extra features of temperature/Ph/Ammonia monitoring.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, maybe in your country, in mine, shipping cost more than device.....

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am thinking about spraypainting mine black. Not that i like black more than white persé but because the underside around the light is white, there is way more reflection on the floor and in my eyes sitting on the couch than with a black color.
Will test it first with some black vinyl tape.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the test go, did u paint them yet?

I lowered %, instead of cranking channels to 100%, i adjusted them in 30-50% range, tank looks little darker than i used to, but corals dont seem to mind it at all, colors looks right, they are open.... Not sure will this affect growth, but, without meter, its all guesing, so i try to guess in oposite direction - how much can i reduce light. ;)

Slightly ot, did anyone actualy purchase light unit only, without controller, i tried to contact seller from who i purchased on ebay, but no reply, and i see here that is possible to buy light only......

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the test go, did u paint them yet?
I did put some black tape around the lens, but it didn't make much of a difference with lightbleeding into my eyes when i sit on the couch. I also thought the lightspread in the tank got a little less, so i took the tape off and don't think i will paint them black anymore.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone still happy with the rs90? Any regrets?
What i don't like about the rs90 is that you can't dial down the violets in the blue, like i can with my Kessil. I like "true blue" not blue with a pinkish/purplish hue but that's just personal.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So-so....

First excitement slowly wears out, its good lights, but, too many corners are cut, to many compromises....

Yes, they give light, but so does any led light, to be honest, 5-6 yeara ago i buld diy light with no name chinese 10w leds, one module is still in use on friends reef......

2x90w of these light vs my diy module with 120w mixed leds (6x royal blue, 6x25000k)..... This light is not even close in coral colors, overall apearance of tank, inhabitants....

thing thats better are look, size, and very limited and porly documented programing option, thats all.

Not to be very harsh and rude, this is ok product, for smaller tank where one or two units will be used, for new reefer to just plug them and leave it be, if one want more customizable light, skip this one.

No, i'm not dissapointed, in fact, i want to buy another unit without controller, but i'm unable to get any answer or directions from seller how to do that....

I still believe that with 3 unit on my tank things will be better, if i ever managed to buy one,

Aquagen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered 4 for a 6ft spsbuild. Will have 2 Sb reef actinic bars as well so shouldn't be short of light

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, similar product, with limited spectrum (in compare to red sea), but great par, still not bad and cheaper alternative.

Can someone explain little this ab+ spectrum setrings?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, similar product, with limited spectrum (in compare to red sea), but great par, still not bad and cheaper alternative.

Can someone explain little this ab+ spectrum setrings?
Since ATI blue plus t5 tubes were found to be one of the more errr "optimal" spectrums people have went and tried to emulate it with combinations of leds.
The 2 techs are different enough to cause some err ..oddities like the t5 green spike. So visually there are differences..

IF you want to know "how" to do it for a particular light.. well plenty of advice out there.
As a word of caution sometimes going a/b plus in a particular led may cut par levels below optimum depending on the light.
T5-compared-to-Orphek-1600x837.png

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much clearer, but with these light, par strenght is not in white channel, right?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much clearer, but with these light, par strenght is not in white channel, right?
Right..more wattage in the blue than the white channel. At least that is my understanding if they are redsea clones.
Total LED Power - 50 Watts

Reef Spec Blue - 40 Watts

8000K White - 10 Watts

Moon Lights - 3 Watts
VERY ROUGHLY white is 20% of the par.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 133 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back