New reef tank. Please help!

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My new reef tank is 90wide x 20 high x 23 deep 160gal with 45 gal sump and fuge
Running a skimmer and roller mat
Fish:
3 blue yellow tailed damsels, 2 clowns, coral beauty, gold line rabbit fish, diamond goby
Also want 5 Bartlett’s anthias, yellow tang, purple tang, blue tang and royal gramma.
I was told rabbit fish should be given away once he reaches 12 inches.
Lps and softies. Please help me with selection. I should be good with these fish? How many corals, placement and spacing.
also have clean up crew and beginner frags from reefpalooza about 20 mostly lps and softy mostly It was so packed and crazy I don’t even know Exactly what I got lol
Brownish stuff on my top shelf rock I’m hoping is Caroline algae? I’m hoping it’s not algae bloom. Been about 6 weeks, did purple up and algae barn pods, phytoplankton...
Please help! 309FB990-5047-425E-AF72-F89FCA7CD6C4.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2650.MOV
    32.8 MB
  • IMG_2673.MOV
    1.5 MB

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the channel. Just about every new tank has diatoms, in my experience, do not do water changes. What I have done, I had an old max-jet, connected a hose to the exit end, and pump the tank water into a sock filter (I used a 10-micron). Keep in mind, the sock filter is in the tank water and I either brushed the rock and glass, used a turkey baster, or used the powerhead to blow off the diatoms. The pump will collect the loose diatoms and the sock filter would collect them and the water will return to the tank. This worked for us.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. My new reef tank is 90wide x 20 high x 23 deep 160gal with 45 gal sump and fuge
Running a skimmer and roller mat
Fish:
3 blue yellow tailed damsels, 2 clowns, coral beauty, gold line rabbit fish, diamond goby
Also want 5 Bartlett’s anthias, yellow tang, purple tang, blue tang and royal gramma.
I was told rabbit fish should be given away once he reaches 12 inches.
Lps and softies. Please help me with selection. I should be good with these fish? How many corals, placement and spacing.
also have clean up crew and beginner frags from reefpalooza about 20 mostly lps and softy mostly It was so packed and crazy I don’t even know Exactly what I got lol
Brownish stuff on my top shelf rock I’m hoping is Caroline algae? I’m hoping it’s not algae bloom. Been about 6 weeks, did purple up and algae barn pods, phytoplankton...
Please help! 309FB990-5047-425E-AF72-F89FCA7CD6C4.jpeg

Welcome!

Glad you joined! This is a helpful article if you haven't already found it here:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Factor potential growth size as you are establishing wish lists. Anthias need a bit of room for swimming/running/hiding. rabbit and coral beauty can become territorial again, factoring room.
The brown as mentioned is diatom and part of a tank cycling. If it really becomes bothersome. . . . . diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit
ir

, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back