Wrasse help!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help. For some context, on Friday I picked up a China wrasse from my LFS, she has been there for a month and was eating readily though a bit skinny. So I acclimated her and added her to my tank. The tank is a 120 gallon 9 month old system with no other fish then her. Anyway didn't see her for two days until yesterday I saw her laying on her side. She's still breathing though I tried tapping her with my coral pipette and there was hardly any reaction. Though she does track me with her eyes and shift when I open the sump door. Parameters are stable and listed below
Alk-8.4
Calcium-500
Magnesium-1280
Salinity-1.024
Tempature-75
Po4-.06
No3-~5
Her breathing rate is around 80 breaths pet minute. Hasn't moved overnight. Here's a video

My LFS did mention she was laying on her side when she first came in though I'm really concerned
#fishmedic

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm looks very stressed. Most sand bed dwelling wrasses come out of the sandbed when they are near death :(

Is anyone picking on it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the fish is moribund, it is usually not possible to bring them back from that point.

One thought - it was thin but eating at the store, but acting odd and not eating in your tank? To me, that implies something changed. One thing I see a lot of is when LFS hold fish at low salinity and then people try to acclimate them to full salinity when they get home - and any large rise in salinity is tough on fish. Do you know what salinity it came in at?

Jay

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the fish is moribund, it is usually not possible to bring them back from that point.

One thought - it was thin but eating at the store, but acting odd and not eating in your tank? To me, that implies something changed. One thing I see a lot of is when LFS hold fish at low salinity and then people try to acclimate them to full salinity when they get home - and any large rise in salinity is tough on fish. Do you know what salinity it came in at?

Jay
They only did once-Daily feedings at my LFS, I do not know what their salinity is at. Is it possible that the fish is top stressed/tired to swim? Only suggesting this as my LFS mentioned that she layed on her side for a few days after arrival. I did see her start to move though, but she hasn't gotten up.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only did once-Daily feedings at my LFS, I do not know what their salinity is at. Is it possible that the fish is top stressed/tired to swim? Only suggesting this as my LFS mentioned that she layed on her side for a few days after arrival. I did see her start to move though, but she hasn't gotten up.
Wrasse will lay on the tank bottom when exhausted or when they are preparing to bury themselves. However, when they rotate past vertical, it usually means they are moribund, unable to prop themselves upright.

Jay

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse will lay on the tank bottom when exhausted or when they are preparing to bury themselves. However, when they rotate past vertical, it usually means they are moribund, unable to prop themselves upright.

Jay
Should I try adding some food to see if she reacts?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you acclimate? What food do you have? Seems like a long shot when it's laying on its side like that, but ROE is one of the easiest foods to get them to eat imo.
I did a 30-40 minute acclimation, made sure to temp match the bag, added tank water every 10 min. I have 0
PE callinus and PE mysis. Though haven't tried feeding her yet

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thin? Was she pinched behind head or tail? If so it’s almost impossible to bring a wrasse back from that. Also that is behavior of a highly stressed wrasse. You poking it or hovering the tank will not help. If she ate at lfs and is thin then that tells me she had disease. Also if lfs salinity is low and you acclimated that is to fast for most wrasse. I will only raise salinity hold.001-.002 in 24 hours at most.
Sorry to say there probably is nothing you can do for her. China are not an easy one

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to find out what salinity the LFS had. I set up a "landing pad" tank for wrasses that I raise to 1.026sg slowly over multiple days, about 0.002sg per day. That's how I finally got a healthy leopard wrasse.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do NOT look well :(

Im so sorry but i think theres nothing anyone can do.

I would suggest euthanasia

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sleeping wrasse can’t bury when weak and they won’t go in the sand to die. Unfortunately it looks way too late for it.
Hope for the best
She won’t eat in that condition. Of it wants food it will hunt pods

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back