New puffer help

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this guy today, acclimated and into quarantine. Hes breathing hard and hugging the filter, anything I need to be worried about?

Reposting from the other forum to add emergency tag.

#fishmedic
#fishmedics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both are never good signs
How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Did you match salinity?
What type of puffer?
Hanging in front of power head and heavy breathing often associated with velvet and in some cases flukes
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and what test kits are you using?

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are never good signs
How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Did you match salinity?
What type of puffer?
Hanging in front of power head and heavy breathing often associated with velvet and in some cases flukes
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and what test kits are you using?
Temp acclimate in the bag for 35 min, then drop for 1.5 hours. Salinity at the shop was 1.023, mine is 1.024 in the Q tank.

Porcupine Puffer.
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0

Tested with both Hannah and redsea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Annnnnnd im freaking out
Curled tail not abnormal with a porcupine
They are susceptible to ich and flukes but don’t assume this is the case
As long as levels good , salinity not elevated- should be fine
They seem to adapt slower to new surroundings
Adding air stone will assure adequate oxygen
Inspect daily the first few days for any unusual signs

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annnnnnd im freaking out

How does it look this morning?

Did you aerate the bag during the acclimation? 2 hours is pretty long - the fish will need supplemental air during that time.

Looks like you have it in a QT, good. I would start a coppersafe treatment today. As mentioned by @vetteguy53081 , this group of fish is very prone to disease, including ich.

Jay

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it look this morning?

Did you aerate the bag during the acclimation? 2 hours is pretty long - the fish will need supplemental air during that time.

Looks like you have it in a QT, good. I would start a coppersafe treatment today. As mentioned by @vetteguy53081 , this group of fish is very prone to disease, including ich.

Jay
Breathing slower this morning, still with a curled tail. Been using the rocks in the tank to hide a bit. Tried to feed shrimp this morning and he won't go anywhere near it.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also called the LFS, and found an issue. They guy who I talked to was misinformed and gave me the salinity of the frag tanks. The fish tanks are at 1.019 and I'm at 1.025.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I still have the acclimation tank I used and it tested at 1.020. So, me being an idiot and not double checking things, threw him from 1.020 to 1.025 in almost an instant. What can I do, if anything?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I still have the acclimation tank I used and it tested at 1.020. So, me being an idiot and not double checking things, threw him from 1.020 to 1.025 in almost an instant. What can I do, if anything?
Not an expert but sounds like osmotic shock. I don’t think there’s much else you can do as it’s already been introduced to higher sal water. Add an air stone, keep oxygen going. They’re in shock and gasping for air. Jay or vetteguy could probably give you better advice. Hope the little guy pulls through.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an expert but sounds like osmotic shock. I don’t think there’s much else you can do as it’s already been introduced to higher sal water. Add an air stone, keep oxygen going. They’re in shock and gasping for air. Jay or vetteguy could probably give you better advice. Hope the little guy pulls through.
I know you said your not an expert, but should I try reducing the salinity at this point? Or is it too late?

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said your not an expert, but should I try reducing the salinity at this point? Or is it too late?
You could try slowly reducing the sal to 1.019 and then raise it back to ~1.025, if it hasn’t been that long. Very slowly though, 45 minute drips might not cut it anymore. However, that’s probably what I would do and I am by no means an expert. If it were my puffer I would wait for someone who has more experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would leave it as is - the fish has already begun adapting to it, stressed out yes, but to suddenly take it in the other direction will just add to that stress.

Jay

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try slowly reducing the sal to 1.019 and then raise it back to ~1.025, if it hasn’t been that long. Very slowly though, 45 minute drips might not cut it anymore. However, that’s probably what I would do and I am by no means an expert. If it were my puffer I would wait for someone who has more experience.
I would leave it as is - the fish has already begun adapting to it, stressed out yes, but to suddenly take it in the other direction will just add to that stress.

Jay
Thanks for the clarification. This will certainly help in dealing with shock in my future QTs as well.

OP
OP
Baffels

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Good news. He's still lethargic, but did eat some shrimp from my tongs just now.

That's g... good new, ya?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back