New Predator tank I need HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I know this topic might become controversial but here is or was my plan lol

I want to setup a predator tank , mainly because I’ve always loved the Humu Picasso Trigger and Puffer fish.

So I was planning on setting up a 30 gallon tank with 1 clown trigger , 1 Picasso and 1 Procupine or Dogface puffer

Now I know some of you almost lost it with that last sentence but all 3 fish are about 2- 3 inches in length so they are very tiny, smallest I’ve actually seen at my LFS ever

I know they will grow and I’m prepared to upgrade the tank as they grow I even have the option of doing a saltwater pool for these monsters but…

My question and problem is I want to ease my parents into another tank and that’s the reason for the 30 gallon if not I would start with a 55, I also like the 40 Breeder too but they got no top and I really dislike that look with no top , so do you guys think it’s okay to add those 3 fish in the 30 gallon to start ??? Keep in mind they are on the small side but I am also leaning towards the 55 however I don’t just want to bombard my parents with another tank as I already have a 1000 gallon koi pond and a new Red Sea Reefer 350G2 lol

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very helpful if you just say bad idea with no reasoning or provide a suggestion
I think you dropped this in your original post -> "0"

A 300gal.

If you want a predatory fish for a 30gal, I'd go with a wart fish (angler fish) or the smallest dwarf fuzzy lionfish. And even then you are quite pushing it.

Also your parents a re footing the bill for already two huge fish tanks.

I say chill out with the fish, and reconsider when you grow up and get a job

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My picasso trigger. Started at 2 inches, was 5 inches in 4 months.
Clown trigger. Meanest trigger of them all. Had one in a hundred gallon by himself. Only fish that scared me to death.
They grow big and big fast and the mess they make needs an established biofilter to start.
That okay?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading your post, I get the sense you know it's a bad idea, but are seeking validation. Well, it is a bad idea.

All of these fish are already much too big for that tank. They may be small for now, but they'll be much more active than smaller species at the same size. Also, the two triggers will kill each other. And all of them would reach at least 6 inches within a year or two. It just isn't a good idea.

What if your parents say "No, you can't upgrade to a 300 gallon tank"? What will you do then?

Just don't do it. It isn't a good idea in any way. If you really want a predator tank, try to get a 55 gallon. That's the minimum size I'd suggest for a dedicated predator tank. That gives you room for a snowflake eel, toby puffer, dwarf lionfish, and a marine betta. You could also maybe add some other smaller fish.

A 30 gallon isn't the appropriate place for anything but a frogfish tank. You could maybe get away with a single dwarf lionfish, but no big open water hunters. It just won't work out.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the not the fish for a 30g. That would be a holding tank. If the 55g would be upgrade, still no. You'd still have to upgrade. Could you get away for a few months, sure.. but is that worth it? I'd wait until you have the right setup.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I know this topic might become controversial but here is or was my plan lol

I want to setup a predator tank , mainly because I’ve always loved the Humu Picasso Trigger and Puffer fish.

So I was planning on setting up a 30 gallon tank with 1 clown trigger , 1 Picasso and 1 Procupine or Dogface puffer

Now I know some of you almost lost it with that last sentence but all 3 fish are about 2- 3 inches in length so they are very tiny, smallest I’ve actually seen at my LFS ever

I know they will grow and I’m prepared to upgrade the tank as they grow I even have the option of doing a saltwater pool for these monsters but…

My question and problem is I want to ease my parents into another tank and that’s the reason for the 30 gallon if not I would start with a 55, I also like the 40 Breeder too but they got no top and I really dislike that look with no top , so do you guys think it’s okay to add those 3 fish in the 30 gallon to start ??? Keep in mind they are on the small side but I am also leaning towards the 55 however I don’t just want to bombard my parents with another tank as I already have a 1000 gallon koi pond and a new Red Sea Reefer 350G2 lol

Hey man, I did some stuff that was similar to this when I was young. I can tell you from experience that it is a bad idea. Not bc the water will get messy or it will be hard to maintain but these fish will certainly go after each other in a tank that small.

I have all these fish in a 230gal along with some other very aggressive predators and I'm still learning. I was pretty devastated when my Blue Line grouper went nuts and killed a couple of my fish.

It's a bummer but personally I learn best from my failures.

If you like these fish and all you can afford now is a 30 gal, I'd suggest just starting with the Humu. You will love it.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 in a different post. Beautiful tank and great aquascape. I've converted all my tanks to fowlrs. Maybe swap the two? Move corals and small fish to 30g and keep the predators in the G2. Probably sounds nuts for that nice of a tank but an option.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your Red Sea Reefer 350 G2 in a different post. Beautiful tank and great aquascape. I've converted all my tanks to fowlrs. Maybe swap the two? Move corals and small fish to 30g and keep the predators in the G2. Probably sounds nuts for that nice of a tank but an option.
Thanks but I don’t think I would trade my reef tank it’s my favorite lol

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, I did some stuff that was similar to this when I was young. I can tell you from experience that it is a bad idea. Not bc the water will get messy or it will be hard to maintain but these fish will certainly go after each other in a tank that small.

I have all these fish in a 230gal along with some other very aggressive predators and I'm still learning. I was pretty devastated when my Blue Line grouper went nuts and killed a couple of my fish.

It's a bummer but personally I learn best from my failures.

If you like these fish and all you can afford now is a 30 gal, I'd suggest just starting with the Humu. You will love it.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.
Thanks for the feedback , I was also considering that just keeping the humu, I know a lot of ppl got bothered but they really didn’t get it I guess the 30gal was mainly just a start, more of a holding tank until they grew out a bit of course I wouldn’t keep those fish in the 30 forever and I also have the option of getting a saltwater pool setup

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback , I was also considering that just keeping the humu, I know a lot of ppl got bothered but they really didn’t get it I guess the 30gal was mainly just a start, more of a holding tank until they grew out a bit of course I wouldn’t keep those fish in the 30 forever and I also have the option of getting a saltwater pool setup

If you have the option of getting a saltwater pool, do it now. If your parents won't get one for you now, what makes you think they will in the future?

One person has (incorrectly) told you that you might be able to get away with one of the three fish. Five have said that you shouldn't do it. That should be a very clear sign that what you're planning is a bad idea. And yet you brush it off as "they really didn't get it"? Really? I think I got it, and the answer wasn't what you were looking for. There's a big difference there.

Just wait before you get your dream fish. It sounds hard, but trust me. Looking at your build thread, it seems like you have a very nice reef tank. In order to be able to have a nice reef, you need to have patience. It's the same thing here.

I didn't add a yellow tang to my 65 gallon tank, not even temporarily. That decision really sucked to make, and I came close to adding one a few times, but I made it in the best interest of the fish. Keep in mind, that tank was only 10 gallons too small, while the your tank is 90 gallons too small for even one of the fish you want. But still, I made the decision to hold off on putting the tang in. I suggest you do the same. Enjoy the reef that you have now, and wait a few months to ask your parents for a 120 gallon tank (the minimum for a humu trigger). If they say no, wait a few months and ask again. If you're taking good care of the RS 350 and you have the space/finances for a new tank, eventually they might decide to allow you your predator tank.

Good luck.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you should exercise your patience mucles.
it just sounds bad, you will lie to your parents to get the tank that you know is too small for those fish and then you have to hope that they don't catch ich and die before you can convince your parents to let you have another bigger tank. I'm sorry but its childish, not the right way to show you can be responsible.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the option of getting a saltwater pool, do it now. If your parents won't get one for you now, what makes you think they will in the future?

One person has (incorrectly) told you that you might be able to get away with one of the three fish. Five have said that you shouldn't do it. That should be a very clear sign that what you're planning is a bad idea. And yet you brush it off as "they really didn't get it"? Really? I think I got it, and the answer wasn't what you were looking for. There's a big difference there.

Just wait before you get your dream fish. It sounds hard, but trust me. Looking at your build thread, it seems like you have a very nice reef tank. In order to be able to have a nice reef, you need to have patience. It's the same thing here.

I didn't add a yellow tang to my 65 gallon tank, not even temporarily. That decision really sucked to make, and I came close to adding one a few times, but I made it in the best interest of the fish. Keep in mind, that tank was only 10 gallons too small, while the your tank is 90 gallons too small for even one of the fish you want. But still, I made the decision to hold off on putting the tang in. I suggest you do the same. Enjoy the reef that you have now, and wait a few months to ask your parents for a 120 gallon tank (the minimum for a humu trigger). If they say no, wait a few months and ask again. If you're taking good care of the RS 350 and you have the space/finances for a new tank, eventually they might decide to allow you your predator tank.

Good luck.

LOL, loosen up bud. If you don't think that you can keep a tiny Humu in a 30 gal for at least a year you've never kept one or you've never seen what they keep them in in fish stores...

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, loosen up bud. If you don't think that you can keep a tiny Humu in a 30 gal for at least a year you've never kept one or you've never seen what they keep them in in fish stores...

A tiny fish turns into a bigger one. Shocking, I know. A 3" triggerfish is in the LFS for less than a month, this is a whole year. By the end of the year, it'll be 5". And at least with the fish in the LFS, it's almost guaranteed to be moving into a bigger tank. Here, OP doesn't even know if they will be able to upgrade. Patience is a virtue, and taking unneeded risks with animals is pointless.

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tiny fish turns into a bigger one. Shocking, I know. A 3" triggerfish is in the LFS for less than a month, this is a whole year. By the end of the year, it'll be 5". And at least with the fish in the LFS, it's almost guaranteed to be moving into a bigger tank. Here, OP doesn't even know if they will be able to upgrade. Patience is a virtue, and taking unneeded risks with animals is pointless.

I'm not trying to get into a big fish contest with you here BUT I've actually kept a lot of triggers. Yes, I do have what is considered a large tank,

Here is a tale of 3 triggers (that I currently keep)

- Undulated Trigger bought it at 3/4", had it approximately 6+ months and it might be an inch now...,maybe.
- Blue Line Trigger bought it a month ago maybe 2" it is now 3" (he shouldn't buy this fish)
- Humu Trigger bought it at 2", had it approximately 6+ months and it is probably 3 inches now

If he wants one of these fish I am saying the Humu is the best bet in a 30 gal solitary tank. Is it ideal, absolutely not but if he can't upgrade to a 55 in a matter of months/years then he probably won't last in the hobby.

There is a LFS around here that has a massive Lion Fish in a 30 gal, they have been trying to give it away for $130 for the last year. I've seen it do all the things that a "happy" fish is supposed to do. Would I do it? Absolutely not but if he's likely going to do this, I'm suggesting the least harmful option rather than the fun police mandate.

Apologies for the consistently terrible camera work...

Humu is at the bottom of the pic. I can barely ever even see my Undulated in a 230 its that tiny.

IMG_8756.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not trying to get into a big fish contest with you here BUT I've actually kept a lot of triggers. Yes, I do have what is considered a large tank,

Here is a tale of 3 triggers (that I currently keep)

- Undulated Trigger bought it at 3/4", had it approximately 6+ months and it might be an inch now...,maybe.
- Blue Line Trigger bought it a month ago maybe 2" it is now 3" (he shouldn't buy this fish)
- Humu Trigger bought it at 2", had it approximately 6+ months and it is probably 3 inches now

If he wants one of these fish I am saying the Humu is the best bet in a 30 gal solitary tank. Is it ideal, absolutely not but if he can't upgrade to a 55 in a matter of months/years then he probably won't last in the hobby.

There is a LFS around here that has a massive Lion Fish in a 30 gal, they have been trying to give it away for $130 for the last year. I've seen it do all the things that a "happy" fish is supposed to do. Would I do it? Absolutely not but if he's likely going to do this, I'm suggesting the least harmful option rather than the fun police mandate.

Apologies for the consistently terrible camera work...

Humu is at the bottom of the pic. I can barely ever even see my Undulated in a 230 its that tiny.

IMG_8756.jpg

Nice fish, they look very happy. Agree to disagree. I will say that since OP has a 80 gallon reef tank, maybe they should look into one of the reef safe species (blue throat, sargassum) instead of trying to keep a big fish in a nano tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back